“Cosy home from home for exploring Northern Ireland”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Front of cottage
My Bonnie chillaxing in the sun
Front bedroom
Bathroom
Full Bath with overhead electric shower
Private back garden
Patio area
View from back garden across the bay
View from front garden towards Newcastle
View of shore at back of harbour
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Any
holly_day...
“Cosy home from home for exploring Northern Ireland”
Reviewed 1 November 2017 for a stay in October 2017

We had a fantastic 2 nights in Anne’s cottage. The kitchen is well equipped, the cottage is cosy, beds are comfortable. We were very happy there and wished we could have stayed longer. Anne kindly let us and settled us in. She was so helpful and friendly, and there was lots of tourist info at the cottage to research how to spend our time.

There are fantastic walks nearby and plenty to explore along the coast and inland. The town is well served with local shops and cafes. We found a great restaurant in Ballynahinch called The Bull and Ram which served excellent local produce.

I’m hoping we can come and stay again soon. Thank you anne!

20 Nov 2017
Clare thank you so much for your great review. Please do come and stay again anytime, it was a pleasure to welcome you all to Widow's Row.
Kindest Regards. Anne
Angela H
“Wonderful getaway”
Reviewed 16 August 2017 for a stay in August 2017

Just back from a fabulous stay in 'Widow's Cottage' with my husband, two kids and dog. First class accommodation, in idyllic surroundings. The cottage is furnished to a very high standard with all mod cons. Anne is an exceptional host who made us feel very welcome in the cottage and attended to our every need. We will definitely return to make more memories in Lovely Newcastle.

21 Aug 2017
Thanks Angela for your great review and the comment you left in my visitors book. It was just lovely. Delighted you enjoyed your stay at the cottage and please come back anytime. Regards to the gang and give Cody a hug from me.
Hazel E
“Mrs ”
Reviewed 2 August 2017 for a stay in July 2017

Central, fantastic sea views, mountains at rear. QUAINT reminding you of your grannies but with all mod cons. Cleanliness outstanding. Anne so helpful & kind. Booked our next trip before we even left this trip. Totally recommend.

5 Aug 2017
Thanks Hazel for taking the time to leave your lovely review. It was a pleasure having such a happy family to stay, including little Daisy. I will indeed see you next year, thanks for deciding to come back even before you had left !! And as I said, if Mum and Dad want to come back on their own you know I will look after them for you. Take care and regards to the gang.
dereky4
Portadown, United Kingdom
“Mr”
Reviewed 28 July 2017 for a stay in July 2017
people found this review helpful

Booked this cottage for six nights from 4th July to Monday 10th July for my wife, 19 year old son and 12 year old daughter. My son and and I arrived first on the 4th July as my wife was working and was coming up later in the week.First impression was a lovely wee cottage with mourns to rear and lovely sea view at front. We were met by owner who showed us around and I ask I few questions as you do about dish washer,washing machine TVs boxes etc then the owner told us to watch out for the light fittings in living room and kitchen as they hang rather low, a bit of a concern as me and my son are both 6,3 ..she was sharp at me at me asking a few questions about the running of the cottage keeping referring to a manual stating everything you needed to know was in it ,I said no problem she then left ..My wife and younger daughter joined us later in week and had a good time out of the house but not relax in and around the house one of the reasons being neighbours watching every move and asking questions .The first night I was there also a dog cried and barked from approx three in the morning till dinner time next day ..Also in the mornings it stood at bedroom window barking giving us a rude awakening ..On the Sunday morning my son was cooking breakfast and turned and hit his head subsequently breaking the light in kitchen which was a hazard in the first place ..I tried ringing the owner later in day to explain that this had happened but could not get her ..Next morning we got up cleaned house and prepared for leaving ..My son and cleaned house as best we could as wife left night before as she was working ..I also cleaned and hoovered house each and every day during our stay as to make it easier on last day ..Any way owner arrived at 11 and as I tried to explain that we had a accident with light in kitchen she refused to give me time to speak saying that we where warned on arrival and that this would cost approx 30 pounds ,stating that this had happened before ..As I tried to explain she kept talking me down so I decided best to leave house as quickly as I could ..On arrival home I explained to my wife what had happened and she immediately rang the owner to be told from day one she didn't like my husband as upon arrival he asked too many questions, ( re:cooker etc), he was told the light was broke previously an made aware of it, the bedsheets were full of sand, our bed had make up stains on it, the fairy liquid had been diluted, cleaning products were used an he was the worst occupant that had ever vacated the premises. Obviously cleaning products were used as everyone cleaned up after them!!To me I was shocked as a caretaker he was immaculate in all areas of his work, has a great reputation an is highly thought of an respected in his hometown. To bring closure to this nightmare of a holiday I wouldn't recommend this place to a family with children or elderly people as the back garden is all steps, the neighbours are unfriendly an when I rang about the dog barking the owner said that wasn't her/his problem. My son carried stones an little pieces of granite home from his daily walks which was noted an I was made aware of an told this was forbidden. To make a long story short due to the light breakage in the kitchen an making the owner aware of these issues the owner seemed to twist an add things endlessly to make myself & family to be troublesome.

