“Excellent digs for exploring Mourne Mountains”
Review of Avoca Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newcastle
Avoca Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Cork, Ireland
“Excellent digs for exploring Mourne Mountains”
Reviewed 26 November 2009

A group of five of us stayed at the Avoca for two nights in a weekend of hillwalking in the Mourne Mountains. We were able to walk to Slieve Donard from the door of the hotel.

The rooms were clean and spacious, though not plush, but acceptable given the rating of the hotel. The breakfast was fine and the staff were both friendly and helpful. The bar and restaurant were shut when we were there, as it was out of the holiday season, but we found excellent alternatives to both nearby (turn right out of hotel to street junction, Mourne Cafe, specialises in fresh fish from the local ports - speciality grilled lobster £12, & Hugh McCann's pub almost next door ).

Overall, a basic, unpretentious, somewhat dated seafront hotel but well situated for exploring the Mournes, with well priced accomodation and friendly staff.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank KevinForde

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
belfast
Reviewed 7 October 2009

My teenage daughter and I were disappointed not to be holidaying abroad this year, but our recent visit to Newcastle, soon eased this. On arrival at the hotel, the staff were welcoming, accommodating, friendly and humorous, which continued throughout our stay. The rooms were a pleasant surprise, homely, comfortable and clean, with a beautiful view. The food was delicious, with the famous 'fry' being grease-free (which actually tempted my daughter out of bed in the mornings-which is a first!) and the dinner menu reflecting a variety of tastes. The service was exceptional! In addition, it was so nice to be able to park the car in a safe location, and despite my dreadful parking skills, the staff did not complain at any time. I enjoyed my stay so much, that my daughter and I are returning during the Halloween break, and family members and friends are planning to book a break in the near future.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank teacherspetBelfast
Kilmallock
Reviewed 5 September 2009

The front door was locked on arrival and a not so friendly woman answered.i was given directions to the "luxurious" carpark- nearly enough rooms for 6 cars in a little back yard, which we have a "scenic" view of from our room. not all rooms have an en suite, fortunately ours did but was very small. quite expensive room rates too.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank BenStructor

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle hotels

Belfast
Reviewed 25 August 2009

When staying in the hotel, I felt the service was great, the staff where nice and the room service was fantastic!!
The room we stayed in has a lovely view of the beach from our window, although the decor was old fashioned me and my boyfriend enjoyed it.

On one occasion I got locked out of my room and service wernt very much help, as we where waiting almost an hour to get back in!

This was a let down.

But overall the hotels good value, would go back but did not appriate staff behaviour.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jennys756
belfast
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Granted the hotel could do with a make over but for what it costs its well worth the money.I went with my partner and our infant and found the staff very friendly and welcoming. Reports that the hotel was dirty are completly unfounded. Breakfast was hearty and very enjoyable and all meals servered in the restaurant where to a professional standard. There is a lack of television channels in the room but who goes on holiday to watch T.V. All in all fot £70 per night which includes breakfast for two you gotta give the place a thumbs up.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank kevijay
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 15 June 2009

Myself and my husband were guests at a wedding taking place at a neighbouring hotel and couldn't get booked in anywhere but the Avoca, which may have been for a reason.
It was ok, but just.
The best it had going for it was the view from the bedrom window and it appeared to be clean - but when something's that old and dowdy it can be hard to tell.
I was glad i wasn't there for any more than 1 night and even then made a speedy check out the next morning.
Bottom line.. if you can book somewhere else do and only use the Avoca as a last resort.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cahw28
South Wales
Reviewed 13 May 2009

The staff seem to specialise in unfriendly service and were unwelcoming to guests. No smile or courtesy greeting was offered by any of the staff we encountered who delivered service with a sneer. Guests are not even given a key to the front door. We were told, "there's a night porter on duty - usually." I suppose it's good for a laugh if you really want to experience the lack of hospitality on offer.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
6 Thank WanderlustSouthWales
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Donard Hotel
#9 of 18 in Newcastle
St Patrick's Stream
St Patrick's Stream
#13 of 18 in Newcastle

Been to Avoca Hotel? Share your experiences!