“Favorite Hotel in Ireland.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Slieve Donard Resort and Spa

Slieve Donard Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Co.Down, N.Ireland
“Favorite Hotel in Ireland.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

Just as the Title of this Review states. You could if you wish leave now and I could sum up the hotel in 3 words. Excellent, Sublime and Exquisite all into one.

This is as an honest review. I tell the truth when it comes to reviews so don't be put off at how biased this is going to be.

I booked a one night stay with my Partner in the Hotel way back in December through Travel Zoo. I Nearly actually forgot about the trip up until a couple of weeks ago. The reason we were staying was a surprise for my Partner. Spontaneously I decided to start contacting the Hotel via Twitter to see if I could organize any special treatments .Let me just say, Debbie Burns is one hell of a woman. This woman who takes control of the Slieve Donard Twitter account is truly a gem to the Hastings Group, no request was to small for her and the team. I requested Birthday Banners and Balloons to be in the Bedroom for our arrival,I did not expect much of a reply but of course Debbie was able to speak to the House Keeping Team and ensure that when I sent them they would be in place. We also got upgraded to a Resort Room for our stay which can I just say could not fault at all. Luxury to say the least, It had everything we needed included Robes, slippers, Full size double Shower and Bath. You could've lived in this Room for a week easy. On the day of our arrival I also had my Partners Presents sent down to the Hotel which Debbie managed to have arranged appropriately in our room.

We had only been in the room 10 minutes which might I add was made available early for us despite the 3pm Check In, when we received a knock on the door and were handed a Plate of Fudge and Small Buns and Complimentary "Happy Birthday". Complete Bliss from word go. I then told my Partner of her Spa Treatments I had arranged so she ventured down to the Spa whilst I went to the Gym for a workout followed by a relaxation session in the Sauna and Steam Room. Such a beautiful atmosphere being able to look out onto the Mourne Mountains in Winter.

We then ate dinner in the Oak Restaurant. We had been before and we knew that what we would order would be exquisite. Three Courses consisting of Fishcakes, Chicken and Salmon followed up nicely with Banana Cheesecake, Jam and Coconut Sponge cake. Excellent. We were lucky to be presented with a Bottle of Wine with our dinner thanks to someone phoning up previous and purchasing so we didn't need any more drinks with out meal.

This was a one off for us as we live just over an hour from Newcastle itself, but it's the one offs that are supposed to be special. Hastings Hotels and Debbie Burns and her team definitely made this one of our best trips away. I cannot fault this hotel in anyway and really look forward to our next trip to Slieve Donard Spa Resort. It's people like Debbie and her Team that make going to such Hotels that extra bit more special than anywhere else and this is why I titled the Review Appropriately. If anyone has any questions don't hesitate to contact me because I'll be happily to share any answers with you.

Room Tip: Resort Rooms are that little bit better, so try and request one.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (726)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013 via mobile

After reading the last few reviews I must have been staying in a different hotel.On checking in the check in girl was lovely and explained everything to us and even up graded us to a room with a view.We also were on a Travelzoo deal for two nights.All the staff were very well mannered and friendly especially the wee door man .The meal we got in the restaurant was nice enough and the waiter staff were excellent.The weather was awful on our second day stay and only ventured out for a short walk so spent time in the gym(no loud music) and pool area which had lovely views of the Mournes.We weren't treated any less because we had a Travelzoo voucher and will defiantly come back to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Julesw43
Belfast, Northern Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

Just back from my third stay at this hotel. This time round it was meant to be for two nights we checked out at 11pm on the second night as we simply decided it was crazy staying in a "4 star hotel" when our home was simply much nicer and 25 mins drive away, allow me to explain....

Got a 2 night stay and 2 evening meal deal from their website. Arrived and we were upgraded to a better room not sure of the reason but that was good so very pleased we settled into our upgraded room which was pleasent enough, clean and well apointed.

I had raved about the pool and spa facilities as I had been twice before to this hotel to my new partner. I was made out to be a liar as the facilities are now fairly tired. Granted with the pool area and changing areas it was all superficional such as cracked or missing tiles or things could just use a lick of paint or a good scrub but pretty much took the polish of what is meant to be a nice area of the hotel to use and I am sure why a lot of people come in the first place. The chaning rooms and whole pool area was freezing and I mean really cold.

My other half had a massage and facial and this as I think we all is meant to be relaxing... she had loud techno music pumping in from the room next door which I think is the gym it was so bad she was aplogised to twice by the person giving the massage and also by the girl at reception but they clearly didnt think it was that bad to reduce the bill in anyway.

Being "evil" smokers we adhered to the hotel's no smoking policy and went outside for a cigarette at the smoking area where the spa doors are. We went out through the doors only to have them locked behind us at about 10pm and we had the cheek to ring the door bell and wait 15 minutes for the deputy manager to appear (the Egpytian fella) to finally appear to let us back in he seemed less than impressed. When I asked him what the issue was due to his attitude he proceed to argue the toss with over the door. I tried to walk away a few times until I finally lost my paitence and asked him to refrain from argueing with me. He clearly has no idea how to be a professional hotelier.

As I said out evening meal was part of the deal on both nights we didn't even bother going for the second night even though it was paid for because the first night's meal was poorly cooked, poorly served and with attitude.

Our bed also dipped badly in the middle which gave us both a sore back the next morning.

If you take anything from this review its this.... we paid to eat elsewhere on the second night even though our meal was included in the hotel, and we went home without staying the second night which we still paid for just to save an arguement with the same deputy manager as we were too tired and fed up we just wanted to get home.

This hotel trades on its name and its just not up to a standard of what it should be. It is best left to old biddies who the resturant menu seems to be catered to given its extremley bland set of ingredients.

If I was John Toner (the manager) or a member of the Hastings family I would be utterly ashamed to have my name associated with this hotel. I myself am ashamed to have this place in my country and actually aplogised to an American guy I met in the "smoking area"!

Room Tip: Camp on the beach you would get less attitude from the up themsevles staff.
3 Thank Robert M
General_Manager_JT, General Manager at Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Slieve Donard Resort & Spa.

I was very disappointed to hear that you had such a disappointing stay with us on this occasion as you had stated that your two previous stays had been exceptional. It is clear that your experience on this visit did not meet our usually high standards of service.

With regard to your Spa experience I agree that your partner's Spa treatment was not as it should be. Our guests return time and again to relax in the luxurious surroundings of the Spa and we pride ourselves on providing the highest level of service. I will raise all of your concerns on this matter with the Spa and hotel management team so that we can make the necessary improvements for the benefit of our guests.

I can fully understand that you did not feel able to discuss your concerns with us at the time of your stay but would like to assure you that had we been made aware of these matters every effort would have been made to rectify the situation.

I appreciate the time taken to complete this review and will use it as a tool for further development of the hotel and to improve the service we provide. All issues will be raised with the relevant staff members and we will strive to make all necessary changes.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

Stayed for one night in Feb 2013 using travelzoo voucher, upon check in we already felt as if we were treated differently as we were on an offer, with the couple being checked in beside us being offered newspapers, wake up call etc, we were simply handed our room key and directed towards the lift.

Room spacious and clean, bathroom modern but can't say the same for the bedroom, old and dated furniture, no light, the main light switch was for a standing lamp that gave out very little light leaving the room dull. No fridge or even water and glasses in room. Room service menu finishes at 10pm, unusual not to have a simple 24hr menu in this day and age. Wifi was £6 for 1hrs use, not even free in the lobby, again another example that they need to get with the times. Comment card in room yet no pen to be found anywhere, despite the room directory stating a full range of stationery was provided in each room, laughable.

Went to spa, no dressing gowns provided in rooms so have to bring change of clothes etc down to spa with you. Pool freezing cold we couldn't even go in, sauna was lovely and jacuzzi nice for a while. Juice bar in spa area looks nice and states to be open til 9pm daily, at 7pm no sign of life whatsoever and looked closed to me.

