“Lovely hotel, great staff ”
Review of Everglades Hotel

Everglades Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Derry
“Lovely hotel, great staff ”
Reviewed 2 September 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel as a package deal & we were pleasantly surprised by the hotel, it was lovely.
All the staff were helpful & couldn't do enough for you.
The food in the restaurant was great & our waitress Mairead was a lovely lady & was good craic :-)
I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

Stayed September 2014
1 Thank Tinemum
EvergladesManager, General Manager at Everglades Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear guest

I would like to say thank you so much for taking the time to write such a glowing review of Our Everglades Hotel.
I know all of my staff will appreciate reading such a lovely review.
For that I thank you.

Neil Devlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We played Derry in the Europa League so had a full team and staff, not easy for any hotel with dietary requirements. Nothing was too much trouble for any member of staff, the rooms are spacious and immaculate. I will be sharing the delight of the Everglades with my family very shortly I hope.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fantastic review.
Let me say on behalf of all the staff and management here at The Everglades Hotel : Thank you and it was a pleasure to host your team.
I know all my staff enjoyed having you around the hotel. You created a wonderful atmosphere in the place.

we hope you make it to Europe next year and we would be lucky to have you.

Warm wishes

Reviewed 1 September 2014

I'll definitely be back here, sometimes you can find things wrong when you stay in a hotel but not this time. Every need tended too.. I would really recommend staying here. Food was amazing, friendly staff and the place was spotless.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Jaymoon1980
Dear guest

From all the staff here at the Everglades Hotel and myself. We would like to say thank you for writing such a wonderful review of our hotel.
We are delighted you enjoyed every aspect of your stay,
We hope you can make it back soon.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

Stayed recently at the Everglades and have to say that it was even better second time around. Having stayed for new years and really loved it, we couldn't wait to get back. We stayed for a wedding of our good friends. Once again the friendliness and professionalism of the staff was fantastic.

The hotel is very clean and tidy in all areas and the recently transformed lobby and reception is very welcoming and modern. The bedrooms were also nice with an exceptionally comfortable bed. We upgraded to a suite on our second night as it was free and it was really worth the extra money.

The wedding itself was great and food and service was very good. The staff were all very helpful.

Will definitely return soon for a weekend break as derry is a great city with very friendly people.

Thank you very much to all the staff for another great stay.
PS Breakfast is top notch.

• Stayed August 2014
EvergladesManager, General Manager at Everglades Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fantastic review.
My team here at The Everglades Hotel will really enjoy reading this.

Delighted we were able to exceed your expectations again.

belfast
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Another fabulous day at the Everglades in Derry. What a wedding! The whole experience was brilliant from start to finish. We had a lovely welcome from the lady on reception and our room was ready earlier than expected. Our room was spotless and modern and the bed was super comfy. The wedding room was beautifully decorated and the service from the staff during the whole day/ evening could not be faulted. Nothing was ever too much trouble. The food was excellent at the wedding and breakfast the following day was delicious. We had an amazing time and will definitely be back soon. Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mcguigl
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review of our hotel.
We love weddings at the hotel and we are delighted you really enjoyed your time here.
It means alot to my staff when they are recognised for doing a great job and when they make someones wedding day very special.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Having stayed here several times previously, I have to confess my stay this week was, by comparison, disappointing.

In no particular order, the bathroom was very small, with the wash basin cramped in one corner of the room. There was also nowhere in the shower to put shower gels/shampoo etc (other than the floor where they can easily fall over). Returning to the hotel on the second evening, I discovered that all the towels had been removed and not replaced - not the end of the world but still inconvenient.

Went to the bar on the second evening around 7pm to ask if they sold bar snacks. Was told that no bar snacks were sold after 6:30pm and that I would need to eat in the restaurant which, by this time, was full to bursting with two coach loads of tourists. Eventually common sense prevailed and our meals were brought into the bar, but still an unnecessarily complicated transaction.

One of those stays where it was a matter of many of the small things being not quite right. On the plus side, the big bed and free internet access are good, but still disappointed with my three night stay. One other observation is that the hotel clearly thrives on high occupancy through coach parties - perhaps those not on a coach tour could be treated as equals, and not as inferior to the tourist groups ?!

