“Bad service and accommodation”
Review of Golf Links House

Golf Links House
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newcastle
Golf Links House
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We arrived to find the room had not been cleaned from the previous couple staying there. We found toenails and hair in the bed sheets. We awoke next morning after a rough nights sleep to find the shower did not work. Upon checkout we complained and were told there was nothing she could do and refused to take any money off the bill, and was rather rude. Not even an apology. Told us we should have popped into the room next door and asked to use their shower. Ridiculous. We were in a rush back to belfast to go to work, so did not have time to shower and the service was simply not up to standard. Only stayed as a last resort and would not be back.

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Rachel M
golflinks, Owner at Golf Links House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I'm sorry you didn't completely enjoy your experience. We clean all our rooms to quite a high standard and to say it had not been cleaned from the previous guests would be unacceptable. If the room was not to your satisfaction on check-in you should have made us aware of this, as I find it hard to believe you would have slept in the bed if it was so dirty? With regards to the shower once again if you had made us aware of the problem we could have had a member of the maintenance team have a look at it? We most certainly would not have asked you have use a neighbouring bathroom. Thanks again.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Overall I would stay again some points to be considered,The bedding was spotless and the bed comfortable the dog barking disturbed my sleep late at night ,Food at dinner in the rest was good and so was the service [Male server] Breakfast poor and as for the female who served it she needs to be taught how to speak to guests I was addressed to whoever was in the kitchen as SHE WANTS this is northern Ireland she is working in.Amother concern was this same girl was cleaning the bedrooms in the same cloths she served breakfast in a real health concern working in bathrooms and serving food No.

Room Tip: View before deciding
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jennifer S

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay overall and will address those points which you raised, many thanks again

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed here for our third time, as before it was great. We were quickly checked in by Patrick, very friendly. Room was lovely, very clean. En suite was spotless,lovely fresh white towels. They now have a lift installed,even better for those who are not great with stairs. Lovely bar were we had a few drinks before we had our tea in the restaurant, food great and plenty to choose from. Staff all very friendly,breakfast next morning was just as nice,served up by Eileen. Lovely lady, she likes a good chat. Only thing I could say on a negative point was that we stayed in Room 14 and the tv was a bit too small for the room. Will def go back again.

Room Tip: At the minute they are building a house at the back, so it was abit noisy with builders early in mor...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jenniferkennedy

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are very pleased you enjoyed and will take on board the point about the tv. Ps the work at the back is all finished now and normal service is resumed. Thanks again.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I had a private function here today. Everything was well organised and went well. We had a meal which was very tasty and hot! Staff were very efficient and well organised and nothing was any bother. Thanks to Patrick and all the staff for a great experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JustJoanGirl24

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent visit with us. Thanks for such a glowing review and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a friend's wedding nearby and were delighted with our choice. On arrival we were met by the owner who gave us a warm welcome and instructed the manager to show us two rooms and give us the choice. We therefore chose a bigger room than we booked, which was much appreciated given we were getting ready for the wedding the next day. I must say all of the staff genuinely can't do enough for you. The room was good but a few little things could have made it great - a more powerful shower mainly. We didn't dine in the restaurant but it looked popular enough, though we did have breakfast such was wonderful, again with superb service. All in all it's great service and great value for money - I'd definitely stay again. Ed

• Stayed: December 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are so glad you enjoyed it and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Very clean and comfortable rooms. Phenomenal service from one individual...middle-aged man who worked the restaurant and helped at the front desk check in. We can't remember his name - sorry :(

Food was excellent! Best spare ribs I've had in a LONG time. Customer service was impeccable from restaurant staff. Not so much with one older lady behind the counter...see below.

Negative issue: Were told on the phone that they could not give us 1 room for a family of 4 due to the fact that they did not do "roll away" beds. Upon check in, lo and behold, there was a roll away bed right outside the door of one of the 2 rooms we had to rent. When I brought this up to Eileen at checkout, she just shrugged and said "oh...okay". No explanation or offer of a discount...just "oh...okay". Hmmm. Integrity is still pretty important in my book.

Negative issue 2: Loud, party crowd showed up at 0300 and woke up the entire hallway. Three rooms worth just in our families. Not cool.

Will probably find somewhere else on next stop or just swing by for spare ribs and keep going.

Room Tip: Need to ensure sleep and quiet stay...may want to try somewhere else.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank f15blade
golflinks, Owner at Golf Links House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent experience with us. It's good to hear that you enjoyed you experience overall but if i may address a couple of the negative issues.
I personally spoke to you at the time of booking, which was the morning of your arrival, and with such a large group I thought I had done my best to accommodate everyone. You had asked me about a 'camp bed' on the phone I explained that the only rooms we had available would not accommodate and and extra bed, at which point i offered you an extra room at no extra charge? I'm sorry if you feel this was the wrong thing to do, when in fact I thought I was helping you out. We are also sorry that you question our integrity in this matter, and think that we were somehow trying to mislead you when in fact just trying to do you a favour as you had explained to me that you were a weary traveller on a budget and were grateful for just finding suitable accommodation.
We can only apologise for the late night awakening. We strive to ensure that everyone entering the premises late at night does so quietly, but unfortunately there is only so much control we have over this.
We do hope if you're ever back in Ireland that you will visit us again, and if can give us some notice we will ensure we have the correct rooms which you require. Regards Patrick

Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

I just recently held my 30th birthday here everything was second to none! Great food service and presentation nothing was to much to ask of any of the staff! It was my first encounter of dining in golf links one thing for sure I most definitely will be back!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank catattack0
golflinks, General Manager at Golf Links House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Many thanks for you great review of your experience with us. We love to hear great feedback and i will pass it on to all the staff. We look forward to your next visit. Many thanks.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Donard Hotel
Slieve Donard Resort and Spa
The Haven Newcastle
The Haven Newcastle
#8 of 18 in Newcastle

Been to Golf Links House? Share your experiences!