“Very clean and great service”
Review of Armagh City Hotel

Armagh City Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Armagh
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Very clean everytime i have been in. Was in for tea and snack while visiting friends and family and also in for a "Carvy" dinner which was excellent! Great pub and entertainment. Bathrooms were very clean. Great food and service.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Hate to disagree with Danny, but we called in here for lunch on the twelfth of July. We thought it would be really busy at 13:25 but it was quite full of happy looking diners. Our first visit, we enquired at reception where to find food, pleasantly told to go to the bar for the carvery. We passed through a very spacious lounge which was very busy serving light lunches. On arrival at the carvery we were greeted warmly by the chef who proceeded to load our plates with two meats, and ample selection of freshly cooked veg, etc. there were three waitresses on the floor, and two behind the bar. Instead of chatting constantly with each other as is the norm in other places, they were attentive, and walked the floor constantly looking for glasses etc, and ensuring all was well with the customers. Would call again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank nixdiner
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Popped in to the City Hotel for Sunday dinner having used the hotel on many occasions. Have always had my doubts about the bar area in this place as the layout is awkward to say the least. Impossible to find cosy seats that feel a little private and bringing kids along made this tougher.

Anyway, we came in for food just after the carvery ended. First problem was the table, a talented surfer would struggle to balance on this thing, even with the 20 tatty bar mats stuck under it, it still shook under the slightest weight! Next up was the menus, this is a reputable hotel in Armagh so being handed a single laminated shabby piece of paper is just not good enough! The selection was very poor and not what you would get in a typical busy hotel (trust me, i eat out enough).

Worst of all was the service. During our visit, we made 3 drinks orders...all of which had to be requested at least twice before they arrived. The problem was not with the table staff, it was the bar staff. The bar was not busy at all, number of staff probably outweighed customers, but a football match was showing on the big screens...this seemed to be the only thing the bar staff had interest in. I counted 4 bar staff at one point standing with arms crossed behind the counter, scratching chins and glued to the footbal. It wasnt even an ulster team playing. All the while, we were sitting waiting on our drinks (the order had been placed). I ordered a pint of Heverlee and it was only on complaining to my wife that no one had went near the Heverlee bar tap in over 10 minutes (barmen too busy watching the football) that our waitress, on overhearing me, acted on it. I spent 10 years of my life working in the bar industry so have an idea of what the basic expectation for bar staff is. Sadly it is not met in this place whatsoever.

Food was just ok, I had Caesar Salad. Dressing was very salty and the side order of chips I ordered (at extra cost) wouldn't do much for you if hungry.

My final gripe about this place is the crap crap crap selection of beers on draught. Obviously the hotel have an exclusive deal done with a supplier but Tennents, Becks Vier and Heverlee just dont cut it as a quality selection of beer.

the sooner the hotel in the old jail opens the better because this place needs a run for its money!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank DannyReilly
Reviewed 3 July 2014

once again we have booked into the Armagh City Hotel to find that if anything it is better than ever. Everything from the rooms to the staff to the food is perfect. The rooms are clean, comfortable and spacious. The staff are so nice,courteous and friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them. The food is excelant, tasty, well cooked, and well served. I would recommend this hotel to every one wanting a pleasant comfortable clean hotel to stay in, with the best of people taking care of you. Sleep quality is great also,beds very comfortable/

Room Tip: all rooms very good
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret R
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We have stayed at City Hotel for several years and it is always a pleasure. The location and parking can't be beat. Great food, friendly people and convenient to family and travel. They went out of their way to arrange a delicious large family dinner party on our last trip (with little notice). Everything was perfect. It is a popular place for locals to meet and we enjoy meeting other travelers. We are splitting this year's trip between City Hotel and a cottage because of grandchildren travelling with us.

Room Tip: We prefer the large rooms with a patio. Love my morning coffee out of doors.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HoustonLily
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My husband and I called in for an evening meal. It was a Saturday at 6.30pm and we eventually found a table for two nicely tucked away in a corner. The bar area was very busy and there were lots of young children running around and being a nuisance. I normally enjoy watching children having fun but this was ridiculous. Our food arrived fairly quickly but sadly it didn't taste very good. I had chicken and I had my doubts as to what kind of coating it was cooked in, a white slime! There was a salad "garnish" of sorts which tasted of nothing, it was just a finely chopped mess. Hubbie's steak was ok, nothing special as we're the side orders. We didn't bother to have a sweet or coffee afterwards, we just had had enough.
All in all not a nice experience :-(

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Marilyn R
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I pass through Armagh once a fortnight and as the hotel is on one of the main routes through Armagh I find it a very handy place to stop. There is lots of parking with a spacious and bright reception. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the hotel seems to be always busy. There is an area at the front of the hotel where you can sit and have a snack, coffee, scones etc. Plus at lunch and in the evening the restaurant is open and a varied menu is on offer. The prices seem reasonable for the food and service that is provided. The hotel not only offers food, rooms but events which range from music, vehicles or seasonal. I have attended an antique road show which had stalls of antique ornaments jewellery etc on sale. The hotel is very large with conference rooms available for various events plus weddings. There is a fitness gym on the premises.

Room Tip: I have not stayed in the rooms so can not comment but the hotel is well situated, with disability an...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Shirlee K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Armagh
Charlemont Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Glaslough
Carrickdale Hotel
Carrickdale Hotel
#2 of 8 in Dundalk

Been to Armagh City Hotel? Share your experiences!