Swan Lodge Country House
Donard Hotel(Newcastle)
US$146
US$133
US$114
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 April 2014

My wife and I arrived at the Lodge on a Friday evening as we were competing in a Half Marathon on the Saturday morning at the nearby Castle Ward Estate. Liz the owner showed us to our room which was perfect for our needs, quiet and an amazingly comfortable bed. A keen sports fan Liz informed me about the latest scores in the Ulster match and invited me to the living area to watch a bit of the match itself. In the morning after a great nights rest we had breakfast in the Conservatory, overlooking the lough, served by John & Liz. Our porridge, which contained a wee measure of Jameson's Irish Whiskey, and a dash of cream, was the best we've ever tasted and helped us both to strong runs at our event that morning. This is a great base from which to explore the County Down area, nestling in the hills between Downpatrick & Strangford. Sports enthusiasts can forget about needing wi-fi as Liz will be able to fill you in with all. Jeff Stelling at Sky Sports News has a rival in County Down.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Our group of friends stayed two nights at Swan Lodge. We found our accommodations to be comfortable, attractive and sparkling clean. John and Liz love to cook and it shows in their delicious offerings for breakfast. It was a good base for touring Belfast, providing a quiet, restful place to be at the end of the day. It's one of the best B&Bs.

Room Tip: All rooms about the same for size, amenities, views
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We are two couples staying in the area to visit relatives and historic sites. Staying in one place makes sense so we opted for Swan Lodge. We remained there for 4 nights. If we want to enjoy Irish cuisine, this is the place. The rooms are comfortable and clean with all the amenities. Liz and John were perfect hosts. I must say, we were spoiled and enjoyed their company. We sure do miss those amazing breakfasts. You will have many choices and if that doesn"t suit, you can make up your own. Don"t forget to try the porridge and of course wheaten bread and soda bread.

Room Tip: They are all just fine
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We stayed here in June 2013 after our grandaughters wedding and a two week tour of Northern Ireland. The first nights experience was enough for us to decide to stay three more nights. We agree entirely with the good reports of swan lodge and John and Liz. Everything and I mean everything you may need is provided in the bedrooms and it was not rocket science finding the "Nania" bathroom it was quirky and with a beautiful coloured window. Breakfast great choice of cereals fruit etc and fantastic choice of hot second course and to top it gorgeous breads jams. What a start to the day!! They even wrapped some for us to take for lunch. The curtains actually kept out the light which was a bonus for me so many places we have been they dont fit and you wake at dawn!! I personally have travelled extensively and including hotels my stay with John and Liz is in my top 3. On our first night there were two other couples staying.One couple went early but we did not hear them even though we were at the front. The other couple were Australian and we all had a good chat but Liz and John did not intrude on us. Other mornings when we were alone they were very friendly. Liz took me round her garden and told me to dig up a plant that I liked as she had a spare. I did B&B in my home in kent for 8 years and really feel that I know a good B&B when I find it! In many the people are nice but not all the boxes are ticked.For me every box was ticked at Swan Lodge and I hope that many more people will enjoy the hospitality of these two lovely people. Just one more thing they supply real value for money Liz said she chose to charge less because of the location.Yes it was off the main road but it was stunning and quiet the real Ireland.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sandybart
Reviewed 4 July 2013

This is a very pleasant B&B, clean, comfortable, located in the middle of nowhere in beautiful surroundings. A nearby pub (very quirky!) could provide dinner, which was delicious. Breakfast was delicious with home-made bread and jams, and extensive choice of menu. We had a delightful stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple