“Poor food quality ”

The Emperor
Ranked #31 of 55 Restaurants in Downpatrick
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

I got a take away from in here tonight and it will definitely be the last! My partner and I got a salted chilli chicken deal which was a portion of salted chilli chicken with chip/rice and sauce. Salted chilli chicken is my favourite meal from the chinese but this was a total let down. Firstly I asked over the phone if I could get half gravy half curry over my chips and this wasn’t allowed which I don’t think is fair as it is the same amount of sauce for what u are paying. The salted chilli chicken was pathetic and small, there was no chilli only these white lumps of ‘chicken’ with this random slice of tomato cucumber and lettuce. No spices or onions? And it tasted like garlic not spicy at all. The curry chips were ok but more rice than chips and wasn’t very warm. Also got a portion of chicken balls and they were small and just OK. The salted chilli chicken deal with a can of soft drink was £7.80 and honestly wasn’t worth any more than 4.50-5.00. And the can of soft drink was warm. The girl of the phone was quite abrupt. You have a some competition in Downpatrick with chinese food but this isn’t even in the top 4. Don’t recommend

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Booked for a group of 10 on a Saturday evening at 6:30. At 8pm we had not even seen a starter. We complained on several occasions as we could see the take out orders being prioritized. Service was just generally pretty terrible and our complaints were largely ignored. Food was OK when it finally arrived but not worth the (very long) wait. Give it a miss.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Thought long and hard about this..but it has to be said.. Went here for a meal last Sunday evening with a friend and ordered off the set menu meal for two.. The starter of chilli chicken was nice and my main of chicken chow main was just OK, however my friends curried pork fillet was pure awful.. The curry is obviously made from a paste that was that hot it actually burned your mouth when eatting it and the oil was sitting think around it... So there for not ate.. Not one member of staff came to check if everything was OK, we had to call staff on several occasions (for different things) for dessert menus.. On saying about the main the young waitress said she would speak to the chef, another 15mins after this when we again had to call staff for the bill she told us that it was due to the different spices... And was still on the bill.. We then asked to speak to the manger who came and told us that they had then changed the curry () and that she couldn't take it off the bill as it was a set price... (joke) and the best she could do was to take a drink of... We only had (2each) to then turn and say she couldn't take it off as the chefs check the money at the end of night and if their till is down it comes out of the tips.......
.....Which by the way is ILLEGAL... TO then say she can take only £5 off now if you can't take food off how dose this work... !!! So we ended up paying -£5 and then on the way out she actually called me back for the £5 before realizing what she'd done... Will never ever be back in here again...

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 1 November 2017

I really like this restaurant.
The staff are so helpful and friendly'
The food is lovely, good helpings and very tasty.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 8 September 2017

Probably the best Chinese restaurant in Downpatrick which we use most Fridays for dinner. Often a takeaway but sitting in is also a good option. Staff great and food always nice and fresh.

Date of visit: September 2017