“Rude staff”

Ranked #5 of 14 Armagh B&B and Inns
dublin
“Rude staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2006

I recently stayed in this hotel and was shocked at how rude the staff were. In the bedroom there was the usual guest information, it said you could have a continental breakfast served to your room on request. on my way in on my first night I asked the lady at reception if I could order breakfast "we don't do room service" I told her it was written in the information - "we don't do room service" was the reply. there where other people now standing at reception and she could see I was embarrassed but made no effort to put me at ease. That night at around 3am We were woken up by the sound of a loud boiler, the noise went on for about 20 minutes, the next day I asked could I change rooms and explained the noise we had heard, we were moved to another room, there was no suprise from the staff, which lead me to believe this is a frequent complaint. In my two day stay I didn't get a smile from any one in the hotel. breakfast was cheap white toast and burnt rashers, no jam. I work in the hotel industry and stay in hotels all the time, I would not recommend this hotel to any one.

• Liked — good size rooms
  • Disliked — rude staff
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank antog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2006

We spent one night here as our friends were getting married in the nearby Cathedral. Most of the wedding party stayed at the slicker Armagh City Hotel but we preferred the charming look of the Charlemont Arms. We were delighted with the hotel. The staff were helpful and friendly, breakfast was exactly what we had hoped for from a b&b and the pub was cosy and cheerful.

• Liked — Charming decor and ctyle
  • Disliked — elevator wasnot working
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
6 Thank AKAG3
Loughton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2006

This is a town centre hotel situated on a busy main road, forming part of an inner ring for the city of Armagh. The rooms are single-glazed and hence can be noisy. There are bars and function rooms which do not make for quiet! It is on the edge of a rather seedy district, but handy for all Armagh's places of interest.
The rooms are fine, some with good aspects and are well appointed. Breakfast reasonable, but the dinner in an establishment "renowned for fine food and wine" [blurb] was not particularly good. And mealtimes end at strange times! They do not offer half-board terms so suggest you keep to B&B.
We saw little evidence of the warm welcome mentioned in other reviews.
Car park approached behind the bus station - not at all intuitive, nor well signed.

• Liked — Good room
  • Disliked — Noisy and beds hard
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank Loughtonian1
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2005

Two nights at the Charlemont Arms in August was probably enough. The rooms were very comfortable, the bathrooms great. We were a little taken aback at not finding a hairdryer in the room.

Foodwise, the breakfast was ok although being served with heated rye bread when "wholemeal" was asked for left us bewildered! On the recommendation of staff, we ate in the hotel on the first night and found the food to be really heavy and overcooked - especially the vegetables. The French restaurant on the mall (Manor Park) on the second night was a revelelation! I'd avoid eating at the Charlemont, but for B&B, it's fine.

• Stayed August 2005, travelled on business
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2004

This hotel had really lovely rooms. The bathrooms were amazing in our two twin rooms! And the bed was the most comfortable I've had at a hotel EVER! We also had a very tasty meal in the hotel's restaurant. (Normally we wouldn't chose to eat in the hotel restaurant just on principle to get out & about, but it is the ONLY restaurant open in Armagh on a Monday evening.) It was only our party & one other family in the dining room. They let us stay there chatting away 'til quite late & said that we should take our time, someone would lock up/clean up after we'd gone. Very accomodating! The only drawback was the phone call that one individual in our party made from the room - the pay phone in the lobby was out of order so he had no choice. The call was a 2 minute phone call to the Republic of Ireland - he was charged £14 for the call. That was absurd, even by hotel overcharging standards for phone calls. So, I would suggest NOT using the phones at all. But besides that bitter sting all was pleasant.

13 Thank dandjaway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2003

Lovely intimate hotel, staff were tremendous. Rooms were excellent with very comfortable bed and beautiful linens. Breakfast comes with the stay, it was also very very good. They have an elevator which was important for one of my travel mates and the staff took extra interest in insuring he enjoyed himself. We also really enjoyed the pub, staff very friendly. Can't say enough about this quaint little place which we would have to say was the best place we stayed at in Ireland this trip.
We'll be back for sure. Excellent value.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2003

I recently went there for my honeymoon and got first class treatment from all the staff and was fortunate enough to meet some of the Forster family themselves. I met Helen and she was ready, willing and happy to help us with all of our needs. The food was spectacular and the hotel provided a comfortable spot for our two week getaway. Thanks to all the staff and I would HIGHLY recommend the hotel to all visitors. My wife and I are now having our first child and are contemplating calling her Helen!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Armagh
Armagh City Hotel
Dundrum House
Dundrum House
#1 of 14 in Armagh
Fairylands Country House

Been to Charlemont Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!