“Delightful stay, would go there again!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oakleigh House

Oakleigh House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newcastle
Oakleigh House
Ranked #10 of 19 Newcastle B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Delightful stay, would go there again!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

Nice small family run B&B providing. I recently stayed there for 3 nights and required an early check in time, which was granted with no problems at all. The room, although small, was clean, tidy and provided everything you need. A comfy double bed with linen changed 2 twice during my stay, and towels replenished everyday in the ensuite.

The B&B is situated a short walk (20mins) from newcastle beach front, which is easily do able, although newcastle has a flat rate taxi service of £3 to anywhere in town, which is handy.

Although I didnt have a car, there is ample parking space for a vehicle for each room.

Breakfast is tasty, with a friendly and hospitable host to serve. Theres a hot and cold breakfast menu but if you fancy something different your needs are catered for, mine were on two occasions.

I would definatley visit newcastle again, and would use this hotel!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jamald

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

I'm sorry my visit was so short here, but am checking my diary to return. My wife and I arrived here on Saturday night, and were welcomed by Jan and her little dog. We were shown to our room (2) which was bright clean and airy with a view over the lovely garden. After a quick wash we went for a drive. We arrived back later, tired and ready for bed. We availed of the hot chocolate/biscuits thoughtfully left for us in the hospitality tray in the hallway. Breakfast the next morning was sensational. Having had cereal and the offer of two eggs, nothing could have prepared me for the plateful of flavour which arrived. When I looked around there were mountains behind and to the side of me. Now here was a mountain of food in front of me. I didn't know whether to climb it or eat it! I didnt want to go home, bit I WILL return.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

Oakleigh House is located right on the edge of the charming town of Newcastle. The view out the back is of a large field with the magnificent Mourne Mountains beyond. So we had the quiet country atmosphere with the convenience of also being a few minutes drive to the center of town. We had an ensuite double room. It was adequately sized and very clean. The bed was comfortable and provided a good nights sleep. We stayed there for three nights to explore the Mourne Mountains area. We took a few short hikes in the area. The best one was in Tollymore Forest Park and it is just a few kilometers from Oakleigh House and should not be missed.
Of all the great things about this B&B, the very best is the Hostess, Jan Joyce. She is a shear delight, always helpful and ready to go out of her way for you. On the day before we left we were having a great time joking around with her and one of the other guests. My wife teasingly mentioned my addiction to blueberries and how I was picking and eating them as we hiked at Tollymore. Well, the next morning Jan brought me some blueberries to eat with my already huge Irish breakfast. Learning of my taste for them she had specially gone to the store and bought them for me. This is just an example of the warm treatment we received while staying there.
Staying at this B&B and exploring this area became one of the top experiences of our trip to Ireland and Northern Ireland. I would highly recommend this place to anyone. But you might want to make reservations, I know that at least one night Jan was having to turn people away. Some of the guests staying there were return customers. I know I would stay there again if I were in the area.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

A group of us were staying here as part of the Focus Ireland Four Peaks Challenge. We arrived at about 10pm after driving up from Mayo and climbing 2 mountains so all we wanted was a bit of TLC. What a delight and relief we all felt when we walked into Jan's B&B. She is a wonderful host and her rooms are so comfortable and luxurious. When we requested an early breakfast Jan had no problem with this. And what a breakfast, it was absolutely gorgeous. Also there was a wonderful selection of teas, coffees and snacks which you could help yourself to. This is a gem of a B&B, you wont find better place to stay in Newcastle.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Bideford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

Wonderful stay in lovely location. The Mourne Mountains are seen across fields to the back and across the quiet lane the B&B is on, is a field with animals in it. It made a good base from which to explore the area. Breakfasts were good, though I couldn't finish the full cooked breakfast - there was so much of it. LOL

The TV worked fine for me. If anything, it was perhaps a little high on the wall, sometimes giving a solarisation effect on the screen for a viewer sitting of lying down.

On the day I was due to leave, I felt unwell and unable to drive just then. Jan very kindly let me stay on another hour or so until I felt better.

All in all, good value for money. I'd recommend Oakleigh House to anyone who enjoys a clean and friendly place to stay in, with all one needs for comfort, and in a beautiful setting.

• Stayed September 2010
Londonderry
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

We went to Newcastle on a weekend break, to rekindle the nostalgia where I spent a few holidays when I was a child. The town has changed dramatically within the last ten years but it still has the odd grotty little buildings on the seafront. Newcastle would have been one of northern irelands traditional holiday destinations but old habits die hard and it still has all the charm of amusement arcades, ice-cream parlours, chip shops etc

We tracked down the Oakleigh without much problem. I feared that it was not in the centre of the town and we may have difficulty finding it. We found it with ease and the directions on their website helped tremendously. It is not within walking distance of the town though.

It is a very basic B&B and the host was very accommodating and we were able to order breakfast about 9:30am. The B&B site facilitated car-parking and it is in a very pleasant part of rural Newcastle. But nice and all as the hostess was, there were problems with the room. Firstly, it was a little on the small side.

There were no tea and coffee making facilities in each room, so you had to help yourself to facilities laid out in the hall. The TV in the room had a mind of its own. I spent a long time trying to get a picture from it. At a push, we managed to get just one channel with awful reception. We did not complain however, as it would have meant changing rooms etc, so we called it quits. As Newcastle becomes a ghost town after 9pm you may find yourselves perhaps spending more time in the room, so these facilities were important. But there was always wifi ? A very erratic system unfortunately and not quite dependable. So I would not have liked to have banked on using it for that all-important email ! Mobile phone reception in the area was poor.
The rest of the facilities were quite good; nice selection of chocolate drinks, biscuits too. A nice touch but we would have preferred to have had these in our room ; then perhaps, we would not have woken some of the other guests, from the noise of a boiling kettle in the hallway !!
The shower worked well and a selection of toiletries were also provided. Whilst we found the Ashleigh was clean and served a good breakfast, we were annoyed that the services it claimed to provide - wifi, TV, hospitality trays - very disappointing.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2010

It had been years since we'd stayed in a B & B, tending to lean more toward staying in hotels over the past few years. However, on a return visit to Northern Ireland, we thought we would get back in touch with that lovely, homey feeling that a great B & B can provide - which is what brought us to Jan and Oakleigh House. This is everything a good B & B should be. Jan and her daughter are lovely, friendly hosts and make sure you have everything you need and feel welcome, without crowding you. The room we stayed in was spotlessly clean, tastefully furnished, quiet and very comfortable. The guest quarters have their own access, so we could come and go as we pleased. We had a very early drive back to Dublin on the morning we left, but Jan still offered to cook us a hot breakfast. In the end we persuaded her that a full hot breakfast wasn't necessary, but she still left us with the makings of a wonderful cold breakfast anyway, so that we wouldn't start the day hungry. The only downside is that it's not very practical to walk into Newcastle or Dundrum at night for dinner, should you want to enjoy a pint or two and not want to drive home. But Jan happily organised a taxi for us, so it was no problem. All in all, I highly recommend a visit to Oakleigh House, it's a truly lovely place to stay.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple