We stayed on a Friday night for a family gathering. We had a resort double room in the newer spa wing. The room was large with lovely views of the sea and the Mournes. A seating area with a couch and easy chair by the windows gave plenty of room to spread out.The bathroom had twin sinks with an excellent separate shower.
A couple of small annoyances let the room down. The light on the bathroom vanity mirror didn't work, the safe wouldn't lock and the hotel information file was old and tatty with some very out of date information.
My partner had a spa treatment while I relaxed in the pool. The pool has a beautiful outlook over the sea, there are some loungers to relax on and a sauna and steam room - the showers only seem to run (very) cold, when I commented to a member of staff that there seemed to be no hot water he said rather dismissively that ' those are cold showers'. I looked pointedly at the sign that said 'Warm Shower' but that seemed to be lost on him!
We had dinner in the Oak Restaurant, the staff were accommodating and friendly, the food was excellent and a lovely evening was had by our large group.
We went down for breakfast at about 8.45 - there are some notices around the hotel explaining which times are busiest at breakfast so we wanted to avoid those. We were lead straight to a lovely table for 2 by the windows. Breakfast is buffet style, a huge selection of well presented and beautifully cooked items topped off with very good decaf coffee. The Hastings group put an emphasis on locally sourced food, with a booklet on the tables explaining where the food comes from, a nice touch.
We had a lovely night at the Slieve Donard and would definitely return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestling at the foot of the Mourne Mountains, the Slieve Donard stands in six acres of private grounds, and is one of Northern Ireland's most popular hotels. The luxurious ESPA Spa commands spectacular panoramic views of the County Down coastline and Mountains of Mourne and provides a perfect oasis of tranquility rivals any spa in Europe today. This superbly maintained Victorian hotel is equally suited to a short break, residential conference or grand event. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Slieve Donard Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Slieve Donard Newcastle
- Donard Hotel Slieve
- Donard Hotel Newcastle Slieve
- Slieve Donard Hotel Newcastle
- Slieve Donard Resort And Spa Newcastle, Northern Ireland