“Almost perfect. But not quite!”

Slieve Donard Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed here for a wedding and my wife booked us a room in the new Spa wing , the room was very modern clean and had a sitting area and desk. So far so good...unfortunately the wifi was paid for and only free if you are a BTWifi customer, which I am . I was surprised that a 4 star hotel was still charging for internet in NI .

The breakfast was included and was very good with a wide choice and clean whie linen tablecloths and napkins.

Throughout the stay the staff were very helpful and there were plenty of them, this was a real positive.

The big issue was the noise from the room next door where we could hear the TV and the conversations, the new wing clearly had some sound proofing issues which made our nights sleep pretty broken and took away from the experience.

We did complain on checkout and were given a sizeable discount without too much haggling but we'd have preferred to have peace and quiet in the first place....they promised to look into it and blamed an open vent in the aircon......

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sbz100
Stephen_Meldrum_GM, General Manager at Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Sbz100,

Thank you for taking your time to leave feedback, we are sad to hear you did not get the rest you needed.

I do apologise for this. We are glad to hear the issue was looked into, when an Air Con vent is open it does allow sound to travel through it, hence why you were able to hear everything.

I will pass this onto the relevant parties to ensure this does no occur in the future.

Thank you for choosing Hastings Hotels. We hope to wish you back in the future.

Berni McCartney
Guest Services Coordinator

Write a ReviewReviews (3,115)

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I have sampled some of the best hotels throughout the UK and Ireland and I was very disappointed with the service at the spa. I purchased a spatisserie deal (this wasn't cheap at £85) which included 1 hour treatment and lunch. At the time, I thought this was amazing value for money for a four-star hotel. However, the food was deplorable and the service was lacking the four-star rating! The scones that were served in our high- tea package were stale and the tea was cold! Even the macaroons looked past their shelf life. I wouldn't recommend the spa - the facilities aren't first-rate and the restaurant certainly didn't live up to standards either.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Shine_forever123
Stephen_Meldrum_GM, General Manager at Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear MDevlin,

Thank you for taking your time to leave feedback, we are sad to hear you did not enjoy your Afternoon Tea.

I can assure you everything is normally sourced locally or made in house and I cannot explain as to why the Scones felt stale. I can assure you this isn’t normal procedure and we do provide 4* service on a regular basis, why you didn’t receive this I do not know, and I apologise for this.

I will pass this onto the relevent parties to ensure this does no occur in the future.

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend took me here for a weekend for my birthday and in my room my boyfriend requested birthday things and I got a plaque with fudge, a card, chocolates and a huge bunch of flowers. Loved this hotel and would definitely recommend!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shauna G

Dear ShaunaG,

Happy belated Birthday.

Thank you for the great feedback, we are extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

That is great to hear you enjoyed your birthday treats and had a great time.

We would like to take this time to thank you for your time and efforts to write this review. And we hope to welcome you back to the Slieve Donard Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

my wife and I went here for lunch on a sunny Saturday afternoon and the Lighthouse Lounge is quite a nice place to while away a couple of hours. The staff are friendly and helpful and the seafood salad i had was enjoyable, my wifes open prawn salad was fairly good as well but you cant help feel that a place like this should have a better menu than it does. Toasted sandwiches and Panninis are a bit ordinary and dated and to be honest the whole menu lacked imagination. I had intended to order the superfoods salad but was only told when i went to place the order that they no longer served it - why is it still on the menu? its only a minor gripe but i think the menu should be a bit more modern and interesting. I will go back and maybe by then the menu will have changed but i must say that its a very relaxed place to sit and full marks for that

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Keen Cookie,

Thank you for the great feedback, we are extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed your Sunday lunch

That is great to hear you got some time to relax and take in the great atmosphere and views.

