“Fabulous little eatery!!!”

Ranked #11 of 50 Restaurants in Downpatrick
Price range: US$6 - US$11
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are an award winning café, deli & patisserie and have been open in Down Business Park on the Belfast Rd near Downpatrick since 2010. Our food is off a very high standard and we use only the freshest local ingredients all with a French twist! We offer tasty breakfasts, brunch, lunchtime specials, deli counter, sandwiches, soups, casseroles, handmade French desserts, scones, breads, chutneys, speciality teas & coffees& birthday/occassion cakes. We have monthly bistro nights (byo. Our restaurant is also available to hire for special occassions.
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Discovered this place quite by accident as it is tucked away in a business park on the main Downpatrick / Belfast road. This however does have its advantages as there is ample parking outside plus it's free, making it a perfect place for a rendezvous with friends!!

I have been several times for lunch and also to two of the gourmet evenings and on each occasion have been very pleased with the food, service and value for money. The deli counter is filled daily with a fabulous selection, my favourite being the chicken and mushroom crepes and the Thai fish cakes.... simply divine!! On our last gourmet evening 8 of us dined together and all raved about our food. On that evening I had seafood risotto which I have to say was the nicest I've ever tasted.

The deserts are fab too and the owner / chef being French certainly excels himself. I was at a 50th birthday party at the weekend and sampled a piece of fresh fruit birthday cake made by Mange Tout and it was to die for!!!!

If you like good food at a reasonable price Mange Tout really is worth a visit!

2  Thank Detticapop

Reviewed 20 August 2012

I have eaten here twice, once for lunch and once on a "gourmet night". The location - an industrial estate just outside Downpatrick - isn't ideal, but it had been recommended so we gave it a go.

At lunch there is a deli counter with a good assortment of food. We both enjoyed the food, although it really is cafe food and nothing more. Perhaps a little overpriced, but the service was friendly and we had no complaints.

We returned with friends for one of the monthly gourmet nights. It seems to be a real locals' favourite as all the guests seemed to know each other. This created a nice, if loud, atmosphere, but it did make it a little hard to attract the waitresses' attention, as they spent so long talking to the other diners. The food was ok, but not worth what we paid (from memory, £25 for 3 courses). The chef's wife, who is front of house, was singing his praises and telling us that he had trained in Paris as a pastry chef, and so we were expecting big things of dessert. Unfortunately the pastry at the bottom of the tart was soggy, and the other desserts were underwhelming after the build-up. Frank himself, the chef, came out during our meal, he told us about all the famous people he has cooked for. Unfortunately this didn't make the food any better.

The worst part of the evening came a couple of hours later, when we got home. Everyone who had eaten the lamb main course was ill that night.

I'd call in at lunch time again if I was passing, as there aren't many places in the Downpatrick area doing take-away food that isn't chips/garage sandwiches, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there, and I certainly wouldn't recommend spending your money on the gourmet night.

4  Thank BelleOfBelfastCity
Franck B, Owner at Mangetout Deli, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Thank you for your review on Trip advisor. I would like to respond to a few matters raised.

Firstly we always try our very best to please all of our customers & have received awards in recognition of that, one of which was best cafe in NI 2012.

You say our location in an industrial park is not ideal. This doesn't seem to bother the hard working people of Downpatrick and the surrounding area who come in their droves to support us everyday.

You have said our deli counter has a good assortment of food. I beg to differ our deli counter has an amazing assortment of food ! Where else has a deli counter where you can get freshly made food such as crepes stuffed with locally caught seafood in a white wine sauce, pigeon pate, home made brioche topped with quails eggs & Parma ham as well as stuffed aubergines, peppers or butternut squash....the list goes on & all for around £5 to sit in!  To me that is fantastic value for money!

Also you are 100% correct in saying our gourmet night are filled with locals all enjoying themselves. A lot of our customers are well known to our staff as they are indeed regulars both during the day & at our gourmet nights. Forgive us for spending time looking after them but that's what we do & that's why they're more than happy to come back again & again.

Can I also clarify we charge £25 for 4 courses not 3 at our gourmet nights but this also covers you to BYO alcohol & we don't charge any corkage for this. The price also includes a selection of homemade breads & tapenades on arrival.

Our food at these evenings is of the highest quality and meat/fish is bought in from local suppliers at top prices.

You have not specified the date of your visit but we have not been advised of any problems at any stage with Lamb at any of our monthly Gourmet evenings.

If, as you say there was a problem with the lamb, we would appreciate details of the date of your visit so as we may contact the other diners who also had this dish.. You should know that we operate a pre ordering system & once we have the date this is easy to trace.We can also follow up with our supplier. You can email us this info to mangetoutdeli@yahoo.co.uk

I'm also delighted to hear that after 20 years of marriage my wife is still singing my praises while I'm slaving away in the kitchen. Just to correct you on another point she also knows that I actually did all my training in Nantes not Paris.

It's particularly disappointing for me that you could not have expressed your views on the night in question as you have already said I come out of the kitchen after service to speak to all of my customers and to thank them for dining with us. I don't claim to be perfect but work tirelessly and give my best to my business. I enjoy cooking for my customers at my gourmet nights & the whole reason for chatting to them after their meal is to hear what they genuinely liked/disliked about their experience with us. It would have been kinder to have been honest on the night.

But even after all that I'm amazed to hear that you would still call on the way past for lunch.....I really have to question your motives for this contradictory & inaccurate review.

Reviewed 11 August 2012

Food was amazing, vegetarian options and a wide range to cater for different tastes. Christmas coffees available in winter. Prices are suitable for quality of food- 2 excellent lunches complete with side salad and deli salad plus drinks for about £20.

2  Thank S B
Franck B, Owner at Mangetout Deli, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Hi SB, thank you very much for taking the time to give us such a favourable review.
We really appreciate the positive comments and are delighted you enjoyed your visit.
Our menu changes daily so keep checking in with us for lots of lovely tasty treats.

Kindest regards,
Franck Brétéché

Reviewed 16 July 2012

The food was well presented, but there is a limited amount of dining space and the tables are all squashed together. THIS PLACE HAS NO TOILET FACILITIES.

5  Thank michael h
Franck B, Owner at Mangetout Deli, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

I have contacted you directly to advise you that we have a private toilet that is used by our customers only. On that basis you agreed to amend your review. We are very disappointed to note that you have not yet taken the time to do this. As I have said WE HAVE TOILET FACILITIES & ARE OBLIGED TO HAVE BY LAW. Your review is therefore inaccurate.

Reviewed 15 July 2012

Franc, as usual, produced delicious meals for us all on one of his gourmet evenings. Just the correct amount of food. The gourmet nights are great but food during the day is also terrific. Would really recommend this place.

3  Thank Sandra P

Hi Sandra, We are so pleased that you have taken the time to give us such a glowing review.
Our gourmet nights have really taken off and the reviews we've been on Facebook also have been great. We have introduced fab new breakfast and afternoon tea menus to go alongside our already popular lunch menu.
I look forward to welcoming you to our cafe/deli again in the very near future.

Kind regards,