“Not so good this time” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Derry
Dublin, Ireland
“Not so good this time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

Having stayed here several times previously, I have to confess my stay this week was, by comparison, disappointing.

In no particular order, the bathroom was very small, with the wash basin cramped in one corner of the room. There was also nowhere in the shower to put shower gels/shampoo etc (other than the floor where they can easily fall over). Returning to the hotel on the second evening, I discovered that all the towels had been removed and not replaced - not the end of the world but still inconvenient.

Went to the bar on the second evening around 7pm to ask if they sold bar snacks. Was told that no bar snacks were sold after 6:30pm and that I would need to eat in the restaurant which, by this time, was full to bursting with two coach loads of tourists. Eventually common sense prevailed and our meals were brought into the bar, but still an unnecessarily complicated transaction.

One of those stays where it was a matter of many of the small things being not quite right. On the plus side, the big bed and free internet access are good, but still disappointed with my three night stay. One other observation is that the hotel clearly thrives on high occupancy through coach parties - perhaps those not on a coach tour could be treated as equals, and not as inferior to the tourist groups ?!

Room Tip: Ask for an even numbered room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank sjd74
EvergladesManager, General Manager at Everglades Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property.
I apologise you did not get to experience us at our best.
I am sorry that we failed you in more than one occasion. I will be addressing these areas you have kindly pointed out.

I would be delighted if you decided to give us another chance upon returning to the City and if you did, could you email me on genmanager@egh.hastingshotels.com

Warm regards

Neil Devlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

When I booked this hotel I did so on my experience of other Hastings hotels and I think that's the first mistake I made. We paid £163.00 for two nights B&B in a family room for 2 adults and a 4-year old child. I thought for a 4 star rating this was a good price but with our visit behind us I now feel it was expensive for an average experience which is disappointing.

Our check-in was great and it was carried out by Keeleigh(apologies if incorrectly spelt). Moving through the lobby and passed the newly decorated lounge we were excited to get to our room. The room upon entering seemed lovely but not 4-star in our opinion. For a family room there weren't enough towels and only 2 tea cups but haven spoken to Keeleigh about this they were promptly delivered to our room. The most concerning thing about our room which was located on the 3rd floor, was the bedroom window. This window opened outwards leaving an opening of around 12 inches which if travelling with small children is a health & safety issue. Although there were small chains to prevent the window from opening further, the one on the right hand side was broken. I did speak to Keeleigh about this and she offered to move us to another room which we declined as we'd already unpacked and were satisfied we'd supervise our child at all times. Keeleigh did advise that there was no one in maintenance on site at that time who could repair the broken window chain. As the room faces onto a road with several houses, the room would benefit from either a net curtain or blinds instead of having to keep the heavy curtains closed.

There were ample tea/coffee supplies and toiletries in the bathroom and the beds were the most comfortable we've ever slept in even though you'd need a stepladder to climb onto them if you're small/short lol. The television is a great size and wifi has been upgraded to be in all the bedrooms free of charge. For a family room there was only 4 hangers which I found strange. There was no pen or pencil in the room and two small pages similar to post-it notes which was the extent of the stationery.

We would have ordered room service but with a £5 I think charge per tray that would have made a burger and chips around £17 each which is extortionate. Instead we used the wifi to search for a local Domino's Pizza and were able to order in for a total of £17 to feed the 3 of us.

When my husband went to use the shower he thought it didn't look right and used a baby wipe to wipe across the water holes in the shower head. By the time he'd finished cleaning it he'd used 5 wipes and the grime and mildew was black like soot. This must have been the first time it had been cleaned in quite some time. This is worrying as hotels carry so many customers from all over the world and germs thrive in an area such as a shower head.

After our 1st night we were really looking forward to breakfast but this turned out to be the most disappointing aspect of our stay. The breakfast room is also the evening dining room and it seemed very formal for a breakfast setting. There was plenty to choose from but the quality just wasn't there. The potato and soda bread looked and tasted undercooked and stale, the sausages tasted like cheap quality meat and the bacon was totally undercooked. On our 1st morning there was only one fried egg left at 9am and it looked like something that had been there overnight. I'm sure if we'd asked fresh eggs would have been cooked but if you're 4 star these are the types of things that you should be keeping a close eye on not relying on customer feedback to highlight. One thing that was lovely and indeed kind was one of the staff noticed our child wouldn't eat the food and she packed up a fresh croissant in a pink cardboard box for us to take with us. That was a lovely touch and the kind of standard I'd expect from a 4 star hotel.

All in all this was a disappointing first time visit to the Everglades Hotel and I think with more attention to detail it could very well be the 4 star hotel it purports to be. I have to say the reception and bar areas are beautiful given the recent sad event and I think it's unfair of customers to comment negatively about renovation works as they are essential. We did manage to see 2 of the suites in the hotel as staff were cleaning rooms on our floor and at 1st glance they seemed sumptuous and certainly 4 star.

We've a wedding to attend in Derry next May and based on our experience at the Everglades we won't be booking to stay here which I'm disappointed about because I'd like to be in a position to say better things about the hotel but I'm an honest customer who believes in honest reviews.

