Cherryhill Lodge
Hotels.com
US$477
US$447
Agoda.com
All reviewsgarden roomcherry hillsconesgranolamourne mountainsb bfreshly squeezed orange juiceself catering apartmentgreat hostsfantastic breakfasthome madevisiting newcastlewheat breadher husbandlovely housefull irishstunning views
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This B&B was a bit out of the way but a true gem for it's beautiful garden setting and it's superlative host couple and their family. They went out of their way to make us comfortable, and made arrangements for both our dinner and out transportion into town. After a great night's rest, we had a sumptious full Irish Breakfast served by our host. Newcastle is a fine seaside town with interesting shops and some very good restaurants. We would definitely return and stay again at Cherry Hill Lodge.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Patricia M, Owner at Cherryhill Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thanks for your very kind words, it is always nice to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay, and in particular that your enjoyed our home cooked breakfast. It would be a pleasure to have you stay with us if you are ever in Newcastle again.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed here recently to attend a wedding function in Newcastle. In all the places I have stayed including five star hotels, I have never felt more welcome. There was nothing that was too much trouble for Patricia. Her daughter welcomed me (when I arrived about 2 hours late) and showed me to my room which was IMMACULATE! I am extremely fussy and normally have at least something to complain about, mostly cleanliness-related, but my room really couldn't have been more spotless. The bathroom was simply perfect and luxurious. There was even a little tub beside the kettle with freshly baked chocolate orange muffins in it (which, even though I am dieting, I couldn't resist). As I had to get ready for the wedding, I realised I forgot my hair straighteners. Patricias daughter very kindly and without any problem, leant me hers! Patricia then came up to offer me a glass of wine to enjoy while I was getting ready...and came back with a bottle of Shiraz...pure bliss! Not only that, but after getting ready, she drove me into the town to save me getting a taxi. I was asked what I would like for breakfast next morning and I told her I was at Slimming World and had to be good. Well, not only did she GRILL my breakfast but made me a gorgeous fruit salad with low-fat yogurt to start. Couldn't resist a slice of her home made wheaten bread and jam though! The breakfast room was beautiful with a fabulous view of the amazing garden and the stove was lit which made it even more homely. The interior design was beautifully simple and complementary to its surrondings and so spacious and airy. As I arrived at night, I wasn't able to see the garden view from the guest sitting room until the next day and wow, was it beautiful!
I could not recommend Cherryhill Lodge enough, especially since I appeared to be the winner (of all my friends who stayed in Newcastle) when it came to picking a guest house/hotel for the night! If only I was a secret travel writer for the Times travel section, Patricia and her husband would be thrown in to world-wide recognition for a spectacular first-class service in a beautiful house in amazing surroundings. Thank you so much for a perfect stay. Hopefully next time I will have company!!

Room Tip: I had the Front Room which was beautiful, but the Garden Room has a better view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Patricia M, Owner at Cherryhill Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Thanks so much for this terrific response Angela. Its nice to hear how much you enjoyed your breakfast and your overall stay. We really look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Reviewed 2 November 2013

The Cherry Hill Lodge is a B&B with self catering also available. My wife and our 3 children stayed in the Loft self catering studio apartment.

On arrival we were greeted by the warm friendly face of the owner called Patricia who showed us round and gave us beautiful homemade scones, jam and fresh bread.

The first thing we noticed was the beautiful setting on the back drop of the mourne mountains and donard park.

The boys had an absolute blast in the massive garden safely enclosed at the rear of the property. They enjoyed football, rugby and playing tennis in the courts also located in the back garden.

The location was excellent. 5 minutes from newcastle town centre by car and Tollymore forest park just 2 minutes up the road.

This place is perfect for a relaxin fun filled break for all the family and would also be perfect for keen hikers and cyclists.

I could not recommend the Cherry Hill Lodge and the hospitality of the family that own it highly enough. We will definitely be back :-)

• Stayed: October 2013
Patricia M, Owner at Cherryhill Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Glenn it was a delight having your family stay in The Loft and great that your boys enjoyed our back garden. We look forward to welcoming you back to Cherryhill Lodge in the future

Reviewed 30 September 2013

The Garden Room.
Soft Bed.
Superb view.
The most gracious hosts we encountered on our trip.
Be advised that the location is further up the road than our GPS advised us, but the name and street number is well marked,

And I have nothing else to add but Trip Advisor sez my reviews must be at least 200 characters so I am just biding my time until I reach that number. This is not an easy thing to do nd I have to add that after a three week trip to beautiful Ireland I have a lot of reviews to publish so forgive me for this short cut.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bribear

We are glad you felt like home at Cherryhill Lodge and happy that you enjoyed your stay with us at Cherryhill Lodge. Thanks for the review.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

My partner and I stayed at Cherryhill Lodge for a weekend while in Newcastle for a wedding. Everything about our stay here was wonderful, a pretty room with a comfortable bed and beautiful views of the garden and the mountain. The breakfasts were delicious and the house was often filled with the tantalising smells of homemade scones and bread. Our hosts were charming and nothing was too much to ask of them. We'd love to return one day.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Patricia M, Owner at Cherryhill Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thanks Peta for taking the time to write this review. Really glad you enjoyed your stay, and our homemade breakfast. Would love to see you back at Cherryhill Lodge some day!