Ate in the Oak restaurant for dinner, on a set menu included in our deal. Choice was very limited. Had soup to start which was far too salty and no bread arrived to have with it even though it was stated on the menu! Mains lovely, desserts just ok and we were shocked to see the price when we got the bill, £8 for a slice of mediocre cheesecake! Rediculous and the price does not reflect the quality of the food.

Beds large and comfortable.

We arrived down for breakfast just before 10am and got seated straight away although this was a weekday. They advertise breakfast as a buffet but staff dish it out to you and are not too generous with it. The cooked breakfast was delicious all the same. Booklet on table showing where all their products are sourced was a nice touch. Breakfast supposed to be on until 10.30 however they started to turn the lights off at 10.20! Even though there were still about 10 tables eating. Hardly welcoming.

Check out again no more than a thanks. Not even a how was your stay. Based on our stay we have no idea how this hotel has won any awards, we had stayed in the Galgorm resort & spa only a couple months previously and it is completely on another level compared to the Slieve Donard. The service from staff and surroundings/decor and value for money leave me to rate this hotel 3* at best. Advice for potential guests-go to Galgorm for a real luxury spa stay! We will not be back to the Slieve Donard.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

I would like to apologise that you felt you were treated differently than other guests due to being on a Travel Zoo offer, this was not our intention. All guests arriving at the hotel should be given the same information and warmly welcomed. I will share this review with our Front Office Team so that they may ensure that all guests feel welcome at the hotel.

Whilst it is correct that we do not have a 24 hour room service available at the hotel it is incorrect that we do not have free Wi-Fi in public areas. We have free Wi-Fi in the lobby and in Chaplin's Bar so that our guests and conference users can keep up to date with their social and business network.

With regard to the Spa it has come to our attention that the pool area had an issue with temprature at certain occasions and we will continue to monitor this in order to ensure there are no further occurrences of this nature.

Guests staying at the hotel using a Travel Zoo voucher have a set menu as agreed by Travel Zoo which is available for guests to view prior to purchasing the offer. I apologise if the food on offer was not to your taste. I will share your concerns with our Head Chef.

I have noted all your comments and appreciate that you feel unable to return, we will use your comments to make improvements for our future guests.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

Upon arrival - we met Paula (on reception) who was extremely unwelcoming! Can't put my finger right on it, but just wasn't very nice!
The Slieve Donard is unable to use the "smart phone " version of the voucher i.e. with the fancy bar code printed. They INSIST on a paper copy to send to another Hastings hotel.....what a joke! So if you do not have a paper version of the voucher they send you to their own PC (in the Business Centre) and ask that you print out a copy from there. The only problem is it does not have Adobe reader loaded and therefore one cannot view or print the actual voucher! It's locked down and requires "administrator" rights to install anything. Come on SDH - get with the 21st century please!
We arrived at 2pm - Check-in was at 3pm - they were late and we received the key at approx. 3.40pm. No apology whatsoever - Paula arranged the key cards.
Don't expect any flexibility or "value add" service to be demonstrated by the Slieve Donard hotel staff with a "TravelZoo" deal. You are regarded with utter disdain! For example, according to the waiting staff in the restaurant we were the "zoo people" and were in a separate section of the main restaurant. I kid you not - this was the term used by their staff.
Please be ready to order your appetiser, entrée, dessert, tea / coffee right away - even though it's a set menu (which is fine!) there's no ordering dessert or tea / coffee after main course. On no! That's far too much trouble.
Room and bathroom were lovely (although I did pay for an upgraded room!) - the variety and extent of the toiletries can only be described as "sparce". One tiny "White Company" shampoo and shower gel container each along with the smallest (50p sized!) soap. That was it!
The only saving grace (keeping the review from a "bad" was a gorgeous breakfast. Well done chef!! :-)

Room Tip: Check in on time - do not expect your room to be available any earlier.
2 Thank Michael D
Thank you for your review of the Slieve Donard Resort & Spa.

It is always disappointing to receive feedback of this nature as we pride ourselves on the warm welcome given to our guests.

