“Friendly Derry”

Ranked #2 of 47 Derry B&B and Inns
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Friendly Derry”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is your classic B&B but with top notch fully modernized and ensuite rooms. The House is run by a friendly local family and all the family members chip in with the different activities necessary to keep everything running smoothly. Most of Derry like this B&B is on the Donegal or western side of the river and from the B&B you have a 5-10 minutes walk down into the city centre. Complimentary secure off road parking is available and needless to say a decent a la carte breakfast is served and I had no problems with the complimentary WIFI in my room. As I arrived earlier in the day I was able to choose a larger double at the front of the house rather than a smaller rear single that I would otherwise have been booked into. The road outside is not particularly busy and of course everything is double glazed but as I say in many of my reviews , always travel with earplugs if you're worried about being a light sleeper (which I am). Anyway, I enjoyed my 2 night stay and the hospitality and conversations with the friendly family who run the place - like so many others reviewers, I think this establishment comes highly recommended and the hosts work hard to maintain the guesthouse's high standards.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Rose park was not quite what we expected. Our room, although containing all the usual fixtures and comforts, was not actually inside the house, but in the refurbished garage out the back. The weather was fine, so there were no problems accessing the house for breakfast. Thomas and the crew were very welcoming and helpful. Ben, the family dog is cute, but not everyone would be OK sharing the breakfast room with him.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Goose Creek, South Carolina
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My wife and I were guests at the Rose Park House for 3 weeks. We selected this B&B based upon location as it is near friends and relatives we planned to visit. To our surprise, it was more than we hoped for. We were assigned a detached unit which accomodated our many coming and goings at odd hours. We were served a hearty and delicious Irish breakfast each morning. It was around the breakfast table that we became intimate with the very friendly family and staff running Rose Park House. In very short order, we were treated like family. I thoroughly enjoyed and looked forward to the friendly banter as we sat at beakfast. We were also extended additional amenities not usually offered at a B&B, such as use of their computer, mid day snacks and tea, laundry services, etc. Our flight arrangements required a very early departure from Derry. Mary, who runs the day to day operations of Rose Park House and Thomas, her father, were up extra early to prepare us breakfast and ensure Taxi service. Throughout our visit we were treated like family. Rose Park House will always be my first choice upon a return trip to Derry.

Room Tip: Reserve early.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Ottawa, OH
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Where to start, so many wonderful things... When i first got there i was greeted by Mary. She had tea or coffee and biscuits waiting and a warm fire on (which was grand as was a chilly april day). Then we had a lovely conversation and i was made to feel right at home. Next, i was shown my room . Beautiful, very comfortable, clean room and all are ensuite. Every nite was very restful. The only thing you could hear at night was the quiet whoosh of cars going by. Breakfast every morning was great! From full Irish to continental style or whatever variation you desired. The hosts Thomas, Joe, Mary or one of Thomas sons, were more than happy to provide. This B n B is only 15 min walk from city center and very convenient by taxi service as well. Thomas was a very gracious host, and always very helpful, funny and friendly. Of all the places I've stayed, I've never felt more at home and I was treated like family. I was very sad to leave and look forward to my next visit to the beautiful city of Derry. I will definitely come back and stay at Rose Park House again. I highly recommend it if you plan on staying in Derry. Amazing hosts, convenient, and well priced. As a solo traveler i was made to feel rite at home. Thank you, Thomas and family for everything!

From Emily D in Ohio

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Tunbridge Wells, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We were coming to Derry for a friend's wedding at the Beech Country House Hotel in Ardmore and we couldn't get a room as it was already booked out. How lucky we were - because that led us to discover this gem of a place on the Bogside. My English Home Counties wife might have expected to feel less than comfortable passing Free Derry Corner and the murals on the way up to the house, but quite the opposite is what happened. She and I felt very welcome and looked after.
Thomas and the whole family running Rose Park couldn't have been more thoughtful, courteous and friendly (but not in the OTT way that some B&B owners can sometimes be). The house was spotless - our room was dominated by a very large bed with a very comfortable mattress. The room's decor was (surprisingly to us) to a very contemporary style with Asian influence. The tiled bathroom with shower cabinet was perfect. Awesome power shower. Hot water with speed and pressure that an American 4* would be hard pressed to match. The family even recommended a local hairdresser, Vivid Studio, for my wife to get her hair done on the morning of the wedding - and she was impressed with the banter, quality and value.
The fried breakfast was perfection.
We will be recommending Rose Park to anyone who is thinking of visiting Derry/Londonderry. It's worth a change from a soulless corporate hotel and it's far better value for money for a room and experience of superior quality. Thanks Rose Park!

Room Tip: If you want the maximum chance for quiet night, ask for rm 1 if it's available - it doesn't...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Bolton
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Yes, we came to stay at the Rose Park House in Derry for a wedding at the Presbyterian church. We needed a location with easy access to the city centre both for the sites and the bars and restaurants, but we were also on a budget. We chose Rose Park House as it was very reasonably priced and because of the feedback from previous visitors. Rose Park House was particularly comfortable, with tastefully decorated rooms and most importantly it's run by a very friendly family and some of their close friends. A good breakfast was anticipated and we were not dissapointed - we kept eating and drinking tea for an hour! We were a reasonably demanding bunch but all of our requests were happily met and exceeded. Our stay incorporated the Easter weekend and so breakfast expanded into afternoon teas with homemade cakes especially baked for the celebration (it would have been very rude not to!). You really do get a sense that the people who run this place are so keen to invite any guests into their home and make them feel most welcome. Well done Thomas, Joe, Aaron et al. We shall return with the rest of our team, as promised.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Liz_Hopkinson
Kosel, Germany
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I stayed at this lovely B&B and it was great. A little hard to reach when you walk up the hill (in the constant rain in April 2012) but easy (parking) if you have a car. Very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo