Armagh City Hotel
US$196
Ashleigh House(Monaghan)(Great Value!)
US$98
  • Breakfast included
Westenra Arms Hotel(Monaghan)(Great Value!)
US$160
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsleisure facilitiesgood sizereception areabusy hotelbuffet stylecoffee barsingle bedarmagh citysaturday nightsteakcar parkingfood was lovelyweekend breakbar restaurantwedding receptionplenty of parkingafternoon tea
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 January 2011

I stayed here for one Saturday night with my husband, as we were attending an awards dinner in the conferencing suite.

Arrived at about 7pm, check in was efficient and quick. Room had a very large bed and a single bed. Room was clean and spacious, facilities basic but comfortable (with ironing facilities and tea/coffee) - in style of Premier Inn or similar.

Dinner at the awards function was very good for the numbers of people (approx 350), and service was extremely good.

Having retired to bed earlyish, I found the rooms to be quite hot and whilst the bed was extremely comfortable, I was woken on several occasions by noise from other guests coming back to their rooms in the early hours.

Breakfast was standard buffet style breakfast, which finished at 10am on the Sunday morning (a bit early!).

LA Fitness provides the gym/ pool facilities. We had plannned to have a quick swim before breakfast, however as the gym did not open until 9am, and there was a charge of £5 per person, we decided to head straight for breakfast. There are some limited times available where hotel guests may use the gym etc for free (e.g. 3-5pm at weekends).

Check out was a bit fraught as the one person was answering phones and trying to check out guests at the same time, but overall reasonably quick.

In sumary, I would return to the hotel for weddings, parties and events but it is not somewhere for a relaxing or romantic weekend.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel and I was quite looking forward to it as I thought it seemed quite nice with good facilities---humm I was quite disappointed.

The room on arrival was a bit dreary but quite clean. I had a double room but found that this was just two single beds pushed together (I hate that!!!). The room could do with a little update as is looking a bit tired.

I decided to get out of the room for a little break and a cheer up in the gym / spa---humm wrong again! Hotel guests don't actually have full access to the leisure centre, it is restricted to Monday-Friday 15:00-!8:00 hrs Saturday-Sunday 15:00-17:00. Crazy! When I did go to the spa I was told that I had to wear a pool hat, which was fine-though the cost of this was £6 so if you have one bring it with you.

Decided to go down to the restaurnt for a meal-restaurant is closed Monday and Tuesday and you have to eat in the bar, which it turns out was quite good for food, luckily but to have the choice of eating in the restaurant on each night of your stay would be nice.

So to destress a litle I thought I would get a treatment in the spa--GUESS WHAT the spa only opened Thurs-Sat. The hotel were unable to book any treatments for me as they did not have the beauticians diary. They gave me the beauticians mobile number so that I could ring her myself and try to book an appointment on a day that the spa was actually open! I could not get speaking to the beatician and they did not call me back so no spa treatment either!

There is internet available in the foyer, but as you have probably guessed it is not free.

On the whole this was not a relaxing trip at all. The hotel seems to concentrate more on conferences and passing trade. As I said the food in the bar is quite good. When I eventually got to eat in the restaurant it was quite good too. The place was clean and house keeping good. If you want somewhere to just stay the night and leave then this is ok. However if you are looking for somewhere to go for a relaxing break and to spend time in the hotel then this is not for you. It is advertised as having loads of facilities readily available but it turns out that these are fairly restricted and not that user friendly.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Teamhoney_10
Reviewed 30 August 2010

My husband and were passining through Armagh Aug 29th, we called into the city hotel for a couple of drinks. I could not speak highly enough of the staff in the hotel. I would especially like to thank Pat (Night manager) who is, in my opinion a hidden gem in the hotel, truly worth his weight in gold. Nothing was a problem to him. So thank-you Pat for your hospitality. Every hotel should have some-one like you. Although we didn't have something to eat that night, I can highly recommend the restaurant, it is excellent, as is the bar menu and the carvery.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2010

We stayed here as we were attending a wedding in Portadown. Armagh City Hotel was very nice, great breakfast and helpful staff. Rooms were large, quiet, and beds were very comfortable. Because this is a small town there were not many places to eat at for dinner. We ate our dinners at the hotel and they were very good, presented well, and helpful staff. They had early bird specials and we had steak for two which was cooked as desired and delicious. We had no complaints with this hotel and recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in this area of Northern Ireland.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2010

It obviously depends on when you stay at this hotel what sort of experience you have. We stayed on a Wednesday night in a deluxe room, at a rate of £130, overlooking the car park and had no complaints about noise.

The receptionist on check in and indeed throughout our stay was one of the best I have come across - very professional and helpful and instilled confidence in us about our stay. Room was fine and had everything you need in a room including a flat screen TV on the wall and tea and coffee making facilities. We ate in the restaurant and had a lovely meal - no complaints at all. It opens up to one of the best and biggest outside decking areas I have seen complete with parasols and heaters. If it hadn't been raining we would have taken full advantage of it.

The reception area is really nice with a coffee shop for sandwiches, tray bakes etc. The lady, who seemed to work there all the time, was lovely. Very helpful.

Again, breakfast the next morning was good with a buffet style for the cooked breakfast with sausage, bacon, hash browns, soda and potato bread, mushrooms and baked beans. Eggs were freshly fried as you asked for them which they weren't like rubber from having sat about for too long. There was also fresh fruit, cereal and juices.

The only thing which let the hotel down was its beauty facilities. After having walked round Armagh, with half day closing, in the pouring rain, I came back to the Hotel having talked myself into a massage only to be told that the therapist isn't on site and you can only have a massage in the hotel if you pre-book so that she can come to the Hotel. I didn't know in advance I was staying!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple