“Excellent stay - again”

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Newcastle
Cologne, Germany
“Excellent stay - again”
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I just return from a golfing holiday in Northern Ireland and stayed - for the second time - at the Briers. Like last year I was overwelmed by the service of Susan and her family, the locacation as well as the atmosphere at the Briers´.

Situated just outside of Newcastle town centre - a short 30 minutes walk --, the Briers is the place to relax after walking Mourne Mountains or a day on the golf course. The breakfast is great and everyone is very helpful to make it a perfect vacation for you. The rooms are spacious and quite comfortable.

What more can I say: I will definitely come back again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rainer J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Suzan & Bryan were such gracious hosts; they complement the great yard and surroundings, provide a quiet environment, and serve superb breakfasts. Extremely comfortable bed and room! The Briers is close enough to central Newcastle and great golf at Royal County Down, yet sufficiently separate to be out of the tourist melee. Great value and experience.

Bill Simmons
Burlington, ON, Canada

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Bill S
Co Antrim
Reviewed 5 August 2011

When we arrived at the Briers and were driving up the laneway we were very impressed with the surroundings. Lovely, well kept gardens and hedges. Lovely entrance, swift check in, but sadly, for us, thats where it started to go wrong.
We were shown to our room by Susan, who was very nice and gave us advice on where to eat and as it was 6pm we were going out for tea. When we came back for the evening around 8pm we soon noticed the house was freezing ( note previous post). We decided to go and avail of the tea and coffee which was available in the lounge area only to find there was no coffee at all and two stale biscuits in a tin. The lounge area was freezing and very untidy.

Our Room
Room no 2 was a large room with a double bed and a sofa bed but as before was freezing. The bed had no top sheet, just the duvet cover and very flat hard pillows. When I got up in the morning my clothes felt damp...In August. I dont think the heating has been on for months. I dropped something and had reason to pull out the sofabed and was shocked to see that it hasnt been out in a long time as it was very dirty behind.

Breakfast was adequate, but the surroundings were not. The carpet in the dining room is filthy, with several large spill stains and fingerprints on all the glass doors.

This is a lovely home in a lovely setting and I feel, with a little more effort could be a superb, luxury bed and breakfast

Would I return.. No, as for £32.50 pp pn I expected a higher standard of warmth and cleanliness.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank travellerknowles
Comber, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We stayed in the Briers and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a home from home for us. The rooms are spacious and very comfy, Myself husband and two boys were really pleased. Suzan and Brian were so welcoming,,we felt we,d known them a lifetime! The gardens surrounding the house are gorgeous, so tranquil, The location of the house is just opposite tullymore forest park, which is an ideal place to tire out two boys!
I honestly could not reccomend this place more. If you are looking for a nice break in beautiful surroundings, thats immaculately clean, friendly and a gutbusting home cooked breakfast, then this is the place for you!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank gillian032
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Having visited the Briers four or five times now, I can truly say - it is superb!
The rooms are spotlessly clean - Suzan keeps everything totally immaculate.
The rooms are modern, well decorated and spacious. There is plenty of car parking space and the surrounding countryside ensures a quiet and peaceful stay.
Brian does an excellent Ulster Fry - try it for breakfast, and it will set you up for the day!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2011

A lovely warm reception from Suzan and Brian. Extensive breakfast menu, food was excellent and brought with a warm smile. We really enjoyed our stay. Rooms were bright, large and very cosy with a great view of the Mourne mountains. The cottage is large and on its on grounds, and is also very private, lots of space to relax in, very quiet and tranquil. Beautiful gardens surrounding cottage. Perfect for a week end away from the big city. This cottage i feel is very special and is a must see!. Five minutes from the town centre. My partner and i hope to be back very soon!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Angleton, Texas
Reviewed 27 May 2011

I was on a photo tour of Ireland with a small group of people and we stayed for 2 nights at this lovely place just outside of Newcastle. It really is located in a picturesque area and my room was lovely. It was clean, it had a desk at which I could use my laptop to work on photos, and I had no quibbles with it at all....except for the heat (or lack thereof). They are a hardy people who live out there, and probably don't require heat as much as those of us not used to the windy, chilly Irish spring. After our first night with no heat, the proprietress was asked to please turn the heat on for us. Eventually, that was done and so my room was a little warmer on the second evening there. This is an issue that should probably be attended to on a regular basis if guests continue to stay there. Oh, and while this place does have free wifi, the 300-year old walls are so thick that the wifi can only be accessed either in a little den adjacent to the reception area, or -as was my case - by plopping your laptop or iPad down on the reception counter in front of the router system. The breakfasts were awesome as was the coffee and tea. Overall, I liked my stay there and would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank RebeccaL2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Donard Hotel
#13 of 18 in Newcastle
Cherryhill Lodge
Cherryhill Lodge
#1 of 18 in Newcastle

Been to Briers Country House? Share your experiences!