“Excellent country retreat”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Downpatrick
Ballymote Country House
Ranked #3 of 10 Downpatrick B&B and Inns
Hook, United Kingdom
“Excellent country retreat”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

A charming country house which is home to Nicola and James and family. So very friendly and especially charming to be able to meet their animals including newly hatched chicks. Nicola's breakfasts are to die for - home produced food served to your own requirements. So much choice!
James provides excellent advice on where to visit.
You won't find a better country house experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Panzapony, Owner at Ballymote Country House, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay! The chicks are growing very fast getting ready to lay lots more blue eggs (Arucuna) for the guests to enjoy at breakfast.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Calling Ballymote House a 'farm,' as was done by a previous reviewer, is like calling a Westin Hotel a B&B. The owners of Ballymote House believe in a lifestyle that revives the traditions of the past. Nicola was raised in the area at a country house which was self-sustaining. She keeps a garden with fruit trees, from which she produces amazing jams (cherry-chocolate), and chickens to supply fresh eggs for breafast. James manages their woodlands, with the help of his son and a draft horse, for use by pheasant hunters. Staying at Ballymote House makes you feel like the clock has been turned back, which does not mean any modern amenity is missing. We had tea in the drawing room when we arrived, the bedroom was clean and comfortably heated, and breakfast was beautifully served in a pleasant dining room. Both James and Nicola can provide a wealth of information about the area, Irish history and customs, and almost anything else you want to know. Staying at Ballymote House was a great experience.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Panzapony, Owner at Ballymote Country House, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Wow, what a lovely review! Aren't we lucky to have this lifestyle, and we love sharing it with our guests, especially when they "get" it!
Yellowknife
Reviewed 12 November 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Ballymote for a weekend break. The room was clean and well laid out. However, the house is part of a farm and the night was over once the cockrel woke up. Also be aware there are two dogs living in the house. One was licking my hand at the breakfast table which I find unacceptable. The owners are friendly and very sociable. Overall I left there thinking for this sort of money I could have done better.

Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank shlomo97
Panzapony, Owner at Ballymote Country House, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
I'm so sorry you didn't appreciate the dogs and hens during your stay, but glad you enjoyed our company and the house.

We do try and persuade guests not to feed Damm and Dash under the table however they have learnt that many guests are extremely soft touches, and they do live in hope! If people do not like dogs I will of course lock them up.

Unfortunately we have no control over the cockerel's timeclock! This was rather mucked up with the change to Winter daylight saving times, but I am glad to say he now seems to have settled back into starting his day at a more civilised hour!
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here on our first night in Ireland. What an amazing experience it was! Nicola & James are fantastic hosts and we didn't want for a thing. From the welcome tea and biscuits to our introduction to Irish breakfasts, everything was perfect. We can't say enough wonderful things about Ballymote. It gets our highest recommendation!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights and it was really wonderful. Great welcome, interesting house, lovely family and most marvellous breakfast. James booked a table for me at a nearby fish restaurant and provided a map for me to get there, which I thoroughly enjoyed. They have thought of everything for one's comfort. Most of all though I enjoyed the interesting conversation and the wonderful welcome when I returned every evening!
RH

Room Tip: Just let Nicola decide for you - she knows what's best!