It is correct that we do ask for a hard copy of the voucher for our records and as such guests are asked to print out the voucher prior to arrival to ensure there is no unnecessary delay at Reception. We have an Internet hub in the museum area of Reception which also has printing facilities for guests to print out documents such as boarding passes. The internet hubs are for internet use only, in a similar way to those found in airports, and therefore would not have the facility for downloading programs such as adobe. For this reason guests are asked to print out the voucher before arriving.

I apologise for the short delay in checking in to your room. Guest rooms are guaranteed from 3pm onwards. On your arrival Paula telephoned the housekeeping department and arranged for them to prioritise your room availability and offered you complimentary tea and coffee in Chaplin's Bar. in order to make your short wait more comfortable It is regrettable that you felt Paula was unwelcoming, we will share your concerns with her. Paula is a concientious and hardworking member of staff and I am sure she will use this feedback constructively.

With regard to your dining experience I agree that there should be no differentiation between guests and will address this concern with the Restaurant Manager so that he may ensure his staff continue to offer the highest level of customer service.

I am glad that you enjoyed your room and will pass on your regards to the Chef regarding the buffet breakfast served in the Oak Restauarant.

Please be assured all of your concerns will be discussed with our management team and improvements will be made based on this review.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

Just back from a weekend away at the Slieve Donard with my husband.We arrived for check in opening to be told we had got a upgrade which is always nice to hear. We got to our room and it was lovely really nice views of the beach. My only gripe about the room was out ipod dock was not working which was a letdown and it didnt have a fridge. We went on our walkabout about the hotel and found it very inviting and relaxing. As part of our package deal we had a meal booked in the Oak Resturant which was lovely it was not as modern as the bar and reception area but I think that this has been kept like this to keep in with the style of the building. My self and my husband took the scallops they where delicious I took the fillet steak paying the £5 supplement it was a beauitful piece of meat I was disappointed that it was served on a bed of leaks it felt very dated. For dessert I had the banna split which I thought would have been updated making it something special but it wasnt it was very basic, my husband took the belguim and banana cheescake it was very dry and tasteless (cheesecake is his favourite). We spent the rest of the evening in the bar which is lovely but could do with some sort of light entertainement or music. The following morning we had breakfast which is everything you expect it was a little over done some of the things which was suprising as we where down at 8.30am. We where back at the room at 10am 1hr before checkout we had house keeping knocking on all of the doors asking to service the rooms I felt this was unnecessary as we had to vacate in a hours time. We ended our stay at the spa we didnt opt for any treatments as they where very expensive, the spa is beautiful and very well done. We did however go to the sauna and pool area but it was very busy more like a lesuire centre than a spa. Overall it was a lovely stay I would come back if the resturant menu was updated to modern menu. Maybe next time come back as a family as it is a family friendly hotel.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

I recently had an hour long aromatherapy massage in the Spa.I was not a guest in the hotel but had been given a voucher as a Christmas present for a Spa treatment.When I made the reservation over the phone the lady was very professional and sent me a confirmation email the same day.Upon arrival to the Spa I was shown around the facilities and everything was explained to me fully re:the changing area,sauna,refreshments,jacuzzi,steam room and relaxation suite.The staff advise you to arrive 1 hour before your treatment and to bring a swimsuit so that you can enjoy all of the above.Everything was clean,tidy,fresh and beautifully decorated.The relaxation suite was just divine.You go here several minutes before your treatment and lie on an electric bed.It has a 'V' shaped pillow with towel for resting your head,soft earphones to listen to a choice of music,individual bedside snake lights for reading,remote control for bed(to gain your optimal comfort position),magazines,refreshing water with ice,lemon and orange slices,fresh fruit,dim lighting etc.I could have stayed there for a couple of hours easily!!The treatment I had was with Rachael,again very professional,friendly,knowledgeable and really enjoys her work.The massage was fantastic!Thank you to all the staff and I will be dropping big hints to get another voucher for next Christmas or sooner.

Room Tip: 1 small criticism-the seating in the jacuzzi not comfortable for relaxing your head back against(tub...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Donard Hotel
#1 of 19 in Newcastle
St Patrick's Stream
St Patrick's Stream
#11 of 19 in Newcastle

Been to Slieve Donard Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!