Room Tip: Ask for an even numbered room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sjd74
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property.
I apologise you did not get to experience us at our best.
I am sorry that we failed you in more than one occasion. I will be addressing these areas you have kindly pointed out.

I would be delighted if you decided to give us another chance upon returning to the City and if you did, could you email me on genmanager@egh.hastingshotels.com

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2014

When I booked this hotel I did so on my experience of other Hastings hotels and I think that's the first mistake I made. We paid £163.00 for two nights B&B in a family room for 2 adults and a 4-year old child. I thought for a 4 star rating this was a good price but with our visit behind us I now feel it was expensive for an average experience which is disappointing.

Our check-in was great and it was carried out by Keeleigh(apologies if incorrectly spelt). Moving through the lobby and passed the newly decorated lounge we were excited to get to our room. The room upon entering seemed lovely but not 4-star in our opinion. For a family room there weren't enough towels and only 2 tea cups but haven spoken to Keeleigh about this they were promptly delivered to our room. The most concerning thing about our room which was located on the 3rd floor, was the bedroom window. This window opened outwards leaving an opening of around 12 inches which if travelling with small children is a health & safety issue. Although there were small chains to prevent the window from opening further, the one on the right hand side was broken. I did speak to Keeleigh about this and she offered to move us to another room which we declined as we'd already unpacked and were satisfied we'd supervise our child at all times. Keeleigh did advise that there was no one in maintenance on site at that time who could repair the broken window chain. As the room faces onto a road with several houses, the room would benefit from either a net curtain or blinds instead of having to keep the heavy curtains closed.

There were ample tea/coffee supplies and toiletries in the bathroom and the beds were the most comfortable we've ever slept in even though you'd need a stepladder to climb onto them if you're small/short lol. The television is a great size and wifi has been upgraded to be in all the bedrooms free of charge. For a family room there was only 4 hangers which I found strange. There was no pen or pencil in the room and two small pages similar to post-it notes which was the extent of the stationery.

We would have ordered room service but with a £5 I think charge per tray that would have made a burger and chips around £17 each which is extortionate. Instead we used the wifi to search for a local Domino's Pizza and were able to order in for a total of £17 to feed the 3 of us.

When my husband went to use the shower he thought it didn't look right and used a baby wipe to wipe across the water holes in the shower head. By the time he'd finished cleaning it he'd used 5 wipes and the grime and mildew was black like soot. This must have been the first time it had been cleaned in quite some time. This is worrying as hotels carry so many customers from all over the world and germs thrive in an area such as a shower head.

After our 1st night we were really looking forward to breakfast but this turned out to be the most disappointing aspect of our stay. The breakfast room is also the evening dining room and it seemed very formal for a breakfast setting. There was plenty to choose from but the quality just wasn't there. The potato and soda bread looked and tasted undercooked and stale, the sausages tasted like cheap quality meat and the bacon was totally undercooked. On our 1st morning there was only one fried egg left at 9am and it looked like something that had been there overnight. I'm sure if we'd asked fresh eggs would have been cooked but if you're 4 star these are the types of things that you should be keeping a close eye on not relying on customer feedback to highlight. One thing that was lovely and indeed kind was one of the staff noticed our child wouldn't eat the food and she packed up a fresh croissant in a pink cardboard box for us to take with us. That was a lovely touch and the kind of standard I'd expect from a 4 star hotel.

All in all this was a disappointing first time visit to the Everglades Hotel and I think with more attention to detail it could very well be the 4 star hotel it purports to be. I have to say the reception and bar areas are beautiful given the recent sad event and I think it's unfair of customers to comment negatively about renovation works as they are essential. We did manage to see 2 of the suites in the hotel as staff were cleaning rooms on our floor and at 1st glance they seemed sumptuous and certainly 4 star.

We've a wedding to attend in Derry next May and based on our experience at the Everglades we won't be booking to stay here which I'm disappointed about because I'd like to be in a position to say better things about the hotel but I'm an honest customer who believes in honest reviews.

Room Tip: Try to get a suite although they weren't available as a choice when we booked on the internet th...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of our property.
I apologise you did not get to experience us at our best. And I am sorry we failed in more than one area.
I know my team would have reacted to these areas if they knew they had failed but I will be addressing these areas that you have pointed out.

Warm Regards