“The Dark spot on our Vaction”
Review of Waterfoot Hotel

Waterfoot Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This was horrible. Dreadful. I can't even believe the pictures they have posted and have no idea where they got those. First off--The postcode took us to a location about a mile away and on a different street. Secondly the receptionist (blonde) was short and cold--not at all the friendly hospitality we were used to on this trip. The wifi was not working except in the lobby. The receptionist was very rude about it and didn't apologise for the inconvenience. I'm pretty sure we were the only ones staying at the hotel that night. No other cars in the parking lot at 10pm or at 7am in the morning. The place is run down, dirty, and drabby. We stayed in a family room which was large but run down....and SO HOT. we had the window open and it was cold outside but it was insanely hot. We asked for a fan. We would have left had it not been 10pm and we had 2 cranky kids. And to top it off the beds were bad....the springs were digging into my ribs. The next day the second receptionist was much nicer. She apologised for the wifi and said it was down. When I pressed about the fact we book based on wifi availability, she said "I know ppl are always upset when they find out it isn't working".... Seems like its never working?! She also apologised for the heat and said the family rooms are really hot bc theres a boiler or something outside of them..... well, HELLO?! why not offer to switch our room when we complained about it the night before?! It definitely wasn't full. It was horrible. I wouldn't recommend anyone stay there. I have the mentality that if it's clean, comfortable, and friendly that's all that really matters--this failed on all accounts. Perhaps they're good for weddings but I wouldnt want my wedding with rude ppl in a run down hotel. ugh. It's been 3 or 4 weeks since we've been there and I'm still angry about it. I cannot stress enough how bad it is...... DONT DO IT. I would give it zero stars if I could.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Heather B
Andrew L, Manager at Waterfoot Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2015

There are newer reviews for Waterfoot Hotel

Reviewed 27 June 2014

This hotel was very disappointing. Our room was quite dated, dirty, and uncomfortable. The bathroom was dirty with a huge gap between the floor and tub. The lights and TV didn't work, but it turned out the TV was disconnected and the lights weren't plugged in. Perhaps this wasn't a room used often? Also, the window was cracked. The carpet was very old and didn't feel clean. The WIFI didn't work in the room at all, and worked barely in the lobby. Breakfasts were minimal - awful scrambled eggs, bacon, plain toast, oatmeal; however, dinners were fantastic.

Room Tip: Do not accept an unrenovated room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JemezFalls

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed for 4 nights on business trip. This hotel is in the budget range for price which is reflected in the slightly dated worn look to the bedrooms and bathrooms however they were spacious, well equipped and clean. Internet access was free which is always a blessing and I had no trouble accessing this. My room was very warm and unfortunately I had to sleep with the window closed because of the traffic noise from the dual carriageway directly behind my room. The only other criticism of the bedroom was the lighting, particularly the bedside lighting, which although somewhat stylish looking made seeing to read at night nearly impossible unless you lean right over to read your book under the downcast of light that came from the bottom of the very tall, narrow, purple shades.

There was tea and coffee facilities, but no water. There was an iron and ironing board and a safe which I incidentally could not reset despite repeatedly following the instructions! There was one of those awful hair dryers that are permanently fixed, the type that you have to keep your thumb on to get them to work.

The staff were extremely friendly and welcoming in reception, in the bar and in the dining room and we were made to feel very welcome. The barman even carried a table and chairs for us, my colleague and I, to sit outside and enjoy the warmth of the evening sunshine as we enjoyed a glass of wine one early evening on our return to the hotel after a long day.

The evening meal was quite basic but very good value, the two course menu which we had every night had a good choice and was very reasonably priced and of generous portions. The wine too was very reasonably priced.

The first two mornings the cooked breakfast was buffet style and not very appealing, as often found in food that is left in heated containers for long periods. We were nearly always first into the dining room at 7am but were often unable to find any staff around as they were all hidden away in the kitchen area. One morning nothing had been set out when we arrived. For the rest of our stay the buffet style was replaced for some reason by cooked breakfasts to order, which was a great improvement and the poached eggs I ordered were very fresh and cooked perfectly.

All in all I enjoyed my stay here and thought the stay was good value for the prices paid. This is not a 5 star luxury hotel neither does it pretend to be.

I would definitely stay here again if business brought me to Derry.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed two nights. the Food and room was fine for the price.
There was a Wedding on the second night and the noise was unacceptabe we did not get to sleep until the party stoped at 1.30am. Then the noise of people returning to their rooms.

We complained to the staff and they said that there was a wedding on as if this justified matters. Staff said that when people telephone the hotel they are informed that there is a wedding. The staff said that they do not inform people who book on line. This hotel does not care about its customers. I do wish the Bride and Groom every good wish for the future.

Room Tip: This hotel is only for guests attending a social event at the hotel. It is not for those people who...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Patrick C

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I held our wedding reception in the Waterfoot in September 2013! The whole venue was perfect from food, service to the very bedrooms! The staff couldn't have done more to make our day special and were so attentive to all our guests! Thanks to all the management, wedding advisors and staff.

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We spent a very nice night at the Waterfoot hotel in Londomderry. The room was very spacious, clean and comfortable. The breakfast was very good , and we would certainly like to,go back there again. .

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last week for a family members wedding, the reception was lovely and modern but the rooms were dated. My main problem was the beds, old mattresses which weren't comfortable and kept us awake most of the night. At the beginning of our stay breakfast was fantastic but be prepared for self service on weekends (and waiting for food to be cooked as it was a bit of a free for all!) staff were very friendly and helpful. Overall it was nice enough but I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple