“Wonderful location. Very clean and comfortable.”
Review of Tory Bush Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newcastle
Tory Bush Cottages
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Wonderful location. Very clean and comfortable.”
Reviewed 23 June 2012

We had a week in NI during May/June half term. Cottages were fantastic and a great location for accessing the Mourne Mountains. Despite the mixed weather we had a great week. It is possible to walk a short way down the road and then into the top of Tollymore Forest Park, which is a lovely place to visit, especially along the path down by the stream.
The cottage we stayed in slept 5 and had a cot. As there were just 4 of us, it meant my brother and I were able to have separate rooms (3 bedrooms). Each bedroom upstairs had a sink, plus the downstairs room had an en suite with a shower. Kitchen was well-stocked with equipment and cutlery etc. At the back it opened up onto a small garden, for that property alone with a picnic bench, so for the better weather you could have eaten outside. (We did spend quite a few evenings with friends in Warrenpoint so it wasn't all down to the poor weather that we didn't eat out here).

Overall a very enjoyable experience. Would like to come back to climb some more of the mountains. Only made it up 5 this time!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Basilio_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Newtownards, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Myself and my wife have spent many weekend breaks and longer breaks now at Tory Bush. The area is beautiful, really close to Tollymore forest as well as plenty of good Mountain tracks with Slieve Meelmore, Slieve Bearagh and slieve Meelbeg all within good walking distance.

There is always something happening around Tory Bush, plenty of friendly animals to visit, its truly a home from home for us.

I've noticed some negative reviews, mainly concerning the owners rules of not allowing visitors. The owner is a really friendly and lovely guy and this rule is there for a reason, Tory Bush is not a hostel and having a rule about no visitors means that the place will remain lovely and tranquil.

Love it and will be back many more times.

Room Tip: Ecoloft is great for a quick getaway
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2012

My husband and myself have been visiting for approximately 10 years for a once yearly well needed break. The cottages now feel like home from home. The accommodation is always clean and well presented and the views are spectacular. The owner has always been polite in a business like manner, which is what we would expect given that these are self-catering cottages and not a hotel etc. He has clearly treated the cottages and surrounding areas as a labour of love and it has been a joy to see them evolve over the years.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Louise F
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I visited Tory Bush in May, 2011. Since I'd never been to Northern Ireland at all, I was happy to rely upon my friend to find and secure accomodations. There wasn't any real risk in that because at any point if I/we weren't happy we could simply choose to move to another spot as I'd be there for 10-14 days.

Because I'd flown overnight and spent the day in transit, by the time we arrived at Tory Bush I was fast asleep in the car. I remember a gentleman walking up to greet us and I seem to recall an offer of "if you need anything...." as I fairly stumbled into the house and within moments fell back asleep. The next morning I awoke to a view of the sun on the mountain through my patio door and was so very amazed by its beauty I sort of drifted straight outside, barefoot in my pajammas to take it in. After going in for coffee and to dress, I wandered back outside and met (whom I later found out was) the owner of the property, his beautiful dog, his "friend who runs this place" and even a gorgeous cat who actually gave me permission to come into her space! (as a cat lover, I can tell you that doesn't always happen) After apologizing for my complete lack of manners upon arrival and offering assurances I was exhausted and not drunk as a fish, I was welcomed, offered any assistance I might need, and engaged in a lovely but short little introduction to the place. I thought it wonderfully thoughtful that he welcomed me, invited me to find him around the property, then sort of backed off to allow me privacy.

My original plan was to stay at the cottage for maybe 7 or 8 days then spend a few days in Dublin. I found the cottage, the surroundings, the entire place and everything about it so very enchanting we chose to extend our stay to an entire two weeks.

Quick point of explanation: I'm a Grandmom from Philadelphia. My youngest grand child started pre-school last fall and now that the Grands are in school and I took early retirement, I have the opportunity to travel quite a bit and see places and friends I've dreamed of for so long. I so enjoyed my time at Tory Bush I'll be returning in mid-September for another stay. As I'm getting to see different places now, I usually opt for different venues when I return to a city (ie: I've never stayed at the same hotel twice in Las Vegas though I've been there 4 times or taken more than one cruise on each cruise ship) but I never even considered staying anywhere other than Tory Bush for this trip, with the exception of booking one night (before my return flight) in Dublin.

I'm absolutely looking forward to my return to the area, and most of all the chance to spend more time with a great friend in such an awesome little cottage surrounded by such beauty.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Belfast
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We had one of the properties booked for a week in August. The owner made a massive deal about visitors which we felt was a little bit overboard.