Room Tip: Try to get a suite although they weren't available as a choice when we booked on the internet th...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of our property.
I apologise you did not get to experience us at our best. And I am sorry we failed in more than one area.
I know my team would have reacted to these areas if they knew they had failed but I will be addressing these areas that you have pointed out.

Warm Regards

Derry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Stayed in the Everglades for the Bank Holiday with few friends as a special treat, we were not disappointed!! Greeted with champagne a beautiful new reception & lobby. We had afternoon tea with delicious scones & treats, continuing with drinks in the lobby. Had a lovely time, thank you Everglades will be back :)

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank EmmaDerry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Everglades recently. It was my first stay in a hotel with my family and it was an absolute treat from beginning to end. We were greeted by a very friendly receptionist and upgraded to a beautiful suite on arrival. The suite was exceptional. It was perfect for the kids with everything we needed & more. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in. We had a dinner reservation that evening. Again we were greeted by the lovely friendly members of staff. The food was of a very high standard. I could honestly not ask for anything more. We had a wonderful stay. We will definitely be back. The new lobby with its beautiful seating area was so warm and welcoming. I would like to thank in particular Mr Neil Devlin for his excellent service and for making our stay so special. It is very obvious how dedicated and devoted Neil and his members of staff are, their pride and hospitality are a true reflection of this excellent hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Aishlene C
Belfast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We recently passed through Derry on our way to Donegal and stayed at the Everglades while we treated ourselves out to an amazing meal at Browns Restaurant.
It's a crying shame that the one thing Derry lacks is a really good hotel. The Everglades would like to be that but just isn't.
When we arrived we discovered that the main lobby was being refurbished so the reception staff were camped out in the entrance to the ballroom. I would like to say that of all things the staff are a credit to the hotel. The disruption didn't fade them for a second and our greeting was warm and professional.
Our room was large and clean but because there was so much furniture in it felt a little cramped. I'm not complaining about the bed - that was huge and wonderfully comfy. However there were little things like wallpaper coming off the wall, very bad lighting which required an uplighter which made next to no difference. The toiletries in the bathroom smell lovely though.
Breakfast was a big disappointment. There are leaflets all over the hotel extolling the wonders of the local produce used. Being from Northern Ireland I know we can do much better than the soggy offerings I received. I also think that more care could be taken setting up - it took me six tries at other tables around ours to find a clean coffee cup and I'm sorry but the waitstaff had some serious body odour issues. It made me wonder why so early in the morning.
The decor downstairs has a lovely olive and green scheme but the muzzak played was offensive. I also couldn't understand why there were white and red chair covers in the breakfast room - they stuck out like a sore thumb. There are also tacky, colour changing lighting schemes which don't do the hotel any favours.

The Everglades might once have been a nice hotel but standards are starting to slip. Our room cost us £90 a night and although cheap, I certainly wouldn't call it a bargain. I would love for the place to pull its socks up and do better.

Room Tip: We went for a superior standard. The room wasn't amazing but the bed was great.
      Sleep Quality
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of our property.
I apologise that we failed to meet your expectations on more than one occasion.
Thank you for pointing out our new pillow top beds. Im delighted you enjoyed these.
The Red & White chair covers were on chairs in the restaurant for a Football Team that was in staying with us and these were their club colours. They normally are not there.

Again thank you for sharing your experience and I know my team would have gone the extra mile if they realised at the time they have failed. I will of course be addressing these issues you have raised, so for that I appreciate your feedback.

Warm Regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

just had a great one night stay at this hotel. booked in for B+B but the generosity of a friend got us upgraded to the Andrew Jackson suite and what a beautiful room to stay in, we had complete privacy. A very comfortable spacious room & a super comfy bed, a very clean hotel throughout. we had a nice meal in the restaurant food & service was excellent. I have to mention the staff so friendly and professional, management should be proud of the team they have. This hotel is well worth a visit a little Gem in Derry.

Room Tip: suites are well worth treating yourself to.
1 Thank Marian F
Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

This is a nice hotel in a good location. We stopped for two nights under separate bookings and both times had a good experience. Check in is timely, welcoming and efficient and the rooms are spacious enough with very comfortable beds.

The hotels has all the creature comforts that you would expect although there is a separate charge for Wi-Fi in your room they do have communal internet access. Tea and coffee facilities are provided and even when our kettle refused to work on our second stay this was quickly rectified. The only down side of the entire stay was that even with the windows closed you can still here the traffic on the busy main A2 outside.

The hotel is situated about a mile and a half from Derry but its a nice walk along the river if you feel inclined to take your time and go for a walk. There is nothing near the hotel so if you want snacks or anything other than what you will find at the restaurant then be sure to take it with you since there are no vending machines on site or food behind the bar.

The hotels is used for wedding venues and other functions so you might find it can get quite busy at times. However, the staff at this hotel are very friendly and pleasant and everything is to a high standard. A good place to stay if you find yourself visiting Londonderry or also as a base for exploring the Giants Causeway Coast.

Room Tip: If you can try and get a room at the rear of the hotel rather than facing the main road.
1 Thank TAVAKLI