Carrowmena Activity Centre and Glamping
US$85
Travelocity
US$99
US$94
All reviewsclimbing wallzip linebell tentfire pitglamping podsleap of faithtuck shopshower blockcoin operatedroegreat facilitiesbirthday partystaff went out of their waygreat weekendstaff were so friendlystayed for nightsmany thanks
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Didn't matter about the weather, activities were run with a cheery disposition by Stevie and Stephen. We did archery, climbing wall and zipline, some of it in the rain, and enjoyed every minute!!

The glamping cocoons were great - overall ... great facilities, lovely staff, great craic.
Highly recommended :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank debsiev
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I'd just like to say first of all that if you are travelling with kids, the activities for them are excellent and all the staff (with the exception of the owner) are very welcoming and friendly.

I brought a group of young people here a couple of weeks ago. The Hostel is based in an old school building and when we arrived, my initial feelings were just how cold it was inside the building. There was a smell of damp and the corridors are very dark. I was convinced it was the beginning of a horror film. My room was freezing, there was no key to lock the bedroom door from the outside when I was away. As I didn't know any of the group I had brought here (I was just the coach driver), I wasn't too happy leaving personal belongings in an unlocked room. I had to go and ask for sheets and a duvet cover. The fitted sheet was far too small and so didn't fit. Also, I could hear every single footstep and voice from upstairs. Shared showers were absolutely disgusting. Bathroom not much better. Food at the hostel was basic but done the job to be honest. Again, staff very friendly and great craic. By the time it got dark, it was now unbearably cold. Finally, after several hours of us being there, the owner decided to switch the heat on (for a couple of hours). The following morning, the showers were freezing cold. Apparently, the owner had forgotten to set the timer correctly. Indeed! Didn't have breakfast so can't comment on it.

Throughout the stay, the staff were just excellent! They make the stay enjoyable for the young people and as I've said, the activities for them are very good. On checking out, the staff commented on how quiet and how well behaved the young people on this trip had been and how clean and tidy they had left the hostel. I'm the coach driver and didn't know any of the group, but even so, I had also noticed that the entire groups behaviour and manner throughout the whole trip was excellent. Therefore, I was shocked when the owner (this being her first appearance) came running over to the coach as we were leaving and said in a rude, aggressive tone that she'd be billing the organiser for a broken window. Upon inspection by the organiser, it was confirmed that the handle to open one of the windows had indeed broken, however, it looked fairly clear that it had been broken for some time. It would cost approximately £3 to fix yourself. It was fairly clear that this was a desperate attempt to pin the blame on this group for another groups carelessness (or even lack of preventative maintenance on the building). The owner then just said to look out for the bill in the post. The group (with the exception of myself) did seem to enjoy their few days here, however the manner and aggressive attitude of the owner at the end of the stay did leave them disappointed and annoyed.

At the end of the day, it is budget accommodation and if you're happy with budget accommodation and are travelling with kids/young people, then the activities on offer and the excellent staff will make the stay enjoyable. Also, the Glamping huts do look impressive. It is worth a 4/5 rating for this. However, watch out for the owner, because her attitude, manner and way that she talks down to her customers will leave you with a sour taste in your mouth when you leave. That's why I can only rate it 2/5.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Neal C
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I rang to enquire about a booking at the centre and recieved absolutely shocking customer service from a lady over the phone who could not have got off the phone quick enough, she was very abrupt and rude, and i am deeply disappointed as a paying customer to be spoken down to and now I would think twice before booking anything there if that is the quality of the service of all members of staff!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
10  Thank Chloe M
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Stayed here with a group of children (28 of them aged 9-11!!!) and loved it. We all had a great time and got to experience things we've never done before. The hostel is an old school which has been converted and it is really cosy, comfortable and clean. The staff are fantastic, so friendly, warm and welcoming and interact well with both adults and children. I will definitely be back with another group.

Room Tip: You can't choose a quite room because you can't choose quite residents (children you take with you will make noise and it will be heard!) but they are comfortable and provide a good nights rest.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank explorerNI
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We had a brilliant time, can't say enough about how great the staff were. The girls who signed us in and looked after the site were really friendly and came across really professional. A big thumbs up to Marty who looked after us for the canoeing , rock wall climbing and zip line, he made it so much fun that our 4 year old went down the zip line no problem at all. We all had a great time and was very impressed with the glamping hut and the amenitys available to the campers.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family