“As good as it gets”

Slieve Donard Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed 1 night at the SD last week. It was fantastic. We have stayed in different 5 star hotels and found that none come close to the SD. Staff, service, rooms, food and spa perfect. Can't wait to go back.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,245)

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I recently attended a wedding at this hotel (I will not name the date in order not to embarrass the bride and groom), there were two weddings at the hotel on the day and I don't know if that effected the standard of the meal we were served or not but either way the meal was far from acceptable. The soup was served hot but tasted predominantly of salt, it was served with a wholemeal muffin which was a nice touch, unfortunately when it came to the main course half of the meals served to our table were returned and the rest said they should have returned theirs also, the problem was that the food was cold, we were one of the first tables to be served so I can't imagine that the rest of the guests food was any hotter. The real let down was when the food was returned to us it was no hotter, the plates were hotter but not the food!!! Only one person returned the food a second time as the rest of us just couldn't be bothered at that stage and yes, his did come back hot the second time. Luckily we were sitting far enough from the top table so that the bride and groom could not see what was happening, yet this is part of the problem as they then ended up paying for food which was substandard. The dessert was a lemon tart which certainly lived up to its name, again at our table it was mostly left uneaten due to its extreme tartness. The standard of service wasn't great either, while sitting having our tea and dessert five different members of staff tried to remove my partners tea and dessert without checking if he was finished! They just stuck their hand in and lifted the plate from in front of him without asking, the first and maybe the second time it was amusing, after that it was just rude. There were three untouched desserts beside us, the guests sitting there had gone to the bar etc and we had to keep telling the staff to leave the desserts, they seemed in an extreme hurry to clear the tables, we were not seated at a table which needed to be cleared to be moved or anything so we were puzzled by the attitude of the staff, it certainly felt like we were being told to hurry up. The bar prices for non alcohol drinks seemed high but maybe we are being charged for the fantastic views which are hard to beat and I am sure make for really excellent wedding photos but overall it was a disappointing experience.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Had a 2 night stay here at Easter. Great stay - spa facilities used to the maximum - sauna has floor to ceiling windows with view over bay, town and mountain backdrop; the vitality pool (jacuzzi) is long and thin, with all seats looking out on the same view rather than at the person opposite (no embarrassing leg tangles with strangers!!) Don't understand the reviews that complained about its maintenance - we are VERY critical and saw none of the cracked tiles, dusty sauna etc, and children are only allowed in with adult supervision and up until 7pm. Room was lovely - bed was massive and VERY comfortable, views amazing. The staff also were amazing - efficient, courteous, great attention to detail (though I think it is nicer to wait until ALL people at the table are finished eating before removing plates) - their staff training is definitely paying off. The hotel is quiet - no rowdiness, drunkenness, karaoke etc - if you want that then stay elsewhere or head into town which is just a 2 minute walk away. It is a relaxing oasis of calm, comfort and elegance, with all the local amenities close at hand. Special mention to Hakan - if he is managing the restaurant, your every need will be met.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I'm just back from an overnight stay at Slieve Donard as part of an Easter mini break. I think one of the hotel's main selling points is its setting, looking out over the Irish sea with the Mourne mountains as a backdrop. I did not grow tired of the awesome views once I ventured outside the hotel doors.

In terms of first impressions, I felt that the receptionist who checked us in was rather curt in her approach, neglecting to make eye contact and reciting the usual check-in formalities in a robotic fashion. She muttered a 'hope you enjoy your stay' as had our backs turned and had begun walking towards the lift. Despite this, the remaining staff I encountered were very courteous and friendly.

The room was spacious, but lacked any wow factor. I really liked the spacious shower and the bed was reasonably comfortable. There were two weddings in progress on the night we stayed, which didn't cause much inconvenience, apart from the 'thud-thudding" of loud music apparent in our room - strange, considering we were on the third floor. Despite this, it didn't interrupt my sleep.

The breakfast buffet was most enjoyable (especially the porridge with whiskey, cream and honey). It felt truly five star to enjoy breakfast in the opulent surroundings of the hotel.

Finally, the pool facilities were probably the best I have experiences in Ireland! I really enjoyed passing the early evening in the vitality pool (large jacuzzi to you and me!), gazing out at the sea. One slight thing - the presence of an ant pesticide contraption at the edge of said pool was a little off-putting. Perhaps a more concealed location for this would be more appropriate?

All in all, I would return to Slieve Donard for the experience. I did really feel like I was getting away from it all during my short stay. In terms of rooms, there are certainly better five-star hotels, but the setting is striking and memorable.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Just Home From Our Midweek Break At Slieve Donard. Our Room Was Palatial And Luxurious. From Start To Finish We Felt At Ease And Relaxed. As Soon As We Drove Up The Driveway We Felt Pampered. Staff And Facilities Excellent.
What A Shame We Couln't Stay Longer!!!! Can't Wait To Return.

Room Tip: I WOULD RECOMMEND A ROOM ON THE 3RD FLOOR."Corner suites are large and sunny"
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I was nervous about our stay here for two reasons: one, I had read a lot of disappointing reviews on here and two, the rate for our room went up significantly between when I called to ask what the rate would be and when I called back to book. It was a price hike of £60 with no explanation at the time of my initial call that the room might go up in price by the time I called again, and that started things off on a bad note BUT this is the loveliest hotel we've ever stayed in, and our whole experience was wonderful from start to finish. I feel as though the reviewers who have been negative on here can't have been staying at the same hotel. The location is just spectacular and the view of the sea and the mountains from the spa and pool is just unparalleled. Really breathtaking. Staff are friendly and attentive without intruding, and nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast is an absolute feast, kids are made to feel very welcome, and one of the rooms in our booking was upgraded free of charge because of a special birthday. That was a lovely touch and most appreciated. It is worth asking for a room in the new wing. Plenty of activities for kids too with an open air pool nearby and a playpark plus the beach. The bed is INCREDIBLE.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely family break here. The room was a bit tired the wallpaper was a bit old.. The spa is amazing. The staff are great and fantastic will children the bar manager Leo is in a league of his own he is an asset to your business. We were down for breakfast at 9.30 the buffet could for been a bit warmer. We will definitely return

Stayed: February 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Donard Hotel
#13 of 47 in Belfast
The Haven Newcastle
The Haven Newcastle
#8 of 18 in Newcastle

Been to Slieve Donard Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!