“Excellent meal.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ballycastle
Northern Ireland
“Excellent meal.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Only had a main course but it was very tasty and I enjoyed every mouthful, would have scored it
5 out of 5 if the portion had been slightly larger.
Maybe that's just me being greedy as I do have a large appetite especially if the food tastes good.
Would certainly dine at the Marine again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JohnJames_10
MHGenManager, General Manager at Marine Hotel Ballycastle, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Johnjames_10,
Thank you for your review, I am glad you enjoyed your food at the hotel, i have passed on your kind comments and your advise in relation to the portion size to our kitchen team.
We find that that due to how delicious our food is our guests always want more, hopefully on your next visit we will have rectified this.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Czech first
Ballycastle, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Decided to take my family to The Marine for lunch following my Sons First Communion in the town.it was fairly busy but by no means full and we were seated immediately. Drinks orders taken and food ordered at just before 1pm.it went down hill from there unfortunately, visible lack of waiting staff on floor,had to go and find one 35 minutes later when our food still hadn't arrived.after waiting 40 mins I expected the food to be perfect but alas no my medium steak was overcooked and the chowder was more like a fish soup.not one member of waiting staff checked on our table and we were unable to order more drinks.after yet another search for the invisible waiting table staff we ordered desserts.when pavlova arrived my daughter began to eat it only to find a long thick hair baked into the meringue base.sought yet another member of staff who said she would get Manager.waiting staff member returned to inform us the manager was going to speak to the chef first when surely customers should have priority!a manager returned to inform us it was pastry brush hair and refunded the cost of the dessert.just one terrible experience of lunch in a hotel where staff seem inexperienced and incompetent,very disappointing indeed!

• Stayed May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank karenhotmum
Dear Karenhotmum,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the hotel, I was very disappointed to read of your experience here at The Marine, it is definitely not up to our usual high standards, I would be very grateful if you would contact me directly as I would like the opportunity to speak with you personally on your experience. Please contact me at gm@marinehotelballycastle.com

Antrim, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

The many cafes in Ballycastle are awful in catering for coeliacs! Having a local hotel that have created gluten free alternatives is very much appreciated.
I previously visited for a charity ball and was well catered to!

How ever I must comment that my visit today was a great experience where I got the gluten free battered cod and it was amazing!!! Not many understand the severity of food intolerances and how complex dining out is. I definitely will return -I fell accepted in that some effort from a Chef has produced an exciting yet classic dish and had changed my mood that day!
The smallest of things can make such a change, so thank you :)

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank R0sh7
Dear ROsh7,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your lovely review, we are very proud of our gluten free menu and our accreditation to the coeliac society, our chef Kevin is more than happy to speak with our customers about their needs and we feel this helps our guest relax and enjoy their dining experience to the fullest extent.
I look forward to welcoming you back and don't forget to spread the word on our gluten free menu.

N.Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

About 20 of us arrived on Friday 9th May for 2 nights to watch the Giro Cycle Race.

From the start to finish our stay was prefect due to the fact of the staff at the Marine Hotel, nothing was too much trouble. Our bikes were looked away safely in an office which was a nice touch.

Food in the bar was lovely and everything you'd want for breakfast.

Overall our cycle club from Omagh had a great weekend and we would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Irishlad66
Dear Irishlad66,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review , it was a pleasure for us to look after you and your colleagues on such an exciting weekend in the cycling calendar, it was fantastic to see all the riders coming down the hill at the front of the hotel. I have passed on your kind comments to all the team and I look forward to welcoming you all back on your next visit to Ballycastle

Ballymena, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We attended Marine hotel for family Sunday lunch after having family funeral during the week and also to celebrate my son and daughter in laws return from their honeymoon. There was 7 adults and 1 child. Our booking was for 3pm which afterwards we found that is last booking for Sunday carvery. The cold starters was lovely but unfortunately that was the best it would be. The next course was soup or sea food chowder , I'm not sure what receipe was used for the sea food chowder but it certainly wasnt anything like what we were expecting. Next was main course well there was pratically no choice, roast beef was finished turkey nearly finished portions that were being served were very small as obviously they were trying to make it stretch for all 7 of us. The vegetables were finished we asked for stuffing which was to be brought to our table but we never got it also they eventually brought us cabbage but we were finished by then.We had a child with us who we ordered chips for and we had to ask a second time for them and by the time they eventually came we had our dinner finished. The choice for dessert was trifle or trifle . There was 1 piece of cheesecake left and then when we went to get tea or coffee there was no clean cups left. We complained to assistant manager on our way out who agreed it was unacceptable , and he compensated us with a voucher for £40. When we got home I opened the voucher only to find out that it is only valid for Sunday lunch and certainly after our experience I'm not sure I would be rushing back for Sunday lunch again. Also on reflection we are not really very happy with voucher for £40 , certainly cost a lot more than that for 7 adults.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 551726Disgusted
Dear 551726 Disgusted.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience here at the hotel, I would very much appreciate it if you could contact me directly gm@marinehotelbalycastle.com, as I would be delighted to speak with you personally on your complaint.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We recently ate in Marconi Restaurant which is part of the hotel. Our son has Coeliac Disease and we find going out for meals quite hard going. I rang the hotel beforehand (as I always do) to ask what gluten free food they can provide for a child. The adult menu is very Coeliac friendly with most dishes marked as gluten free or able to adapt to gluten free. We were offered several meals for our son and he ended up choosing chicken goujons in a gluten free beer batter and chips followed by pavlova, chocolate sauce and marshmallows. We would all like to recommend the restaurant not only for its knowledge in Coeliac Disease but also for the quality of the food and the service which was fantastic.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sam T
Dear Sam T,
Thank you very much for your kind review, we are very proud of our gluten free menu and also of our accreditation to the Coeliac Society. We like to be able to offer people with the Coeliac disease the same choices as all or our guests and they can relax in the environment of the hotel and enjoy the experience. I am delighted that your son enjoyed his meal at the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you all back to the hotel very soon.

Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a weekend with a walking club on a group outing. I was very impressed with the location of the hotel which was fronted by a lovely beach. The town of Ballycastle is beautifully kept with not a bit of litter in sight. It is not home to tacky casinos or takeaways like many seaside resorts and the local business people are very friendly. The hotel reception staff were ecceptional in their welcome and eagerness to help. The restaurant and bar staff were also very friendly. There was a great variety of gluten free foods and vegetarian options on the menu. Food was quite nice but I would have liked a bit more variety of vegetables with my meal. Breakfast was very nice and variety was adequate. We had a lovely bedroom facing the beach and the view was lovely. My one complaint would be that one shower gel and shampoo per day for two guests wasnt great especially for walkers. However, the beds were comfy and room was cosy.I would definitely stay in the Marine Hotel in Ballycastle agsin.

• Stayed May 2014
      Rooms
Dear 190Lucy,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I was delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that that you were impressed with Ballycastle Town. We strive to offer a welcoming and enjoyable experience here at the hotel and our staff are an integral part of that, I have passed on your kind comments to the reception team and also passed on your advise to the housekeeping team.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.
Michael
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballycastle
The Fullerton Arms
#3 of 3 in Bushmills
Portrush Atlantic Hotel
Portrush Atlantic Hotel
#4 of 8 in Portrush

Been to Marine Hotel Ballycastle? Share your experiences!