19 Aug 2017
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review Mr Taylor. I’m disappointed you didn’t enjoy holiday. In fact if things were so bad at the cottage I’m bewildered you managed to last the 6 days and didn’t leave earlier. I must point out that your complaints only materialised after you were told you would have to pay for the broken light shade. In response to Mr Taylor’s review, let me address his comments.

I did indeed meet Mr Taylor, his son and his two dogs, as I meet and greet all my guests I showed him around and explained how everything worked and where everything was. Each of my guests is treated with the same respect however Mr Taylor insinuated I was sharp with him, that’s his opinion and he is entitled to it. I spent at least an hour talking to him, he in fact followed me up to my car and we continued chatting, something you would hardly do if someone was being sharp with you? When I was driving away he had approached and was speaking with one of my neighbours.

On arrival guests are told there is a dog next door. In seven years not one guest has even mentioned the dog, let alone complained about it. If the dog was truly causing annoyance the solution would have been for Mr Taylor to speak directly with the owner of the dog.

Widows Row Cottage is a listed period property. Older properties were built before the days of standard ceiling height requirements, which today is 2.4 metres, (7.8 feet). The ceiling height in the kitchen and sitting room is 2.25 metres,(7.4 feet). The light shades in the kitchen and sitting room have a clearance of 1.9 metre, (6.2 feet). I would not describe the rear garden as “all steps”, I think this is evident from the photo’s. I am happy to answer any queries guests may have before they book the property. Incidently Mr Taylor and his family had the benefit of viewing the cottage the previous year before making his booking this year. So he was aware of the ceiling heights and subsequently the light fittings. The broken light shade has now been replaced with an acrylic shade which is unbreakable.

I was only informed of the light shade breakage the morning I arrived at 11AM to get the cottage ready for my next guest who were arriving that afternoon. Mr Taylor did not try to contact me before this, there were no missed calls on my phone, no messages left, no emails sent and failing all that he also had my home phone number which he could have called, but didn’t either. This left me and my new guests inconvenienced. This is why I ask guests to let me know if there are any breakages during their stay so these can be rectified before my new guests arrive.

Accidents do happen sometimes and that is not a problem. Accepting responsibility should not be a problem either. When Mr Taylor signed the booking contract he “agreed to leave the property as found, in a clean & tidy condition and be responsible for any & all damages/breakages howsoever caused.” Mr Taylor became unreasonable, argumentative and aggressive when I mentioned how much it would be to replace the broken light shade. I have never been spoken to in such a manner in my life. As for “talking you down”, as he put it, Mr Taylor was in such a temper that he stormed out of the cottage before I could finish speaking with him.

Mrs Taylor phoned me a few hours after her husband left, to find out exactly what had taken place. She had been misinformed and told I was keeping the full breakages deposit of £100, which was incorrect. I told her that her husband was unreasonable not that I didn’t like him. Mrs Taylor also told me she only stayed for one night and had no issues at all with the cottage, inside or out and in fact described it as “a wee gem”. By then I had discovered the state of the bedding in the back bedroom, where Mr Taylor’s son was sleeping and was able to tell Mrs Taylor that the bed itself was full of dirt, the duvet cover, sheet and pillowcases were covered in yellowish brown stains. We had a long chat. She phoned a couple of days later to apologise for her husband’s behaviour towards me and informed me that the stains on the bedding were in fact peanut butter. I told her that if she, or her husband wanted to see the stains I was more than happy to send photos. No one wanted to see the photos. I spent a considerable amount of time and effort to remove the stains from the bedding, (several pre-treatments and washes). If I had not been successful Mr Taylor would have been looking at the cost of new bedding being added to his breakages.

I leave a considerable amount of kitchen and bathroom products in the cottage for guests. My guests are delighted to find these essentials. I don’t appreciate misuse of these products. I would be horrified if my next guests were to find watered down products and in fact think that I left them!

I have wonderful neighbours, it’s ludicrous to think they watch people's every move. They are not intrusive in any way and my guests always comment how helpful and friendly they are. Mr Taylor said they were unfriendly then goes on to say they were asking questions, but he doesn’t elaborate. This has left me pondering exactly what he means. I object to Mr Taylor’s derogatory comments about my neighbours.

After Mr Taylor and his family left there were a number of large rocks and very long tree branches discarded at the property. My neighbours only told me about the rocks and branches when I asked where they had come from and of course they are going to tell me. These large branches were carelessly discarded. They were thrown on the bank that runs in front of the cottages, in front of the neighbours properties. These would have posed a hazard if they had rolled down onto the road. Thankfully my neighbours removed these items for me. Large stones still remain in the back garden as I am unable to lift them. I must say I am surprised as apparently Mr Taylor, who is a caretaker and by his own admission, is immaculate in all areas of his work. Seemingly this is not the case when he is on holiday and in someone else’s property as he didn’t particularly take much care of mine. Ironic, isn’t it?
Brambles1...
“Beautiful cottage, had a lovely weekend! ”
Reviewed 16 July 2017 for a stay in June 2017

We booked Anne's cottage in Widow's Row for the weekend as a present for my mum for her 70th. Anne was extremely friendly and helpful, initially with ensuring that our booking was confirmed and then with our show around on arrival - and coming promptly to let us in when we managed to lock ourselves out at one point.

The cottage was absolutely gorgeous and quaint, had gorgeous views, was so homely and comfortable. There was everything that you could need in it with lots of wee touches thought of, from fully equipped kitchen, board games and dvds, child gate / cot and even a fan in the bedroom.

We really do hope to get back here to stay sometime soon as we had a really great time. Definitely recommended with no negatives to speak of. Thanks very much Anne!

18 Jul 2017
Niamh, Thank you for such a lovely review from a lovely family. I'm so pleased you all enjoyed your stay at the cottage and I would love to welcome you back at anytime. Regards to the gang!
lisa c
“Exceptional in every way- accomodation, views and host!”
Reviewed 7 July 2017 for a stay in June 2017

Warm welcome and introduction to cottage by Anne. Great location in Newcastle, walking distance to shops, restaurants and pubs. Clean, bright well appointed quiet cottage- Anne has thought of everything one needs on vacation.Phenomenal outdoor areas front and back with sea views. Planning another stay next year!

9 Jul 2017
Thank you so much for such a great review. It was a pleasure having you all to stay. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay at the cottage. I hope you get such good weather again when you come back in June next year. Look forward to seeing you again. Take care Lisa and Killian.
Departure...
“Beautiful cottage, comfortable in great location and dog friendly.”
Reviewed 19 June 2017 for a stay in June 2017

The sea to your front and the mountains of mourne behind , the highest peak in Northern Ireland slieve Donnard to be precise. There is a small harbour along the road and a RYA club there. Easy access to Newcastle and its many restaurants and ice cream shops.
Great poney trekking at mount pleasant around the castlewellan forest park, or if your more adventurous a fast hack on fit horses with an experienced group.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
20 Jun 2017
Thanks Tony for taking the time to leave your review of Newcastle.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing