“Lovely spot” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Ireland
“Lovely spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Decided to pay a visit to this hotel while spending the day in Newcastle. The hotel looks like something from hog warts from the outside ! But inside it is a far cry from Harry potter . We had lunch in the lighthouse room which was really nice. I chose to go for the chicken wrap and my other half had the salmon crepe which was delish . We had the coffee to follow with naughty but very nice scones. The only thing I didn't like was there was no side plates for the scones so they had to be prepared on the one plate which got very messy . The waitresses were very busy so couldn't get there attention. We thought it was good value considering the location it was £29 . Would definatly come back again hopefully to stay over and use the lovely facitilities this lovely hotel has to offer.

• Stayed September 2013
      Cleanliness

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (726)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

A friend and I attended the Van Morrison evening in this hotel in July 2013. The service was totally unacceptable, we struggled to get someone to take our drinks order in the first place then we waited for our drinks for the entire meal, when we enquired about our order we were spoken to very abruptly by a staff member. We didn't even a manage to get a drink of water with our meal....eventually we got our order of a bottle of wine when we had almost finished eating!! At which stage we were extremely thirsty and very frustrated! (The cost of this evening was £200 per ticket)There were lots of staff yet no one seemed to be doing anything...apart from a few who were rushed off their feet! I did email to complain and found the response to be equally as unsatisfactory to say the least...organisation and customer service training needed badly!!! What a joke!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank LMWalsh
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

I arrived to Slieve Donard Resort and Spa after long and exhausted trip with lot of problems. The first sight of the hotel was just great. A big castle like building with all lights lit up was so welcoming in Irish foggy evening. Reception staff was friendly and efficient.There was no bellboy to help with luggage, but I guess one would have appeared had I asked for him.
The room was big and airy with fresh air and view to sea and mountains. Lovely bathroom with rainshower. Room could have been a dream to come true, but it was lacking wifi (unacceptable) and minibar. Also the light system was beyond my understanding.
Dinner in the restaurant was lovely. They serve local food and tell origin of ingredients. Breakfast was rich and you could find helpings to each taste.
Due to my very short visit I didn't have chance to test the spa, but the price level for spa treatments seemed to be quite high.
I will definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Derry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

Booked this hotel for one night primarily because of the fitness suite, pool and the location. The room allocated was very small. The hotel was extremely noisy, in fact, I had to phone reception after midnight to complain that we couldn't get to sleep. The equipment in the fitness suite didn't work. Whilst I was eating my breakfast and I turned to speak to my husband the waitress came and lifted my cereal bowl which I hadn't finished with. We got the impression she was trying to hurry us up to get the breakfast cleared but we were still within the time allocated for breakfast. On checking out I was asked if everything had been to our satisfaction and I indicated the problems outlined above and the Receptionist said she would pass them on to the Manager. We received a letter from the Manager indicating that because of the digital switchover the equipment in the fitness suite hadn't been dealt with as yet. As far as I am aware it is months and months since the digital switchover. He apologized for the noise and that we didn't enjoy our stay and said that the staff in the diningroom was of the highest standard. The Manager indicated that when we would decide to return to the Slive Donnard we were to ask for him and he would see us 'alright'. We would have absolutely no intention of staying in this hotel again nor would we recommend it. We epected a lot more from this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank magsderry
Banbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

We were six friends celebrating a birthday with a surprise treat of an overnight in ‘The Slieve Donard’. The experience exceeded expectations. The attention to detail and the warm welcome that we received from staff at the Slieve Donard was greatly appreciated. Our stay was less than 24hours; nevertheless such was the ambiance of the Slieve and Spa with its magnificent views of the Mourne Mountains and the Irish Sea that we left rejuvenated, refreshed and energised.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mariposa888
Omagh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Myself and boyfriend returned to the Slieve Donard and this time had a completely different experience. The staff were all helpful and friendly and service cannot be faulted. I would like to thank the Slieve Donard for the kindness they gave to me after my first visit. I would highly reccommend going here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stephen_Meldrum_GM, General Manager at Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Thank you for your review of the Slieve Donard Resort & Spa. It is wonderful to hear that you had such a positive experience on this stay. Customer satisfaction is so important to us here and we go the extra mile to ensure our guests have a stay which exceeds their expectatations and I am glad this has not gone unnoticed.

We are very pleased that you decided to give the hotel a second chance so that we were able to offer the high quality service and attention to detail that all of our guests deserve.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Dundalk, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

I must say my expectations were high considering the price tag, 175 a nite . We were booked into the Oak , the hotels "fine dining" restaurant, extremely over priced pub grub more like it. 21 pounds for 1 small pork chop and two tiny slices of pork belly, an absolute rip off. The bar, another extreme con job, 9 pounds for a strawberry daqiiri.
The room wasnt much better , sub standard, no bath robes, noisy neighbours fighting at 3am, nice clientele. Staff were very courteous.
The only saving grace was breakfast and the location.
How hasting hotels markets slueve donaard as a 4 to 5 star hotel is beyond me. Its more a 3 star with ribbins. We really felt totally ripped off and wouldnt recommend it to anyone. / stephen

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank stephen e
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I am disappaointed that there were aspects of your stay which did not meet our usually high standards. The Oak restaurant regularly receives positive feedvback about its portion size and food quality and we are very proud of the meals we serve. I apologise if this was not your expereince on this occasion. I will of course share your concerns with the Head Chef so that he may take your comments into consideration.

I would like to thank you for highlighting the areas for improvement as well as the areas in which we excel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Donard Hotel
#1 of 19 in Newcastle
St Patrick's Stream
St Patrick's Stream
#11 of 19 in Newcastle

Been to Slieve Donard Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!