“Fantastic accommodation and kind hosts.”
Review of Elaghvale Lodge

Elaghvale Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Derry
Elaghvale Lodge
Ranked #26 of 43 Derry B&B and Inns
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Fantastic accommodation and kind hosts.”
Reviewed 1 May 2011

As I write this review, it has been a number of months since I had the pleasure of staying at Elaghvale Lodge and I thought this business deserved due recognition for their outstanding service and quality of accommodation.

The main attraction to Elaghvale for us was it's self contained accommodation which was located separately from our host's house; however due to the popularity of the business, we did have to stay one night of our planned itinerary in the B&B which was also very pleasant.

The other main attractions (necessities really) were the fact that satellite TV was available and a WIFI signal was also present so we could surf the net. This was absolutely necessary for me as I was doing University coursework through the net at the time. Thankfully I was able to get all my reports finished. I don't think I was able to fully appreciate it at the time, but the view from our window was just magnificent with Frisian cows wandering over rolling hills with a town sitting on a lough (I can't recall the name of it just now) in the far distance. Really picturesque and chocolate boxy.

The rooms were clean and well appointed, the furnishings and fittings were all best quality and did everything expected of them. Our served breakfast was always very tasty and we were served a variety of different breakfast foods as well as cereals, juices and cheeses. We sat at a large kitchen table in the middle of a beautiful and quaint cottage kitchen and our host made every effort to see that we were made comfortable. Who could ask for more?

If criticisms can be made, I would say that the television was probably the biggest drawback. Although it was coming through a satellite and we could get the free-to-air channels in good quality, there were possibly 100 different channels that were unavailable and a few of the channels that could be seen were often hidden amongst the ones you couldn't, so we were often referring to a list we had made for channel surfing.

Also, the WIFI was also fairly hit and miss, with only one place in the house where you could receive a good signal consistently. Thankfully, this was in-front of a beautiful picture window. I can't really say others will have this problem since the network card in my laptop was always fairly rubbish, so there may be nothing wrong with the signal at all. Finally, the curb going into the driveway was always a bit severe and we often needed to maneuver our car around so the cement wouldn't scrape the undercarriage... Granted we had a low profile tires on an long wheel-base Audi A8 so we were practically asking for trouble :)

With these trifling concerns aside, we had a great holiday in Northern Ireland and we'll definitely be back to Elaghvale Lodge when we return.

The Dantons (From Australia).

Room Tip: The separate cottage is great.