“Sort Break”

Slieve Donard Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My wife and I chilled out here on a short break and enjoyed some walks in the Newcastle area. The evening meal in the hotel restaurant was good and the variety and standard of the breakfast was excellent.
We used the spa and while the treatments were good the spa whirlpool was not working and we had to use the whirlpool in the main pool area.
This hotel is in a magnificent setting and our room looked out over the beach to Slieve Donard and The Mourne Mountains.
We enjoyed our stay and will come back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: All sea view room are excellent
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,246)

Reviewed 18 August 2013

I am writing this from my hotel bed I am that disappointed in my stay here.

Yes, it has lovely views, a nice enough spa (though not amazing) and a comfortable bed.. But my husband and I came here for an overnight and to get a lie in since becoming parents 10 months ago... I get more of a lie in at home. The walls/door which connects you to the room next door must be paper thin and there have been two women next door, awake since 6.15am, chatting away and I can (almost) hear every word, hear every laugh, hear what I don't want to hear since all I want to do is sleep :( very disappointing to be awake from 6.15am on a rare overnight away because of the noisy neighbours (but I don't blame them - they have every right to chat - I blame the hotel that I can hear them).

We definitely won't be coming back here anytime soon to get a
'lie in'.

Can I also point out that we have stayed in lots of lovely hotel and always give good feedback and don't nit-pick - I don't think I've ever given a negative review - but I am disappointed in the
Slieve Donard, which is unfortunate.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank suzej21
Reviewed 17 August 2013

For a hotel which claims to be four star, I think they barely manage to make this.
My husband and I visited as a supposed luxury treat, far from it was our stay!
Bedrooms which haven't been refurbished are average, no fridge in your room for use of or as a minibar option. food in the restaurant was good as an evening option however breakfast is a buffet affair and leaves a lot to be desired if I'm honest. Everything held in bain marie style servers means that items like eggs or fried bread end up hard and unpalatable.
The spa area though very bright, was far from perfect. On arrival when the receptionist heard we were resident and not paying members she was just a little bit less polite, still courteous but there was a perceptive change in her attitude towards us. My digital locker decided to lock me out (apparently the batteries had died) and had to be forced open by a hotel workman. Vitality pool was not working and hoardes of children screaming, dive bombing the pool and splashing round made me feel I was in the local leisure centre summer scheme rather than a "luxury" spa. I tolerated 40 minutes before having to leave. The juicuice bar was unattended and seating area hadn't been cleared of used crockery etc.
Housekeeping seemed to leave a lot to be desired, our room servicing during the day was a basic bed change and wipe down of sink. Floor hadn't been vacuumed but bizarrely our soap was replaced with a fresh wrapped bar, such a waste! I had to ask for extra toiletries at reception on our first evening as we were only left enough for one person.
If you want a luxury experience, go to Galgorm! Don't expect it here!

1  Thank arkonitebabe
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My wife and I stayed for one night mid week dinner bed and breakfast 14/15 August. Everything was superb. The room had a superb view of sea and Slieve Donard. The bed was the most comfortable that we have had in a hotel. The staff were very welcoming and helpful. We had one of the best dinners that we have ever had. Excellent food cooked to perfection and good wine too. The swimming pool was wonderful and the breakfast very good. Real coffee. Real fresh orange juice. We have stayed in hotels in France, Spain and Italy where oranges grow and never get fresh orange juice. Then there is the wheaten bread an Ulster favourite made in house. Grilled bacon the best we have every tasted. Top marks to the Slieve Donard. Also cheaper than many lesser hotels on the continent. Staff really good.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed here for one night, mid week and got a reasonably good deal in comparison with the weekend tariff.
The grounds are just lovely and the hotel itself looks very grand and impressive on approach.
We checked in around 2.15pm and our room was not ready yet, so we decided to use the spa until it was.
This was no inconvenience at all,as check in us not until 3pm. I asked would we be provided with robes and slippers, and was told yes, but we didn't get these, and unfortunately not any in the room either!
The spa didn't really meet the expectations I had of it. I was disappointed that the jacuzzi/vitality pool was out of service and therefore not really much else to do in the spa...although the pool is lovely.
When we checked in, We had been given an upgrade to a seaview room which was lovely, although there is quite extensive damp on the bathroom ceiling (room 216). The beds are just amazing- SO comfortable with the most amazing pillows!
(Have to say though-I was not expecting the next morning to have workmen on a cherry picker RIGHT outside our window!)
Breakfast was glorious! Buffet style- huge choice with good quality produce. I loved that there were little notes to explain the origin of the produce.
All in all, our stay was lovely- Newcastle is a lovely place, and although there were some little hints of slipped standards- the Slieve Donard is a lovely hotel and I would definitely stay again if I got a good deal!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My partner and I, our 4 year old son and my parents stayed at the Slieve Dondard from 9 - 11 August 2013. From the minute we arrived, we knew we were going to have a wonderful time. From the helpful staff at Reception to the Doormen and Concierge, nothing was too much bother. We ate in the Oak Room on the Friday evening and the meal was superb; the goats cheese, spinach and pear starter was outstanding as was the salmon as a main. Our Superior Family Room was beautifully appointed with wonderful views. The hotel had generously upgraded my parents to The Slievenabrock Suite as it was their 50th Wedding Anniversary. The Suite was simply beautiful! The Spa facilities were superb also! All in all, we had a fabulous stay and cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This was our second stay here in recent years, and as usual, it proved to be a great stay. We had requested 3 rooms close to one another ,because of young children, also requested quiet rooms....all our wishes were met with a smile, perfect ! Fab pool and gym in which we spent a lot of time, great breakfast food selection, buzzing bar at night. We ate our evening meals in the town in restaurants recommended by the concierge, so can't rate the hotel restaurant but the menu looked fab, all in all a great hotel. will we go back again ?..... can't wait !

Room Tip: rooms in the older part of the hotel are quieter than in the more modern section, ask for a room ove...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank brigantine532
General_Manager_JT, General Manager at Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Thank your taking the time to review your recent stay at the Slieve Donard Resort & Spa.

I am very pleased that you and your family had an excellent stay with us and hope that you will be back to visit soon. It is always a boost to receive such positive feedback on the services we provide and I will share your review with the team in recoginition of their hard work.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Donard Hotel
#13 of 47 in Belfast
The Haven Newcastle
The Haven Newcastle
#8 of 18 in Newcastle

Been to Slieve Donard Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!