“good value”

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Derry
Lurgan, United Kingdom
“good value”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

bought a groupon for £79 for two for bed and breakfast with evening meal. stayed in a twin room which was clean but basic would benefit from an update but then the price would be updated aswell the restaurant was modern and stylish and the food was very good the snug bar for residents was cosy and very welcoming as where all the staff. this hotel I think would be very good for disabled people as it was all on the one level

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank skanker7

Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
lancashire
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed for two nights, and was very pleased with the friendly service, the quality of the meals (which were very reasonably-priced), and the comfort of the bedroom.
However, there was an extremely loud buzzing noise emanating from the open-plan kitchen area, which really spoiled the dining experience.
Given the layout of the bar, with the central silvery overhead glass racks, I felt that I could have been in a spaceship.
Strangely, when I asked members of staff about the intrusive background noise, they seemed surprised to hear about it, as if they hadn't noticed it....
I think that this is a health and safety issue for the staff.

Stayed February 2014

Letterkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I booked one of the newly furbished rooms but the room was old-fashioned and the ceiling and grout in the bathroom was brown. Bed was very uncomfortable. Main course was lovely.Won't be staying again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mcbridan

County Fermanagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Hadn't stayed here before and upon pulling in I have to admit I did think "oh no!" But I was pleasantly surprised when I stepped into the reception area. Don't be fooled by the exterior. The girl on reception was friendly and gave us our room key telling us we had one of the nice rooms and directed us down a corridor to the left of reception. The room was clean as was the bathroom and very warm and cosy. Having worked in the Hospitality Industry for years in both housekeeping and bars/restaurants in 4* hotels it's force of habit to look out for faults and I have to say I couldn't fault the cleanliness and decor of our room. We put our bags in and went straight to the snug bar. The guy serving when we first got there was obviously from the wine bar, he wasn't overly pleasant or friendly nor was the second bar man. He looked like he just didn't want to be there! This is a job I done for years and I know how important first impressions are in hotel staff and so far I didn't see them as very friendly! The third barman who appeared a short wile later and was obviously just starting his shift was so pleasant and couldn't do enough for us, explaining how the wifi wrked, offering to get us the code from reception, friendly toward other staff just a generally pleasant guy. We had planned on goin into town for food and drinks the Friday night but we loved the snug bar and the wine bar menu looked lovely so we ate there instead. The food here can only be described as AMAZING!! We both had the rack of ribs with sides and the chefs platter for desert and I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I had such a nice meal out! The wine bar is beautiful the lay out, the bar the atmosphere everything about it is fantastic I would highly recommend it.
We were told about the complimentary taxi service into town on the Friday night and decided to use it Saturday. We wernt told by reception how it worked and we assumed the taxi had an agreement with the hotel but we weren't aware reception should have gave us a voucher when they rang us the taxi so we ended up having to pay for it ourselves but it was only £4! We ate in the wine bar again on the Saturday night and we were not disappointed as once again the food atmosphere and service was first class. There was a singer in the snug when we finished our meal so that was our night sorted!
My one fault I did find was the wifi service, it's awful! It kept disconnecting constantly. The Friday night I had to ring down reception for a new code, the girl was so friendly and offered to read the code out save me goin to reception. It happened again the Saturday night but this receptionist, who came across as very abrupt and sharp of herself said if I wanted a code come to reception! She seemed to be in a managerial role judging by how she came across and dressed but she certainly didn't come across very welcoming.
Overall my stay was enjoyable and I would definitely go again, my main criticism would be the rooms get like a sauna at times in the night and being on ground floor I didn't feel comfortable sleeping with windows opened! We really enjoyed and will recommend to others and hopefully he back soon ourselves!

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank donna19x

Derry
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Have been a couple of times now for lunch, great value for money, always get the special of the day, u have choice of two meals with a side for £5, staff r always very friendly and helpful, will defs b back soon.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Hothead41

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This is where I always stay in Derry City. Excellent food, excellent staff and excellent edge-of-town location. Art deco style bar/restaurant. My only complaint on this occasion was that the bed was rather too hard for my liking.

Room Tip: Check the beds first!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Itinerant2014

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

Our room was on the ground floor just up from reception. We booked the hotel as it was slightly cheaper than the tower and city hotels.
The carpet in our room was the same rough, cheap, budget carpet you might find in a school. The bed sheets were bally and rough. The bathroom was very dated and cheap looking. Our view was onto a litter strewn path and a bush.
We really should have known given the state if our room, not to, but we ordered room service (at a cost of £5 each) in the morning, as we had payed for breakfast already. We were delivered cold weak tea and coffee, warm yogurts and juice, soggy toast wrapped in napkins (toast rack?) and the most disgusting cooked breakfast I have ever seen.
I would advise any one considering booking this hotel to avoid at all costs, I couldn't wait to get home to my own bed for a bit of luxury!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple