“Shelter from an Atlantic storm”

Rose Park House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 44 Derry B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 September 2012

We only stayed one night in Derry and the weather was wild. Rose Park House was our shelter from the storm.
This is a family run B&B with all members pitching in to make it run smoothly. We were greeted warmly by the daughter, cooked a delicious breakfast by the son and farewelled by mum and dad.
Our room with ensuite was at the back away from the road. It was compact but more than adequate for an overnight stay. The bed was comfortable and we slept soundly.
We accepted their recommendation to dine at a nearby hotel (good pub food), and joined the walking tour of Derry that was also recommended (excellent).

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 September 2012

We were met by the owner at the gate of the house and was helped with our cases into the hotel followed by the most beautiful dog named ben who was the star of the stay!! Beautiful rooms and food nothing was too much trouble Will definitely stay again Warm and very friendly hotel Travelodges don't come close You have to stay here it was wonderful!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 21 September 2012

We had a great room for our two day stay that was very quiet room and perfect breakfasts with lots of variety and options!

The owners are quick to offer suggestions, maps and helpful hints as well. We walked down through a lovely park to town and home each afternoon and/or evening for dinner and appreciated the walk home to burn off a bit of dinner but you could just take a 4 minute drive if you chose to!

Room Tip: Our room was smallish but I liked it as on top floor at the back so very quiet!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I stayed here one night on my way to Giant's Causeway and Belfast. I really wish I had more time to spend. The B&B was warm and wonderful. Everyone was so helpful and friendly, providing me with a very good map and recommendations for dinner. When I checked in I was asked if I was here to see the Olympic Flame. I hadn't even known it was going to be there! I was able to make my way down to the city center in time to see the Olympic Relay and the Flame go by, definitely an unexpected treat and once in a lifetime experience! I'm so glad that it was pointed out to me! I had difficulty with my internet connection and they were great at helping me get connected to tell everyone my adventures of the day! I loved the room; it was quite spacious and the bed was so comfortable. There is street parking, or there is a small alley behind the house you are allowed to use that they gate off at night. The owner was kind enough to back my car out of the alley for me in the morning, which I really appreciated. =-) I was traveling solo, and felt completely safe. I would defintely recommend Rose Park House, and hope to find myself there again some day!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Sarah D
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Lovely people and lovely and clean ensuite rooms. Ideally located in Derry to go to the city or Co. Donegal in just a few minutes!

Parking wasnt ideal with not much room available.

While breakfast was lovely it wasn't the biggest fry in the world!

I wouldnt hesitiate in reccommending it to my friends!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights on holiday, everything you read about the hosts are true, a real and genuine family run B&B which really makes you feel at home. Great hosts, nothing too much trouble, arrived late in evening but got me settled and a fresh pot of coffee, terrific full Ulster fry up but lots of cereal alternatives for the more healthy minded.

I stayed in a small double room to the front which was very well decorated with a flair for colour and design, well thought out use of the space. This room might be a little small for a couple but I saw 2 or 3 of the other double rooms which were much more spacious and similarly decorated (each one was different but modern)

The whole property was well in excellent condition throughout with slim colour TV in each room, free wi-fi and a very contemporary feel throughout.

So this is not a 5 star hotel, but what it is, is a fantastic B&B which I will always return to on any future Derry visits - I would recommend to all, good location for the town (about 0.7 mile walk but loads of taxi's available if you are feeling lazy).

There is a leisure centre over the road but as I didn't try can't comment but looked modern.

In summary, 10/10, a great B&B, super value for money but above all the hosts make this experience unrivalled and knocks spots off many so called superior hotels. Thanks Tommy and all the family.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank timg69
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed here for one night based on recommendations and the Tripadvisor rating. Our GPS/satnav got us here safe and sound from a full day of driving along the coast. We parked along the side of the house and went in. The owner, Thomas, was quick to help us with our suitcases and had us pull our car into his garage (even offered to pull it in so we didn't crash it!).

We were given a room behind the house. I was a little bummed by this because it was my first B&B experience and we weren't actually in the house. It kind of felt like an apartment. Anyhow, it was a very nice room. I was told when I booked that it was a king, but it was actually a queen bed. The room was very new and comfortable (bed was a little soft). Bathroom consisted of a stand-up shower and there was shampoo/conditioner (2 in 1) and some body wash that also doubled as hand soap. Hubby is a big guy and barely squeezed in the shower, but made do. The internet worked well on our iPads, but not on my Macbook for some strange reason.

Thomas was very helpful and gave me a great history lesson about Derry and the surrounding area. Was even helpful with information about my ancestor's surname and the possible origins. Just a wealth of information. Armed me with a historical map for our next day's drive.

B&B is about a 10-15 minute walk from Bogside and the Derry Walls. But be warned...it is all downhill on the way there and a steep climb back up!

Taxis are 2.50/3.00 to get to the riverside and Thomas will call one for you.

Breakfast the next morning was very good. Mary is the cook and she was great. I even managed to snag another piece of soda bread (I am hooked on it!).

They do have a very friendly dog....just as a heads up to those who are allergic or afraid.

We would absolutely stay again and recommend to others.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the house for a more cozy B&B experience.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple