“First Class!”
Review of Oakleigh House

Oakleigh House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newcastle
Oakleigh House
Ranked #6 of 18 Newcastle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 September 2011

My wife and I and our daughter and son-in-law stayed here last year and liked it so much we didn't bother to look anywhere else when we visited this year. The accommodation is spotless, the breakfast superb and the host - Jan - is delightful. Unusually the tea making facilities are in the corridor, but this means that Jan can keep the supplies topped up and fresh. A jug of milk, not those silly plastic pots. A very wide selection of teas and coffee/chocolate and numerous biscuit bars and fruit. Breakfast in the conservatory is a delight with the view of the mountains. Ample parking. Very quiet. I can't think of anything that could improve our stay. We will certainly be returning.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Edrear

Reviewed 30 August 2011

This is a lovely secluded B&B close to the Mournes & Newcastle. Really friendly and accommodation very comfortable. The annex is self-contained and therefore private.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I was absolutly charmed by this b&b set in the most beautiful surrondings, the family so genually interested in us and helping us with our visit. never been offered such a variety of scumbshous breakfast choices. I had Jans poached eggs and muffins , it was a delight.
Thank you to Pam for her built in sat nav knowlegde.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank michelle b
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Nice small family run B&B providing. I recently stayed there for 3 nights and required an early check in time, which was granted with no problems at all. The room, although small, was clean, tidy and provided everything you need. A comfy double bed with linen changed 2 twice during my stay, and towels replenished everyday in the ensuite.

The B&B is situated a short walk (20mins) from newcastle beach front, which is easily do able, although newcastle has a flat rate taxi service of £3 to anywhere in town, which is handy.

Although I didnt have a car, there is ample parking space for a vehicle for each room.

Breakfast is tasty, with a friendly and hospitable host to serve. Theres a hot and cold breakfast menu but if you fancy something different your needs are catered for, mine were on two occasions.

I would definatley visit newcastle again, and would use this hotel!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jamald
Reviewed 4 July 2011

I'm sorry my visit was so short here, but am checking my diary to return. My wife and I arrived here on Saturday night, and were welcomed by Jan and her little dog. We were shown to our room (2) which was bright clean and airy with a view over the lovely garden. After a quick wash we went for a drive. We arrived back later, tired and ready for bed. We availed of the hot chocolate/biscuits thoughtfully left for us in the hospitality tray in the hallway. Breakfast the next morning was sensational. Having had cereal and the offer of two eggs, nothing could have prepared me for the plateful of flavour which arrived. When I looked around there were mountains behind and to the side of me. Now here was a mountain of food in front of me. I didn't know whether to climb it or eat it! I didnt want to go home, bit I WILL return.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Oakleigh House is located right on the edge of the charming town of Newcastle. The view out the back is of a large field with the magnificent Mourne Mountains beyond. So we had the quiet country atmosphere with the convenience of also being a few minutes drive to the center of town. We had an ensuite double room. It was adequately sized and very clean. The bed was comfortable and provided a good nights sleep. We stayed there for three nights to explore the Mourne Mountains area. We took a few short hikes in the area. The best one was in Tollymore Forest Park and it is just a few kilometers from Oakleigh House and should not be missed.
Of all the great things about this B&B, the very best is the Hostess, Jan Joyce. She is a shear delight, always helpful and ready to go out of her way for you. On the day before we left we were having a great time joking around with her and one of the other guests. My wife teasingly mentioned my addiction to blueberries and how I was picking and eating them as we hiked at Tollymore. Well, the next morning Jan brought me some blueberries to eat with my already huge Irish breakfast. Learning of my taste for them she had specially gone to the store and bought them for me. This is just an example of the warm treatment we received while staying there.
Staying at this B&B and exploring this area became one of the top experiences of our trip to Ireland and Northern Ireland. I would highly recommend this place to anyone. But you might want to make reservations, I know that at least one night Jan was having to turn people away. Some of the guests staying there were return customers. I know I would stay there again if I were in the area.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2011

A group of us were staying here as part of the Focus Ireland Four Peaks Challenge. We arrived at about 10pm after driving up from Mayo and climbing 2 mountains so all we wanted was a bit of TLC. What a delight and relief we all felt when we walked into Jan's B&B. She is a wonderful host and her rooms are so comfortable and luxurious. When we requested an early breakfast Jan had no problem with this. And what a breakfast, it was absolutely gorgeous. Also there was a wonderful selection of teas, coffees and snacks which you could help yourself to. This is a gem of a B&B, you wont find better place to stay in Newcastle.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends