“Nicely Located!”
Review of Meelmore Lodge

Meelmore Lodge
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

I've been coming here for years. Whether it's hiking, rock-climbing or mountain-biking; it's the ideal spot. I've stayed here solo and in a group and it works perfect for the Mournes. Ruth and June are lovely to talk to and very accommodating. And the morning view of Hares Gap is a good way to start your day.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I've stayed at Meelmore several times now, both hiring a room in the hostel / B&B and also camping in a tent. I think I will review both as separate entities as they are quite different!

I hired a room on two occasions with my other half (on both occasions getting the same room). The room was exceptionally clean and warm, with the spacious double bed very comfortable for both of us. The room was also a good size (with spare bunk beds if you were in a larger group). The en-suite shower room was small, but again very clean with everything working well (a hot shower for each of us in the morning was most welcome!). The TV didn't work (on both occasions), but that didn't bother us as we weren't really going to watch it, I had planned to put it on for background noise while we got changed. The Kitchen was also spacious and well equipped, should you be self-catering I don't think you could ask for much more and the wood burning stove in the lounge a lovely touch! The owners happy for us to use.

On the two occasions I have camped there, the experience has been slightly less satisfactory. I would add a caveat that maybe this is because I had stayed in the hostel / B&B prior to camping so I had high standards. I found the ground to be quite stoney, so the tent pegs were having to be moved to find ground they could sink into easily. I think the biggest disappointment was the showers in the morning. One was broken and the other was a mere dribble. I took my time and managed to have a shower, but this did take a good 20 minutes. The shower block was quite dirty, but the campsite was very busy when I was there and it could have been due to heavy use, rather than a lack of cleanliness. There were both young and older groups camping, and the noise level was quite high to the early hours of the morning. Interestingly, this was the case when I stayed in the B&B / hostel on one occasion, but with the windows shut in the rooms you can hear nothing....obviously a different case when you are camping.

The site is set spectacularly beneath Slieve Meelmore and the views are breathtaking. But at the same time you are quite close to Newcastle.

There is a cafe on site that is open in the mornings, the staff are all exceptionally friendly.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MoorsoP
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed here for a night last weekend. Despite the heavy rain and it being a Sunday night I was surprised to see so many other campers. I found the toilets and shower rooms to be clean enough. Its a great location to start hiking from. A major plus for me is that camp fires are allowed. Not sure if I would recommend for families as there were a few groups drinking and being loud - one actually starting fighting. I thought £4 car parking charge was a bit excessive.

Good points balance out the bad but I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stephen m
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Stay here every year with my wife and young daughter.
Amazing location peaceful with amenities toilets showers and café.
Only downside is the cleanliness it needs a good deep clean.
Staff very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank David M
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Camped here last night. great location especially because you can do great hikes directly from the campsite. it was very busy, probably because of fine weather and summer solstice, therefore toilets & showers needed attention early in the morning. Plenty of hot water. I would definitely return to this campsite.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Muireann80
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

I would visit meelmore lodge quite alot with my young family... and I would highly recommend this location for camping... for being in the middle of nowhere. it really has everything you could possibly want. cafe, shop, showers/toilets. Plus 10min drive would take you into Newcastle...... brilliant for walking in the mournes !! Will definitely be back this summer at some stage !

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Ricky M
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Camped here twice last yr with my husband and 2 children.. I loved the location, was hard to find but once we found it the views of the mournes were spectacular . It's a quiet camp site which I really liked as we had kids with us. And has toilet and shower facilities . Will def be back this yr .

• Stayed: July 2013