“birthday treat march 2014”

Marine Hotel Ballycastle
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ballycastle
Belfast, United Kingdom
“birthday treat march 2014”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I was given 2 nights b&b for a birthday present.just before we went my friend who i invited along broke her ankle.I phoned and explained that she would be in a wheelchair.we got a great welcome on arrival.Our room was spacious for a wheelchair.beds very comfortable ,great nights sleep rooms very warm,.breakfast fab.staff great,very understanding.housekeeper very helpful holding doors open for easy access for wheelchair along corridor..on departure we were asked if we managed in the room with the wheelchair.there was ample room,just needed a walk in shower which we were told they were upgrading and putting in a shower.we will be back.

Room Tip: ask for seafront views brill
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
MHGenManager, General Manager at Marine Hotel Ballycastle, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Kawpun,
Thank you very much for you lovely comments, i am delighted you enjoyed your birthday treat even under difficult circumstances. We are continually striving to improve the guest experience at the Marine Hotel and this week we are upgrading one of our bedrooms to include a walk in shower.
I hope your friend is on the mend and a belated happy birthday to yourself.
I Look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Czech first
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two nights 24th & 25th March 2014. Just back home today and what a refreshing break. Special mention to Maureen on reception, who from arrival to departure was so helpful and went out of her way to fulfil all of our requests. Our room was lovely, clean and spacious. The food was gorgeous, we had dinner one night and a hearty breakfast each morning. The staff are so friendly and helpful and there is a real buzz around the Hotel with the busy coffee shop open to non residents.

As a golfer I can recommend a stay at this Hotel which is central to many of our outstanding courses on the North Coast of Ireland. We played at Ballycastle Golf Course, a links course within walking distance from the Hotel. We then played at Bushfoot Golf Club followed by Gracehill Golf Club which are both a short drive away. Other courses include the famous Royal Portrush. Portstewart, Castlerock and Galgorm Castle these are but a few.

The Hotel caters very well for groups, whilst we were there there was a large walking group. They availed of the beautiful country side surrounding Ballycastle and took a trip on the ferry to Rathlin Island.

We got a great deal with Groupon and will certainly be returning. Thanks to all the staff who were so attentive and especially reception who charged our batteries for our electric trolleys each night. Every other Hotel I have stayed at meant carrying those heavy batteries to our rooms to be charged. Look forward to our next visit.
Janet Connor
PRO
Irish Ladies Golf Union Ltd (Ulster District)

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Janet,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review, we pride ourselves on offering a relaxing break away whether its for a family break or a golfing break like yourself. The Marine Hotel is lucky to be at the heart of such fantastic golf courses that are all within a few kilometers of the hotel. I have passed on your kind comments to Maureen and all the team in the Hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Nice lunch menu and good friendly service with a lovely view from the restaurant/bar area. Lady at reception very helpful in getting payment of the bill sorted. So good to have such a good option on such an ideal site. Well done the Marine. Looking forward to a return in the near future.

Stayed March 2014
Dear DSP1963,
Thank you very much for your kind comments , i am delighted that you had a very relaxed lunch. Our team at the Marine really pride themselves in offering such an experience, we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

My husband and I stayed for one night and I am glad we hadn't booked a second. The room is very dated and although I can put up with that I cannot accept such uncomfortable beds. The mattresses are about 20 years old with a topper, my back was very sore the following morning. The room was cold and we had to ask for a heater as the heat had been turned off in the hotel. The extra blankets had dirty brown marks on them. The shower was also terrible with little pressure. The breakfast was also disappointing. I went to this hotel about 20 years ago and it is exactly the same!! I would recommend ballycastle but not this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carol S
MHGenManager, General Manager at Marine Hotel Ballycastle, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Carol S,
Thank you for your review, i was very disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are constantly working to improve our standards through out the hotel and always take our customers reviews very seriously.
Only This week we upgraded our breakfast offering, which now includes a full cold buffet offering.
I do hope you will return in the future so you can see the improvements that we are making to make your experience all the more enjoyable at The Marine Hotel
belfast
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My husband, daughter and i stayed for 2 nights over st patricks day. we have stayed here on a number of occasions of the last 12 years. we always have a lovely stay, great service, friendly staff and good breakfast. The staff even helped my husband to surprise me for my birthday by putting banners, balloons and prosecco in our room which was brilliant. I am sure we will return but i would say that there is room for improvement regarding the room decor and hotel facitlities. it would have been of great benefit if the country club was re opened.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Cathielanz,
Thank you very much for your kind comments, i am glad you enjoyed you stay with us and that you had an enjoyable birthday at the Hotel.
Our staff are our greatest assets and i have passed on your comments to all the team.
I Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future, when you will see the constant improvements we are making at the hotel.
Belfast
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I have to agree that the rooms need updating but that aside I really enjoyed the hotel,all the staff
i had contact with were friendly and helpful , the food was good and the breakfast was worth getting up for as it was very good with plenty of choice with happy smiling staff ,We had a very enjoyable stay and we will be back

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jimmy868
MHGenManager, General Manager at Marine Hotel Ballycastle, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Jimmy868,

Thank you very much for your review, i am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your kind comments to all the team, and i look forward to welcoming you back to The Marine Hotel.

london
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I had lunch here a few days ago with an old friend and enjoyed it so much I stayed for 6 hours! It took me ages to decide what to have as the menu was very appetising. I eventually plumped for the chicken caesars salad but not without putting Sean the waiter through his paces. Is the bacon crispy? Reply "i can make it crispy". Is the chicken warm? "I can make it warm" and then when it came, i asked for more dressing which was brought to me promptly. I was delighted with my choice as was my friend who had the marconi burger. It was all washed down with er, 3 bottles of merlot.We had a great afternoon with good food and excellent service.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank moiramcv
Dear Moiramcv,
Thank you very much for your lovely comments about our food and in particular Sean, he was delighted with the review, it is always nice for staff to get recognition from customers for all their hard work.
I agree The Marine Hotel really is a place you can pass your afternoon, enjoying good food and fantastic views of the sea.
I look forward to welcoming you again to the hotel in the near future.

Michael
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballycastle
The Fullerton Arms
#1 of 8 in Portrush
Galgorm Resort & Spa
Galgorm Resort & Spa
#1 of 6 in Ballymena

Been to Marine Hotel Ballycastle? Share your experiences!