“Lovely hotel but restaurant and breakfast cold” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Everglades Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Derry
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel but restaurant and breakfast cold”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed here on Saturday 9th November with my mum and daughter and the hotel itself was lovely, the staff were fantastic and very helpful and friendly. The rooms were spacious and on the whole the standard was good. However the restaurant on Saturday evening was extremely cold, the food was excellent but we were beside the window and were absolutely freezing, we asked to be moved but it was still uncomfortably cold where we moved to. We went into the bar area which was also extremely cold and eventually went to bed early as a result. Other people in the bar also complained about the cold that evening. The rooms however were warm and comfortable. In the morning again the food was nice although it was not warm enough, in particular the bacon was freezing. I advised the receptionist of these issues on departure as it would be a shame if these things were not rectified as this is a lovely hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HastyK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Recently went to visit with my mum. The hotel was easy to get to and the welcome was very warm and friendly!

Room was spacious, clean and well maintained.

Dinner was of a very high standard and we both really enjoyed the pate! There is a wonderful atmosphere in the hotel. The staff were the highlight of the stay, they were warm friendly and couldn't do enough. This is really the best of all the Hastings hotels with regards to service, food and value for money.

Stayed November 2013
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

We booked a last minute stay at the Everglades & very glad we did so. Fantastic service from arrival until checkout! Amazing suite, with maybe the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever stayed in, not to mention the biggest!! Breakfast was great with a choice of continental to a Full Irish cooked breakfast. Tea & coffee offered endlessly! Derry city also a short distance in a taxi , easily accessible if you are looking to leave this fab hotel at all! All in all an 'A1' stay and would definitely recommend and hope to revisit again soon.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Omarmac
EvergladesManager, General Manager at Everglades Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Dear guest,

From all the staff and management here at The Everglades Hotel we would like to thank you for writing such a glowing review of our hotel and staff. I am glad you pointed out our fantastic pillow top matresses. At Hastings Hotels we believe this is very important and we are now 100% across the group able to sell "sleeping on a cloud" beds. Thank you also for pointing our our locally sourced cooked breakfast.
I know my chef and his team will be delighted that you enjoyed.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Warmest regards

Milton Keynes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Located outside the city on the Prehen Road heading towards Strabane.The highlight of this stay was the natural friendliness of the staff.Interestingly, once they where given one's name it was used on contact, made me feel like a regular though this was my first stay. I was allocated a large room with lounge space clean & tidy. A little dated in parts and in need of aircon. Dinner in the restaurant offered a varied selection more than adequate for my needs.Breakfast was buffet style with a good selection. A relaxing comfortable stay away from the hustle & bustle of the city centre. I can recommend the king sized bed, so comfortable, I almost overslept.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I would like to thank you for your detail and for pointing out one of my greatest assests , my staff. I am delighted they made you feel at home and I will be sharing this feedback with them all.
I hope we can welcome you back in the future so that you can enjoy our wonderful beds again and maybe a lay in with no work to go to.

Thank you again and best wishes.

County Londonderry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Recently my husband and I attended a wedding in the everglades hotel and I have to say it was one of the best venues I've been to!
From you enter the front door the girls at reception are more than helpful and friendly and nothing was a bother to them. The interior was warm, homely and inviting with big open fireplaces!
The actual room for the wedding meal was amazing from the lighting to the table decorations which the hotel provided not to mention the chandaleers on the ceiling, very spacious....very comfortable and plesant surroundings.
The meal itself was amazing and piping hot. The waiting staff served and cleared away in good time and were very plesant and helpful! Very well organised.
We had a great time at this venue and will definately be back.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear guest

I would like to thank you from all the staff and management here at The Everglades Hotel. We really appreciate your business and also you taking the time to write such a fantastic review of our property.
Weddings are a very important part of our business and I am delighted you were treated so well and I will be sharing your lovely comments with my entire team and I know the Chef Colman and his team will love to read these compliments.

As you have stated you will be back , we look forward to seeing you.

Warmest regards

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Firstly, I have to say that I was very warmly welcomed to the Everglades Hotel. The staff were fantastic, very welcoming and attentive throughout my stay. That said, the devil is in the detail and I really didn't find that this property gave great value for money.

Firstly, it cost £10 for Wifi! This is a big bugbear of mine as I think that in this day and age, wifi is a necessity for anyone who is travelling on business. I would prefer to pay a higher rate and have the wifi included than have to pay extra when I arrive. To be fair, the wifi in public areas is free but having to pay for it in my room really annoyed me.

The other thing I found strange was that the Bar Food stopped very early and the only dining option was the restaurant. I was travelling alone and really would have preferred a more informal setting and a less pricey option, however the food and service in the Restaurant was fantastic.

As the title of the review suggests, this is a lovely hotel but.... I didn't find it to be very good value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear guest.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel.
I am delighted you pointed out that my staff were "fantastic" and "attentive".
Customer service is something we work on everyday.
With regard to your "bugbear" with internet, I apologise that you were upset that there was a charge for internet access in your room.
We dont believe in disguising internet charges in room rates as we provide the most secure network available in BT Openzone.
That access I am glad you enjoyed complimentary in our public areas.

Again thank you for pointing out our fantastic service in the restaurant and for pointing out that our hotel was lovely.

If you decide to return to our hotel , we offer various great packages that include wifi and or an evening meal, these prove to be fantastic value.

Warm regards

Derry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I booked afternoon tea at the Everglades as a treat for my mother's birthday. As a busy working granny of six, my mother's weekend tend to be far from relaxing as she spends precious time with her brood of grandchildren (ranging in age from 11 to 1). I wanted something which would take her away from the rush and fuss of normal life and an afternoon in front of the fire the Everglades, sipping champagne, drinking tea and having a relaxing chat seemed just the thing.
Booking afternoon tea was easy (a few clicks on a website and a quick phonecall). We were greeted by the very friendly staff, led to our reserved seating and handed our glasses of fizz while we waited for our food to be freshly prepared.
The selection of food, beautiful presented, was impressive. From a variety of finger sandwiches, to scones and fresh baked bread and a fine selection of sweet treats, we were spoiled for choice.
We were told if we left any food behind we could, if we wished, box it up to bring away with us to make the most of our experience.
We sat for two hours, enjoying the cosy atmosphere. The lounge and bar were busy, but not overly so. The mood was sedate and perfect - just what we needed and the staff were at all times attentive but not intrusive.
We've decided to make it a birthday tradition - and I could not recommend a more relaxing afternoon.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

I would just like to thank you for taking the time to not only tweeting about your experience but for taking the time to write such a glowing review of our Everglades Hotel on here.

I am delighted you enjoyed your afternoon tea, and the relaxing cosy atmosphere.
I will be sharing your fantastic comments with my team and I know my food and beverage team will be delighted to read this.
Please come and see us again soon and dont leave it until the next birthday to visit.

Thank you again and best wishes.