“Excellent Tour”

Derry Blue Badge Guide
Ranked #3 of 19 Tours in Derry
More attraction details
Owner description: Michael Cooper offers fantastic guided tours of Derry and the wider north of Ireland which are great value and extremely informative. Michael Cooper is the only Blue Badge guide in Derry-the highest accreditation in the guiding industry. Michaels tours are available on foot or by private vehicle hire. He also offers step on guides for coaches whether half day, full day or all Ireland. Michael guarantees the best rates in the industry-for example a private hire tour of the Giants Causeway is only £120 for up to four people. Tour options include Derry (including the city walls and Bogside murals), the Causeway Coast (including the Giants Causeway, Bushmills Distlliery and Carrick a rede ropebridge), Glens of Antrim, Sligo, Fermanagh, Belfast, Armagh, the Sperrins as well as trips to Inishowen, the Donegal Highlands, south Donegal (including Slieve League seacliffs) Arranmore island and Dublin. Michael specialises in political tours which describe the origins and events of the conflict in the north of Ireland as well as the peace process. He is also a published historian and elected representative in the local government in Derry giving him a unique insight into the ongoing peace process and the ability to organise Q &A's with ex-prisoners and colleagues involved in the peace process negootiations.
Reviewed 7 October 2013

A cousin recommended that we book a tour of Derry with Blue Badge tours, so we did, and we have no regrets. Our guide was Michael Cooper, the owner of Blue Badge, and an extremely knowledgeable man. We thought we knew something of the "troubles" in Derry, but found that we actually knew very little. Michael did an excellent job, and we learned so much. He is an excellent guide and our half-day tour was packed with so much information. Although Michael was very up front about his political leanings, we felt that his presentation was remarkably optimistic, looking not only to the past, but also toward the future. We finished with a visit to the Bogside Museum, a must-see for anyone visiting Derry.
Derry, by the way, is a wonderful city to visit. It was definitely our favorite among the different cities we visited in Northern Ireland. The walled city with its beautiful peace bridge, should be on everyone's itinerary. We just wished we could have stayed longer.

Thank you, Michael, and the people of Derry for such an outstanding experience.

There are newer reviews for Derry Blue Badge Guide

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Five of us took three tours with Michael and one of Belfast City arranged by Michael (guide was Jerry). We had an excellent time. Michael took us to Derry, Donegal and the Coast. We learned a great deal of Irish history and folklore. Michael was ever willing to answer any questions including many about the troubles. The van was roomy. We were able to stop for photos on request or stop just for a view. The cost was very reasonable. Michael was just a top notch guide. Jerry toured six of us around Belfast, and he showed us all the sites that we requested, and was very knowledgeable about the history. He also answered all our questions, and the car was quite comfortable. We lunched at a really local small place, no frills, but nice to do. I highly recommend this tour company. These were full day tours.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

As a tour guide from the UK there is no way I am about to attempt to cover the history of Derry - I don't have the knowledge and it would simply not have been proper for me to attempt to relate the issues that this city has had to face both in recent times and in the past centuries.

I have used Michael Cooper a number of times now in Derry and Belfast and can vouch for the fact that he is an incredibly informative guide who tells it as it is and feeds off the interest of those in his tour group.

The members of my groupware astonished at his pace of delivery and made the point that they have never got so much out of a half day tour as they did with Michael.

I thoroughly recommend Michael.....he will give you an fantastic tour and you will leave the city understanding a great deal more about the history of this proud city and the issues that have effected its people over recent years and to an extent today.

Finally, Michael's delivery is thoroughly optimistic and up-beat ! The tour is great value for money.

Oh and make sure you visit the Bogside Museum as part of your tour - compelling, fascinating and a MUST to see in Derry.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I was a member of a choir visit to Donegal over the last few days and we had a day trip to Derry, meeting Michael for a tour. We were all captivated by his knowledge and explanation of the history of the troubles and wish we had recorded this. We have had such a distorted view of Northern Ireland from the media that it was great to hear an interesting and balanced viewpoint and also to see that there is hope for the future.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

My husband and I booked a Princess tour of Derry, and were very fortunate to have Michael as our guide. Since my ancestors left from Derry, I have read extensively about genealogy and history in Northern Ireland, but Michael still astonished me with his detailed knowledge and also his willingness to help. He is very passionate about his hometown, and I found that heartwarming and refreshing.