“Reasonable hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Armagh
northern ireland
“Reasonable hotel”
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Stayed for a Saturday night. Food and service were good. However the heat in the rooms and corridors of the hotel is very uncomfortable. Even after keeping the windows open all evening the heat was suffocating.

• Stayed May 2011
hgibson, Head of Sales at Armagh City Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Armagh City Hotel and for your high rating. Since April was had such lovely weather, we turned the heating temperature down. In the last few weeks, with the deterioration in the weather, we have once again turned the heating termperature up. I am sorry if you found it too warm and that this hasn't deterred you from visiting us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
cork
Reviewed 15 May 2011

This hotel has become tired and is in need of a 'lift'. The room is ok. I don;t like the open shelving instead of a proper wardrobe. The room I was in had a king bed and a single bed which struck me as old-fashioned and there was nowhere as a result - space-wise - to put a suitcase (other than on the spare bed).

The bathroom floor tiles - a sort of slate - were very grotty. Against that there was a good powerful shower.

Internet access was for a fee.

My biggest criticism is of the breakfast: terrible scrambled eggs - worst ever - and not just on a one off: three mornings in a row. Had lunch two days: not up to much.

Having said all that, the staff are friendly.

Having stayed here over a number of years I would say that this hotel has gone down.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank b2dac
hgibson, Head of Sales at Armagh City Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at the Armagh City Hotel. We are all very sorry to read that you didn't enjoy it. In response to requests for extra comfort, we have put king size beds in some of our family rooms...you are the first person to complain and they are usually praised for their comfort and I am sorry that it didn't suit you.
As one of our regular guests, you will already be aware of the good standard of breakfast at the Hotel and I'm sorry that it didn't meet with your expectation. I've spoken to the Chef and we will certainly ensure that scrambled eggs at the Hotel are returned to the usual high standard. I hope you decide to return to the Hotel and I when you do, we would be glad to upgrade you to one of the Superior rooms. Thank you again for your review. We encourage and welcome feedback. (Helen)
cookstown
Reviewed 2 May 2011

was at a wedding last week at armagh city hotel. I have to say the where so well organised and professional it was a pleasure to be at, and iam looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank colourfull121
Belfast
Reviewed 23 January 2011

I stayed here for one Saturday night with my husband, as we were attending an awards dinner in the conferencing suite.

Arrived at about 7pm, check in was efficient and quick. Room had a very large bed and a single bed. Room was clean and spacious, facilities basic but comfortable (with ironing facilities and tea/coffee) - in style of Premier Inn or similar.

Dinner at the awards function was very good for the numbers of people (approx 350), and service was extremely good.

Having retired to bed earlyish, I found the rooms to be quite hot and whilst the bed was extremely comfortable, I was woken on several occasions by noise from other guests coming back to their rooms in the early hours.

Breakfast was standard buffet style breakfast, which finished at 10am on the Sunday morning (a bit early!).

LA Fitness provides the gym/ pool facilities. We had plannned to have a quick swim before breakfast, however as the gym did not open until 9am, and there was a charge of £5 per person, we decided to head straight for breakfast. There are some limited times available where hotel guests may use the gym etc for free (e.g. 3-5pm at weekends).

Check out was a bit fraught as the one person was answering phones and trying to check out guests at the same time, but overall reasonably quick.

In sumary, I would return to the hotel for weddings, parties and events but it is not somewhere for a relaxing or romantic weekend.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel and I was quite looking forward to it as I thought it seemed quite nice with good facilities---humm I was quite disappointed.

The room on arrival was a bit dreary but quite clean. I had a double room but found that this was just two single beds pushed together (I hate that!!!). The room could do with a little update as is looking a bit tired.

I decided to get out of the room for a little break and a cheer up in the gym / spa---humm wrong again! Hotel guests don't actually have full access to the leisure centre, it is restricted to Monday-Friday 15:00-!8:00 hrs Saturday-Sunday 15:00-17:00. Crazy! When I did go to the spa I was told that I had to wear a pool hat, which was fine-though the cost of this was £6 so if you have one bring it with you.

Decided to go down to the restaurnt for a meal-restaurant is closed Monday and Tuesday and you have to eat in the bar, which it turns out was quite good for food, luckily but to have the choice of eating in the restaurant on each night of your stay would be nice.

So to destress a litle I thought I would get a treatment in the spa--GUESS WHAT the spa only opened Thurs-Sat. The hotel were unable to book any treatments for me as they did not have the beauticians diary. They gave me the beauticians mobile number so that I could ring her myself and try to book an appointment on a day that the spa was actually open! I could not get speaking to the beatician and they did not call me back so no spa treatment either!

There is internet available in the foyer, but as you have probably guessed it is not free.

On the whole this was not a relaxing trip at all. The hotel seems to concentrate more on conferences and passing trade. As I said the food in the bar is quite good. When I eventually got to eat in the restaurant it was quite good too. The place was clean and house keeping good. If you want somewhere to just stay the night and leave then this is ok. However if you are looking for somewhere to go for a relaxing break and to spend time in the hotel then this is not for you. It is advertised as having loads of facilities readily available but it turns out that these are fairly restricted and not that user friendly.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Teamhoney_10
Armagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2010

My husband and were passining through Armagh Aug 29th, we called into the city hotel for a couple of drinks. I could not speak highly enough of the staff in the hotel. I would especially like to thank Pat (Night manager) who is, in my opinion a hidden gem in the hotel, truly worth his weight in gold. Nothing was a problem to him. So thank-you Pat for your hospitality. Every hotel should have some-one like you. Although we didn't have something to eat that night, I can highly recommend the restaurant, it is excellent, as is the bar menu and the carvery.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 18 August 2010

We stayed here as we were attending a wedding in Portadown. Armagh City Hotel was very nice, great breakfast and helpful staff. Rooms were large, quiet, and beds were very comfortable. Because this is a small town there were not many places to eat at for dinner. We ate our dinners at the hotel and they were very good, presented well, and helpful staff. They had early bird specials and we had steak for two which was cooked as desired and delicious. We had no complaints with this hotel and recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in this area of Northern Ireland.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Armagh
Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,435 reviews
Dundrum House
Dundrum House
#1 of 14 in Armagh

Been to Armagh City Hotel? Share your experiences!