“Good value day out”

Navan Centre & Fort
Ranked #2 of 37 things to do in Armagh
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Friendly and well informed staff. Really interesting combination of facts and information, and opportunity to walk to and up the Fort itself.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Had a fun morning in the centre. We were the first people there so they opened the cinema section for us and started the movie immediately, which was great! The movie-documentary-information show thing was also the highlight of the trip for me. It was well done and entertaining as well as informative.

The walk-around-and-look-at-stuff bit was also good, though some of the bits are clearly aimed at children and were a little slow-paced for me. Also several of the exhibit screens were broken, which was a shame. This is the main reason I docked them a point.

We got some advice from a very helpful and super informative lady, her names escapes me because I’m horrible with names, but she sounded Canadian and said she lived in Scotland for a bit. She drew us out a nice map of how to drive to the fort-proper (it was raining way too hard to walk) and told us some of the more recent history of the area, which was cool.

The fort-proper would be a great place to visit on days where it isn’t blowing a gale and pissing it down, bluntly. I’d like to go back in the summer at some point! It was still a very interesting place to go visit, it was just a short and muddy visit this time. A fun ~2-3 hours to be had at Navan, more if you go on a nice day and plan a picnic.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Very entertaining for Halloween. Catered well for the children with activities stories etc. very good realistic exhibitions and displays which both children and adults enjoyed. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Having spent a few days over Easter with my family in Co. Down we decided to travel home via armagh having heard about this attraction but never actually been so were were excited!
Firstly, it's not very well sign posted and we wern't sure wether we'd missed it or not. The entrance itself and the actual building being underground was interesting but we were unaware that you had to book in advance and so were very dissapointed when we couldn't do the tour and I have to say the staff wern't that pleasant.....we basically travelled all that way for Nothing!:( we got to see a round structure but it was locked so all in all the whole experience was Not great! Unless you're in the area and have pre booked a tour in my opinion it's Not worth the effort.

2  Thank jellybean498
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Went to little spooks with the family as part of our halloween activities - had to purchase a ticket for my one year baby who was non participating at all

Started off with a "quest" storyteller was good (girl/witch) not great but done ok, tried hard to keep kids engaged throughout so this is what has lead me to the average rating and not poor!

Moved on to the scarecrow
I think everyone was wondering what this was all about
This was fairly boring but moved on to the craft very quickly to hear more dragged out stories which was not interesting for the kids at all
I personally found this hard to listen to
The craft activity had so much opportunity to be brilliant
Disappointing would be the word to use here as the scarecrow was a one woman band with a fair few kids and parents
Kids got bored and run round the room
I think the Navan centre should view this and perhaps add more staff in on this particular part of the "little spooks"
Face painting was ok
Eventually after a long boring activity we were dragged up to the outdoor hut to the male scarecrow who was ok but again left stood wondering what we were doing there at all? The two scarecrows talked on
Quite boring and I really had my fix at this point and wanted to go on as did the rest of my family!

Wouldn't recommend this particular activity to others as its yes only £6 but its hard to keep the kids engaged throughout after the quest section has ended!!

Maybe take a leaf from last years christmas play and add that in there instead of all the scarecrow business

1  Thank Deborah M