“Lovely”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Golf Links House

Golf Links House
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newcastle
Golf Links House
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Lisburn, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed here for our third time, as before it was great. We were quickly checked in by Patrick, very friendly. Room was lovely, very clean. En suite was spotless,lovely fresh white towels. They now have a lift installed,even better for those who are not great with stairs. Lovely bar were we had a few drinks before we had our tea in the restaurant, food great and plenty to choose from. Staff all very friendly,breakfast next morning was just as nice,served up by Eileen. Lovely lady, she likes a good chat. Only thing I could say on a negative point was that we stayed in Room 14 and the tv was a bit too small for the room. Will def go back again.

Room Tip: At the minute they are building a house at the back, so it was abit noisy with builders early in mor...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jenniferkennedy
golflinks, Owner at Golf Links House, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are very pleased you enjoyed and will take on board the point about the tv. Ps the work at the back is all finished now and normal service is resumed. Thanks again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I had a private function here today. Everything was well organised and went well. We had a meal which was very tasty and hot! Staff were very efficient and well organised and nothing was any bother. Thanks to Patrick and all the staff for a great experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JustJoanGirl24
golflinks, Owner at Golf Links House, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent visit with us. Thanks for such a glowing review and we hope to see you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a friend's wedding nearby and were delighted with our choice. On arrival we were met by the owner who gave us a warm welcome and instructed the manager to show us two rooms and give us the choice. We therefore chose a bigger room than we booked, which was much appreciated given we were getting ready for the wedding the next day. I must say all of the staff genuinely can't do enough for you. The room was good but a few little things could have made it great - a more powerful shower mainly. We didn't dine in the restaurant but it looked popular enough, though we did have breakfast such was wonderful, again with superb service. All in all it's great service and great value for money - I'd definitely stay again. Ed

• Stayed December 2013
golflinks, Owner at Golf Links House, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are so glad you enjoyed it and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Very clean and comfortable rooms. Phenomenal service from one individual...middle-aged man who worked the restaurant and helped at the front desk check in. We can't remember his name - sorry :(

Food was excellent! Best spare ribs I've had in a LONG time. Customer service was impeccable from restaurant staff. Not so much with one older lady behind the counter...see below.

Negative issue: Were told on the phone that they could not give us 1 room for a family of 4 due to the fact that they did not do "roll away" beds. Upon check in, lo and behold, there was a roll away bed right outside the door of one of the 2 rooms we had to rent. When I brought this up to Eileen at checkout, she just shrugged and said "oh...okay". No explanation or offer of a discount...just "oh...okay". Hmmm. Integrity is still pretty important in my book.

Negative issue 2: Loud, party crowd showed up at 0300 and woke up the entire hallway. Three rooms worth just in our families. Not cool.

Will probably find somewhere else on next stop or just swing by for spare ribs and keep going.

Room Tip: Need to ensure sleep and quiet stay...may want to try somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank f15blade
golflinks, Owner at Golf Links House, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent experience with us. It's good to hear that you enjoyed you experience overall but if i may address a couple of the negative issues.
I personally spoke to you at the time of booking, which was the morning of your arrival, and with such a large group I thought I had done my best to accommodate everyone. You had asked me about a 'camp bed' on the phone I explained that the only rooms we had available would not accommodate and and extra bed, at which point i offered you an extra room at no extra charge? I'm sorry if you feel this was the wrong thing to do, when in fact I thought I was helping you out. We are also sorry that you question our integrity in this matter, and think that we were somehow trying to mislead you when in fact just trying to do you a favour as you had explained to me that you were a weary traveller on a budget and were grateful for just finding suitable accommodation.
We can only apologise for the late night awakening. We strive to ensure that everyone entering the premises late at night does so quietly, but unfortunately there is only so much control we have over this.
We do hope if you're ever back in Ireland that you will visit us again, and if can give us some notice we will ensure we have the correct rooms which you require. Regards Patrick
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

I just recently held my 30th birthday here everything was second to none! Great food service and presentation nothing was to much to ask of any of the staff! It was my first encounter of dining in golf links one thing for sure I most definitely will be back!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank catattack0
golflinks, General Manager at Golf Links House, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Many thanks for you great review of your experience with us. We love to hear great feedback and i will pass it on to all the staff. We look forward to your next visit. Many thanks.
Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

my husband and I stayed in the golf links house in Newcastle at the last weekend of September. we did not get down to 5 oclock that Saturday. I went up to the room and it was modern and warm. we got a meal about 7 it was lovely. the only downside was you have to leave early the next morning.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 89katie
golflinks, Manager at Golf Links House, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Many thanks for reviewing your recent stay with us, and our glad you enjoyed it. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
The Green Green Grass Of Home
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Went to the Golf links with my husband and two year old daughter for a late Sunday lunch. Haven't been in here for a long time and have to say I was very impressed by the decor and received a warm welcome on arrival by a gentleman who brought us to our table.
the same man brought us menus and also brought colouring stuff to entertain our daughter which is always good. A waiter came and very quickly took our order, he was very pleasant but didn't write anything down. As soon as he left the table, me husband said "he will forget something" and unfortunately, he was right....
We had a longer than normal wait for my husband to get his starter which was forgivable as there seemed to be a party/function of some sort in the other room but even at that, he only ordered soup and so it wouldn't have required much preparation. The waiter that took our order actually returned to the table to check if he had got his starter before yhen going to get it. When he returned he apologised and said that he had left it for someone else to do but that they had gone "absent without leave". The potato & leek bread and the weaten bread was beautiful.
Quite quickly after the starter dishes were cleared our main courses were served, all apart from our daughters meal which seemed to have been completely forgot about. We started to eat ours but it soon became clear that hers wasn't coming so I left the table and approached a waitress to ask. She apologised, asked what we had ordered and said that it would be out in a few minutes.
Her meal came but she wasn't given any cutlery but as my husband was nearly finished his meal at this stage he was able to feed her with his fork.
When my husband went to pay, the kids meal and 1 glass of diluted juice weren't charged for which was a nice gesture but at the end of the day we would much rather have paid for it and got it either with the stater or our main courses.
Found it quite strange that the chips were pre-saltedbefore they were served. This wssn't a problem for us as we both take salt but I can't imagine that it would be to everyones taste.
All in all, we had a lovely meal and will definately back but I would say that this place on this occasion wad let down by lack of communication/speed and ehen uou are sitting with a toddler, there is only so long that uou can wait without feeling on edge about them kicking up a stink!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Country_Girl84
golflinks, Manager at Golf Links House, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
HI, Firstly can I thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience with us. We value all our feedback and we will certainly pass it to the appropriate staff members and hope to build on it. We are glad you enjoyed your food and can only apologise for the inconsistent service. You are correct in saying that we did have another large party in at the same time as yourselves but again this is no excuse. Having small kids myself i know it can be hard to keep them occupied at times and apologise for the wait and lack of cutlery. With regards to seasoning the chunky chips, this is something we have done for a long time now without comment, but will certainly be asking more of diners if its not to their liking, so thank you for bringing it to our attention. it was nice of you to say that even though the service was not up to our usually high standard, that you will return, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future, and showing you that your visit was the exception rather than the rule. Many thanks again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Donard Hotel
Slieve Donard Resort and Spa
Cherryhill Lodge
Cherryhill Lodge
#1 of 19 in Newcastle

Been to Golf Links House? Share your experiences!