Ballymote Country House
Donard Hotel(Newcastle)
US$146
US$133
US$114
All reviewscountry housetea and biscuitshomely atmosphereshower attachmentheavy curtainsgiant bathroom cosysash windowsselection of cerealsyogurtnorthern irelandb bsnicoladogsantiqueshostschances
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I stayed at the Ballymote for a weekend break. The room was clean and well laid out. However, the house is part of a farm and the night was over once the cockrel woke up. Also be aware there are two dogs living in the house. One was licking my hand at the breakfast table which I find unacceptable. The owners are friendly and very sociable. Overall I left there thinking for this sort of money I could have done better.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank shlomo97
Panzapony, Owner at Ballymote Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2013

I'm so sorry you didn't appreciate the dogs and hens during your stay, but glad you enjoyed our company and the house.

We do try and persuade guests not to feed Damm and Dash under the table however they have learnt that many guests are extremely soft touches, and they do live in hope! If people do not like dogs I will of course lock them up.

Unfortunately we have no control over the cockerel's timeclock! This was rather mucked up with the change to Winter daylight saving times, but I am glad to say he now seems to have settled back into starting his day at a more civilised hour!

Reviewed 25 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here on our first night in Ireland. What an amazing experience it was! Nicola & James are fantastic hosts and we didn't want for a thing. From the welcome tea and biscuits to our introduction to Irish breakfasts, everything was perfect. We can't say enough wonderful things about Ballymote. It gets our highest recommendation!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights and it was really wonderful. Great welcome, interesting house, lovely family and most marvellous breakfast. James booked a table for me at a nearby fish restaurant and provided a map for me to get there, which I thoroughly enjoyed. They have thought of everything for one's comfort. Most of all though I enjoyed the interesting conversation and the wonderful welcome when I returned every evening!
RH

Room Tip: Just let Nicola decide for you - she knows what's best!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 August 2012

After a long journey I reached Ballymote House and was pleasently surprised by this beautiful house and most warmly welcomed on my arrival. I stayed at Ballymote for a few nights as I was doing a course. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. Nicola and James are a lovely couple and were more than helpful to me. The accommodation is charming and I have to say the food was fantastic!
I would love to return and stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We changed plans at the last minute & were lucky to find Ballymote House just outside Downpatrick.James & Nicola made us feel part of the family for the 2 nights we were there. They helped with restaurants nearby & golf at Ardglass which is really worth doing if you're into golf. Also recommended a black taxi tour of nearby Belfast which we found quite enlightening.Thanks for showing us Northern Ireland hospitality.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family