“Average Room with excellent views and excellent service”

Marine Hotel Ballycastle
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ballycastle
Australia
“Average Room with excellent views and excellent service”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This hotel looks good from the outside. We walked in off the street and booked a room with a sea view. All the staff were very friendly and professional especially Nula on reception who offered great advice on what to see and do around the area and made us feel very welcome. The room was clean and comfortable however with a few short comings such a leaking roof in the bathroom at midnight, constantly running toilet and rusty hand rails over the bath.
The food was excellent and being a Coeliac I was extremely well catered for with a menu that had an excellent range of choices. We would definitely stay at this hotel again if the opportunity arises.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anthonydonna
MHGenManager, General Manager at Marine Hotel Ballycastle, responded to this review, 9 November 2014
Dear Anthonydonna,
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, it was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are planning the first phase of our bedroom refurbishment in January and we hope to alleviate some of the problems that you mentioned. It is nice to see that you would choose us again on your next visit to the North Coast.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Marine hotel where you will see the improvements we are making.
Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Czech first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

View from the room was great looking out to sea. The room was clean and spacious. The only drawback being that the room walls were paper thin. The first night was fine as no one was next door but on the second night two American girls came in early in the morning and you could hear every word. Again first thing when they woke we got a blow by blow account of the previous evening. The breakfast was fine but the fried eggs were hard - not how I like them. The breakfast staff were helpful and when my wife asked if there was scrambled eggs the girl said no but she would get some prepared if we wished. The restaurant staff were less helpful and could have smiled more. All in all it was fine and a decent base to visit some of the local attractions for a couple of days.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a sea view. You can sit with a cup of tea and watch the world go by. Rooms at the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JBM1960
Dear JBM1960,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel, it was great to read you had an enjoyable experience with us. My apologies for your "neighbours" who disturbed you, i can assure you that our walls are of regulation thickness with any hotel but sometimes it can just be the volume of the occupants.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next tour of the North Coast.
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Dined here on August Bank Monday and found the food and prompt service very good and friendly.The hotel was very busy but the staff were very accommodating and were served very nice freshly cooked food.Its a very pleasant hotel with a lovely view and is very well maintained. Did not stay as the hotel was booked out due to a wedding reception. Better luck next time.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ballycane
Dear Ballycane,
Thank you very much for your lovely review, it was great to read you enjoyed your experience at the hotel. I do hope we have availability on your next visit to Ballycastle so you get to enjoy being a resident also.
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed in the hotel for one night; a situation which will never be repeated. The entire hotel has an air of once having been quite grand, but is now unfortunately quite decrepit. The actual room we stayed in, upon first glance, seemed to be fine. I attempted to have a shower (attempted being the operative word!) to find that the pressure was akin to being spat upon, and the water veered erratically from luke warm to freezing cold. My husband (185cm tall) couldn't actually physically fit underneath the shower head, as it was placed so low. I complained at reception; although I was told that it would be looked at, absolutely nothing was done.
We ate in the bar, the food was fine, and although the staff were generally quite friendly, there was quite a long wait for the food.
The next morning, while packing up I was looking for my son's toy, and looked between the bed he'd slept in and the locker, to find what I can only surmise were three shriveled grapes. I can't be certain as they were so old and slightly rotten, it was impossible to determine for sure. When I complained at reception, the duty manager told me that if I'd complained the night before we would have been moved. I explained I hadn't been aware just how dirty it was until I went looking for my child's toy. He gave the distinct impression that I was trying to pull a fast one by refusing to pay the full rate. I explained that I had complained the previous night about the shower, to which he said it was the first he'd heard of it. In the end he offered us a "super saver midweek rate" which took 20% off our room total. When I enquired why we hadn't been offered the rate to begin with, we were told we'd booked online and it wasn't available there.
In fairness, the girl who actually processed our payment was very polite, and seemed to be mortified by the whole situation (it was to her I'd complained to about the shower and she had been given to understand that the duty manager had followed up on this) and I have to say I felt sorry for her. The duty manager never once apologised for the state of the room, and in general made us feel like we were being awkward purely to try and get a cheaper rate on the room.
If you are looking for somewhere to stay in the vicinity, my best advice would be to keep looking!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Helen M
Dear Helen M,
Thank you taking the time to write your review, i was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us, i was however glad to read your nice comments in relation to the staff and our food.
I can only offer my apologies for your experience and for the reaction that you received from the manager on duty it is certainly not the hotels way of dealing with such issues. We continuously try to improve our teams training with such programmes as World Host but unfortunately it was not evident on this occasion.
I n relation to the shower i can assure you that we have never received such a complaint before but we are starting phase one of our bedroom refurbishment in January and it is something that we will investigate to ensure it is not an ongoing problem.
I do hope you change your mind about visiting us again when our refurbishment has been carried out.
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We ate here on a Monday lunchtime during the summer. We were early enough to get a seat by the window which was lovely, but the restaurant did fill up quickly. Portion sizes were generous and food was tasty. The menu had a great selection (along with specials), although not all were available on the day. Things that let it down were that the staff weren't the friendliest, and the restaurant initially had the TV on, which irked me... otherwise, great spot for lunch. Would recommend for a good, hearty feed.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Orla K
Dear Orla K,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review, it was great to hear that you enjoyed your food at the hotel and apologise that the staff were not up to our usual high standard n the day we you were with us.
The TV debate in a bar is one that will continuously rage as some people like it on and some do not so it is hard to please everyone. I am glad though that it didnt spoil your lunch.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Ballycastle.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Called in on a Sunday evening and was able to get a table for two without a reservation. I had the bean burrito and he had the cock and bull dish. Was very disappointed that the menu did not clearly state what dishes were suitable for vegetarians..the goats cheese dish had no "V" so didnt know if it was suitable and the Seafood salad did have a "V" but vegetarians don't eat fish! Food didnt take too long in coming to the table, he could have done with a bit more champ so ended up eating some of my bread, which was really nice and would love the recipe. Took a while to get the waiter's attention to get a sweet menu and the bill, though it was a nice spot at the window and we were able to watch the world go by. Would love to give the place another go, but get really irked when Veggie options aren't clearly marked on menus.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Therese M
Dear ThereseM,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, i was disappointed to read that you felt our menus did not mark which dishes were suitable for vegetarians, we do always try and mark everything that is suitable to all our guests dietary needs including vegetarian and gluten free, but we will certainly look at it again when we are reprinting our new menu for any errors that we may have made.
I am glad you enjoyed your food, and especially our bread, i have asked the chef for the recipe but he said its an old family one and cant give it out.
I do hope that you will return to the hotel in the near future.
Ballycastle, Ireland
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My partner and I were out for Sunday dinner recently in the Marine and I have to say that the food was lovely, the choice of cold starters were great and there was also a good range of hot starters including sea food chowder and soup to choose from, the choices for the main course was second to none. The selection of deserts were very impressive and the staff were very friendly and attentive. I will most certainly be back again soon.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cocode1979
Dear Cocode1979,
Thank you very much for writing such a lovely review it is always great to get positive feed back. I have passed on your kind comment to all the team.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Michael
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballycastle
The Fullerton Arms
#4 of 8 in Portrush
Inn on the Coast
Inn on the Coast
#2 of 8 in Portrush

Been to Marine Hotel Ballycastle? Share your experiences!