Swan Lodge Country House
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Downpatrick
See available hotels
Donard Hotel(Newcastle)
Grasmere(Newcastle)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We stayed here in June 2013 after our grandaughters wedding and a two week tour of Northern Ireland. The first nights experience was enough for us to decide to stay three more nights. We agree entirely with the good reports of swan lodge and John and Liz. Everything and I mean everything you may need is provided in the bedrooms and it was not rocket science finding the "Nania" bathroom it was quirky and with a beautiful coloured window. Breakfast great choice of cereals fruit etc and fantastic choice of hot second course and to top it gorgeous breads jams. What a start to the day!! They even wrapped some for us to take for lunch. The curtains actually kept out the light which was a bonus for me so many places we have been they dont fit and you wake at dawn!! I personally have travelled extensively and including hotels my stay with John and Liz is in my top 3. On our first night there were two other couples staying.One couple went early but we did not hear them even though we were at the front. The other couple were Australian and we all had a good chat but Liz and John did not intrude on us. Other mornings when we were alone they were very friendly. Liz took me round her garden and told me to dig up a plant that I liked as she had a spare. I did B&B in my home in kent for 8 years and really feel that I know a good B&B when I find it! In many the people are nice but not all the boxes are ticked.For me every box was ticked at Swan Lodge and I hope that many more people will enjoy the hospitality of these two lovely people. Just one more thing they supply real value for money Liz said she chose to charge less because of the location.Yes it was off the main road but it was stunning and quiet the real Ireland.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sandybart
Reviewed 4 July 2013

This is a very pleasant B&B, clean, comfortable, located in the middle of nowhere in beautiful surroundings. A nearby pub (very quirky!) could provide dinner, which was delicious. Breakfast was delicious with home-made bread and jams, and extensive choice of menu. We had a delightful stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

Very hospitable couple, absolutely delicious breakfast, best I've had. Homemade bread, freshly squeezed orange juice, lovely omelette, all ready for us at 7.30! Very convenient to castleward, where we were running a race.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 29 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with 2 colleagues while on business in downpatrick, we only stayed for one night as our.original hotel was booked that night. It's literally in the middle of nowhere which is good for some but not for 3 people who.have just finished a 14 hour shift. House looks lovely in very nice gardens.
Arrived to a older gent greeting us who asked us what we wanted for breakfast as soon as we walked in the door??? Selection was very good for breakfast but I felt rushed. Was shown to my room and that was it, felt very uncomfortable as I wasn't told where the code was for locking the door, I felt like I was invading someone's home, a colleague had to find the owners to ask where his bathroom was ( hidden in the wardrobe, like Narnia).
About 12pm we all separately hear the owners come and listen at our doors, felt like a child and turned my already very quiet tv off.
Breakfast the next morning again felt uncomfortable, we were given our breakfast and just left alone. Our taxi arrived and we couldn't locate the owners, as we were getting in the taxi they came out and said we had to sign the comment book before we left.
This b and b is very clean and well looked after but maybe it's for a different clientele.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank p_land_sherrif
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Stayed 5 nights in late August and had a wonderful experience. John and Liz were very accommodating and helpful hosts with recommendations for restaurants and sightseeing in the Downpatrick area. These restaurants were very good. Liz's breakfasts were some of the best we had in Ireland including Liz cooking delicious gluten free bread for breakfast. Our queen bed was extremely comfortable - no problems with the shower there was hot water day and night. This place also had the best wifi connectivity of any B&B we stayed at during our 6 week holiday in Ireland. As golfers we were looking for the best golf courses and John was very helpful with his suggestions for driving to Royal County Down and some of the smaller local courses. Yes it is a little out of town but for those with a car the B&B is an easy drive to Newcastle, Ardglass, Strangford and Belfast. We had a great Northern Ireland experience and really enjoyed our evening conversations with Liz & John on life in NI.

Room Tip: All the rooms here are very quiet with rural views.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple