“this amazing hotel needs a show built around it!!!”

Slieve Donard Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed 5 August 2014

as a photographer, it stunned me..as a traveler, it drew me in, as a historian, it charmed me!! from the multiple weddings, the amazing, incredible view of the beach, the huge room and bathroom, lovely staff, spa area, staff and food it was all awesome!!! the breakfast buffet has booklets on where all your food came from...it's delicious and you get whiskey to put in your oatmeal...what's not to love???

Room Tip: get the ones with the view...amazing!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Stephen_Meldrum_GM, General Manager at Slieve Donard Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Ikrocks,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent experience. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and got some time to avail of our great Spa Facilities. We are glad to hear it was a good stay. We are glad to hear you liked the Whiskey and Porridge idea, it is a great favourite by all.

If you have taken any lovely photos while here be sure to share them on our Twitter page, we love seeing guests photos.

Hastings Slieve Donard Resort & Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (3,116)

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed in hotel Sunday 3rd August. Gorgeous surroundings, very helpful staff, welcomed by a fantastic pianist playing in the bar and dinner area. Wonderful bedrooms, very comfortable. Breakfast was fantastic, so many options, couldn't fault anything. Only thing was the noisy doors banging. Other than that, would recommend.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I've stayed at the Slieve four times in the past year. The first two times were without complaint but unfortunately the last two have been somewhat disappointing. I would think that someone who makes return visits as often as I have would be assured some type of reward but that has not been the case. Last time I received a room with a double bed instead of the larger one requested as well as sans air conditioning and this time I'm in an inner room again without any air conditioning and terrible ventilation. Upon finding myself here I quickly called the front desk and requested another room but was given the same excuse as last time - we're all booked up. They did however bring me a small fan - gee thanks. I'm here for three days (booked the room a month ago) and I think it will be my last stay. I've been looking at other hotels on trip advisor and will probably opt for something a little different. I'm afraid next time I come I'll get placed in a closet off of the kitchen or something.
The setting here is beautiful but you have to get a room with windows pointing towards the view (not pointing into the center of the building like mine). Internet costs 10 pounds a day and is spotty at best. Breakfast is good enough but I've found better dinners elsewhere. Beds are comfortable.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We travelled over for just for the gig and booked a resort room at The hotel.
The room was clean and very comfortable
The Hotel was well presented and the staff were extremely hospitable and friendly.
Hotel food was good if expensive.
Only complaint was the charge for Wi-Fi (after 30m mins free) ...a pet peeve of mine especially after paying £300 for the room!
The concert was brilliant and we look forward to the next one.
I would even visit the hotel for the golf/sightseeing locally as the area is simply beautiful.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the resort rooms, as they have a sea view and are quieter...except for the helicopters...

Dear ShayEddy,

We are glad to hear you enjoyed the concert and the food. I can advise we will be getting WIFI throughout the whole hotel complimentary within the next 6 months. I am sure you can understand with the size of the building that this would be quite a large job.

We look forward to welcoming you the next time you stay.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

This weekend we stayed at Slieve Donard on Friday and Saturday night and unfortunately found the hotel noisy. There were weddings being hosted at the hotel on both nights which meant noisy guests being in the hotel until the early hours of the morning. On Friday night my husband and I were woken by a drunk guest hammering on doors in the corridor where our room was because he had apparently been locked out of his room. On Saturday night we found there was a smoking shelter under our bedroom window where various guests were congregating and talking very loudly. Unfortunately our bedroom window had a broken handle so we were unable to close the window which may have reduced the noise.
The hotel itself has good facilities and helpful staff but because it plays host to large functions, there can be a significant number of disruptive guests.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not positioned above one of the function suites as when weddings are hosted t...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear 123steph456798,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent experience. We are sorry to hear about the issues you occurred during your stay.

We are very sorry your night was disrupted by some weddings guests, our hotel is very a popular venue for weddings and functions. I can assure you that we always have a manager on duty to deal with such issues, if it was brought to their attention we could have dealt with it, we do apologise for this.

If you would like to mail me with your room number I can ensure the handle is taken care of if not done so already.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

All that you could imagine about a seaside hotel and resort comes true. The property is breathtaking and well maintained. The rooms are superb, with the most comfortable beds that I ever slept in. The restaurant has a wonderful breakfast buffet and dinner was a delight.
The property is spectacular

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Recently attended a concert at Slieve Donard and stayed the night. The room was fabulous (the beds are amazing!) and we were fortunate enough to have a fabulous view of the bay and mountains. My friend and I both have special dietary requirements but the staff went out of their way to accommodate this. The food was great. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank fwilp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Donard Hotel
#12 of 46 in Belfast
The Mourne Lodge
The Mourne Lodge
#1 of 7 in Kilkeel

Been to Slieve Donard Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!