We telephoned him to arrange payment and raised this issue with him. He was rude and cheeky during the call. Wonderful customer service! Which resulted in him having a cancelled booking!

His attitude certainly did not bode well for a relaxing time.

• Stayed August 2011
8 Thank Karen M
ToryBushCottages, Owner at Tory Bush Cottages, responded to this review, 28 August 2011
I am sorry if I came across in a rude manner to these people, I certainly did not mean too.

I had agreed a heavily discounted price for a week’s accommodation for this couple, based on two persons, with a supplementary charge for additional guests if there were to be any.

The couple had accepted this at one point, by text, and had agreed to book on these terms and conditions. They never provided their details for payment despite reminders, but two weeks or so before the arrival date phoned to say they were only prepared to pay the discounted price but not the extra for additional guests. I said, 'Let’s cancel the booking and that I am sure you can find cheaper accommodation somewhere else.’ the phone went dead at that point, which may have been accidental as I was on a mobile in a poor reception area.

For full details, including copies of text messages and the agreed booking form please visit my blog by clicking through from the Tory Bush website and check out the newsfromtorybush blog for the 24th August 2011.
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2011

My wife and I stayed at Tory's Bush last year for a walking holiday. We can't fault the location or accommodation as they are both outstanding, but the hotel owner is the most obnoxious, ill-mannered, rude and ignorant person I have ever met.

On our trip my in-laws came to visit us for a picnic down by the sea. Unfortunately the weather wasn't the greatest so we decided to invite them to our apartment where we had a lovely decking area which we thought would've been perfect for the occasion. When my wife's parents arrived, the owner literally ran to their car and preceded to grill them as to why they had dared set foot on the premises. My father-in-law, thinking this was a joke, gave the owner the story about the picnic, the weather etc, whereby the owner refused them access and said they weren't welcome on the premises, that the insurance wouldn't cover them and that they would have to leave.

I confronted the owner of Tory Bush on his behaviour, demeanor and general ignorance in dealing with people, but he was totally oblivious and stood by his approach and drew my attention to the T's & C's for the premises. We had already read them, but naturally assumed that "no visitors" meant extra guests staying over, which was never going to be the case with us anyway.

Needless to say this left a very poor taste in our mouth. Prior to this incident we had spoken with friends and family on the phone and internet singing the praises of the accommodation, the location etc, but once this happened we readily back tracked and made everyone aware of how ill-mannered the owner was, and how we would never recommend the premises. To put things simply, this man should not be dealing with the public. He needs to take a professional course in customer service. He emailed me the next day and offered a refund on the rest of the week, but he never approached me personally, or offered an apology, even though our apartment was directly above the office. Until this unfotunate, but totally avoidable, event, Tory Bush would, not only, have had repeat business from us, but also many friends and family. Needless to say that won't be the case. I just hope people read this review and think twice about going.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Gmay2701
ToryBushCottages, Owner at Tory Bush Cottages, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
This review has been very harmful not just to my business but to me personally, it has taken me the best part of two years to come to terms with it and feel able to write this reply. I operate what many regard as a very good business and should be entitled to run it in a manner that is best for the comfort and safety of guests on site. We take the issue of Child Safety very seriously even to the point of removing potentially dangerous weeds such as Foxglove from within the grounds of the cottages. With the high profile cases of Madeleine McCann, April Jones, and the increase of retrospective reporting of Child abuse, such as in the Savile and other cases we feel we have an extreme duty of care to young children on our site especially during the summer months when there can be as many as 30 children staying here. A teacher of a primary school class of 30 children would not let a stranger arrive in the school playground unchallenged, indeed our insurers, NFU Mutual ask every time upon renewal that our policy on visitors is still in operation.

I concede that I did ask the visitors to this guest what was the purpose of their visit and explain our policy but I did not turn them away and my demeanour was quite professional, I think anyone that knows me or has stayed at Tory Bush would agree that I am not at all confrontational, indeed quite the opposite. For a fuller reply to this review please check out the Tory Bush website blog for December 2013.
Ireland
Reviewed 5 July 2010

I stayed here as part of NI Bootcamp, a weight loss/fitness/outdoor activity week. They provided a link to the cottages on their website and the photos looked spectacular. I wasn't disappointed when I arrived, the cottage we used was really attractive, had a lovely open fire to warm us after a day out and was perfectly peaceful at night. I slept better here than I ever do at home, maybe due to the activities we were doing in the day though! Views are incredible, worthy of going for alone. They really are in the hills too so would be ideal for anyone who likes to get in the outdoors. They were definitely perfect for the bootcamp.

Stayed March 2010, travelled solo