We are happy to hear you enjoying your dining experience here in the hotel but you feel the menu is quite dated. We try to have something to suit everyone, we aim to please each and every customer and their preferences so I have passed your feedback onto the relevant parties.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I had a Sunday Night stay at the hotel with my mother. It was my mothers first time at the hotel and she had a wonderful time. We had a lovely lunch in the lighthouse lounge, the atmosphere was very relaxing and the view stunning from our table beside the window. We also received a complementary room upgrade to a seaview room as it was my mother first time at the hotel. We will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: Room 206 - Brilliant seaview and view of the mournes.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TCBFS
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Having arrived in Newcastle for a days walking in the Mourne's we were amazed to find the hotel we had booked had no record of our booking and were full. Panic....luckily the Slieve Donard were able to accommodate us at short notice and at a very reasonable rate. We weren't disappointed, the service was great, the room comfortable especially the bed and breakfast really hit the mark. Shall definitely be back.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband booked us into the Slieve Donard for our first wedding anniversary on the 1st June 2014. The room itself was very clean and well appointed and the reception staff could not have been more friendly or welcoming but we did encounter a few problems with our stay. My husband had explained it was our first anniversary and had arranged for flowers and wine to be left in the room for our arrival. The hotel staff very kindly left us a card wishing us a happy anniversary and also left a complimentary slate with fudge and mini desserts which would have been a lovely touch had they not written 'Happy Birthday' on the slate! We just laughed this off and enjoyed the breath taking view and a glass of wine. It was when we went down to our dinner reservation that we encountered the real problems. I am a vegetarian and my husband is a vegan so me made sure to contact the hotel in advance to ensure that they could provide a meal with our dietary requirements in mind before booking. When we spoke to the maitre d' upon arrival, they confirmed that the kitchen staff were aware of our requirements and assured us that these requirements could be met. When we sat down for dinner I noticed that my chair was stained and the table cloth had holes in it but I didn't want to make a fuss so I just ignored these issues even though I would expect more from a four star hotel. When the waiter came over my husband explained that he was a vegan and the kitchen were aware he was coming however the waiter did not seem to understand. We explained that my husband can not have any meat, dairy or eggs in his diet several times and thought the waiter understood when he said the chef had prepared something. We were very disappointed when they brought out a poached egg for the starter. We explained again what the dietary requirements were and my husband was then offered goats cheese! I got a very mediocre dish for my main which arrived well before my husbands 'risotto' which just turned out to be rice and peas. We just left at this point as my food was cold and we had a very long wait for my husband's very disappointing main. We explained our disappointment to the maitre d' when we were leaving the dining room and to be fair they were very apologetic and took the two glasses of Prosecco we ordered off our bill however we were offered no alternative meal or offered any further refund which was disappointing considering we had to go in to Newcastle to look for somewhere that was still open on a Sunday night to get dinner. The following morning we went down for breakfast and a member of staff who took our room number made a point of explaining they had gluten free bread available for us and it was very apparent that the staff do not understand different dietary requirements and needs. The rest of the stay was fine, as stated above the staff were friendly and the room was very clean. We also made use of the great pool but I must admit that I did walk away somewhat deflated especially considering that we were celebrating something special.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jess_McClelland

Dear Jess,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a feedback, we are very disappointed you did not enjoy your stay.

Firstly I would like to apologise for the issues which occurred with your meals, we have clearly stated your dietary requirements and these should have been met.

If you would, please contact me directly regarding this and I can pass it to the restaurant manager and ensue it is dealt with, my email is guestservices@sdh.hastingshotels.com

I also apologise for the "Happy Birthday" Slate rather than "Happy Anniversary". We do a lot of these for our guests and it could simply have been that someone in your vicinity should have got the birthday plate, I will pass this onto the relevant team to ensue this does not happen again in future.

I cannot apologise enough for the problems you encountered. We would like to take this time to thank you for your time and efforts to write this review.

I await your email.

Guest Services Coordinator

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Donard Hotel
#11 of 45 in Belfast
The Mourne Lodge
The Mourne Lodge
#1 of 7 in Kilkeel

Been to Slieve Donard Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!