“Wedding day”
Review of Hugh McCann's

Hugh McCann's
Ranked #6 of 60 Restaurants in Newcastle
Price range: US$5 - US$26
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Hugh McCann’s is family business that has been on the go for almost 40 years, the building is around 200 years old and has been sympathetically restored to preserve old world charm, yet with all modern comforts and fabulous design taking advantage of the stunning situation.The building nestles between the mountains and the sea. The restaurant looks onto the promenade and out to sea, the bar area, beer garden and wedding function room have views of the Mourne mountains. Ample parking for coaches is available nearby. Conference facilities include breathtaking 'breakout' areas, and fabulous opportunities for team building activities such as a walk in the hills or volunteering at a local national nature reserve.
Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

Me and my new wife had our wedding reception in hugh McCanns on the 1st of september 2017 and it was the perfect venue!! The whole day was perfect. All of our guests who travelled so far loved it. From the beer gardens to the food and service everything was first class. So a big thank you to all at hugh McCanns from Chris and Ciara for a special day. I would advise any couple getting married to check hugh McCanns out!!

Date of visit: September 2017
Hugh M, Manager at Hugh McCann's, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2017

Chris & Ciara, thank you so much for your wonderful review.

Thank you for allowing us to share in your big day! You are both such a fantastic couple and we wish you every happiness in the world

Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

Having eaten here at the end of a local classic car run that I have attended for the past few years I was shocked by the attitude of the young man on the make shift till in the restraunt upstairs . ( Table with float and no till.)
It was more his attitude towards being presented with Euro and proclaiming it a foreign currency that the business refused to take of which I had no problem. But to be told I was from another country was a step too far. Some of my friends that travelled from southern Ireland received the same treatment at the hands of this obviously inexperienced lad.
The last straw was stopping my friend from drinking a coke I bought him due to a badly fractured glass. I am only posting this as a warning to other visitors.

Date of visit: September 2017
11  Thank Pat M

Hi Pat, let me apologise for the level of service you received on that day. It falls well short of the standard we have set ourselves and that we try to maintain. It is our policy to try to dissuade customers from using Euro here as we can unfortunately only offer a bad rate due to secondary charges, although you were ok about this I felt I wanted to explain our position on that. For what he had said, again I apologise about that and having spoken to the member of staff he assures me he didn't mean it the way it came across and he himself apologises. We love having your Classic Car Club every year and as such there has never been any issue at previous occasions. We hope to see you again here next year.

Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

Wow! From the day we booked our wedding to the special day Hugh McCanns staff really did out do themselves!
Our wedding party was a large party and not once was is it an issue, everything we wanted we got and we couldn't have pictured our day any other way. The staff where amazing, the venue was amazing, the food was amazing and of course the prices where even better for our guests! A good drink for a decent price My partner and I would be quite particular and that never mattered as what we wanted we got even if I was particular many times, I really can't express how amazing our day was from start to finish! Of course everyone is still talking about it! Might just have to book a party for our year anniversary

Recommend Hugh McCanns to anyone who wants somewhere relaxed, fun, organised and romantic for a wedding and of course the next day get together!

Amazing two days! Thank you for everything

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

We had our wedding here on 10th August 2017. Can't thank everyone at McCanns enough for the best few days. I can't stress enough how great Donna, Niall, Brenda, Marc, Cormac, Ryan and the rest of the staff were. They went above and beyond not just for myself and Megan but all of our guests at the wedding. So many little touches behind the scenes and plenty of craic along with it from them. We also had a BBQ the next day in the secret garden and outside terrace, this was just as good as our wedding day with our guests loving the setting, venue and again the food was top class. Would highly recommend McCanns to anyone considering their venues. Thanks again.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

Got married on Thursday 10th August here and cannot rate it high enough. Venue and food perfect and as for the staff they lierally couldn't do enough for us and gave us the perfect wedding, Marc, Ryan, Cormac, Donna and Brenda to mention a few. It was the little touches behind the scenes that made it such a special day. For anyone thinking of booking their wedding here definately do it! We had a bbq the day after the wedding aswell and there was so much food and it was all soo tasty. The setting, decor and attention to detail made it brilliant and I cant speak highly enough for this place. Our guests have also all been raving as to how good the venue was over the two days. Cant wait to come back and visit. Thank you all soo much for making our wedding so special

Date of visit: August 2017