“Fabulous weekend”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Antrim
“Fabulous weekend”
Reviewed 29 March 2009

My wife and myself have just returned from a fabulous weekend at the Everglades hotel. The staff were really welcoming, and in particular I would like to mention the reception staff who were always on hand to provide info on shopping, attractions etc. We only ate in the hotel on one of the nights, but the standard of food was excellent, and the service, as in all parts of the hotel really good. My only comment would be that wine was a bit pricey.
Derry itself is a lovely city, and my wife enjoyed spending lots of MY MONEY in the local shops!!
I will be returning to Derry in the not so distant future and will definately be staying at the Everglades.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank robertslinda14

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Belfast
Reviewed 28 March 2009

Stayed here one Friday night. Felt hotel lacked atmosphere. Bedroom decor was dated. Bed seemed to have a waterproof sheet which was very clammy. Unlikely to stay again. Staff friendly though.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frequenttraveller083
EvergladesManager, General Manager at Everglades Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2009
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am pleased that you took the time to compliment our staff, as we put alot of time and effort into our customer service and I appreciate your kind remarks. I am dissapointed however, to hear that your overall experience was less than 100%, and I apologise for the inconvenience caused.
Feedback is very important to us, and I can assure you that I will take your comments onboard, to futher improve standards within the hotel. If you would like to discuss your comments further, I would be delighted to hear from you.
Kindest Regards
Stephen
Jozy36
Reviewed 19 September 2008

My husband and I have just returned from a fabulous weekend stay at the hotel. The food, service and overall ambience of the hotel were great. On the Saturday night there was entertainment in the lounge and it was great to relax in lovely surroundings. I will definately be returning.

• Liked — The Great Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jozy36
Derry
Reviewed 10 August 2008

we recently attended a friends wedding at this hotel and i have to say we had a great experience.
on arrival a large party of americans were checking in at the same time,but no delay here we were checked in promply and efficently and directed to our rooms by Brian the concierge.
The wedding reception was as impressive with great food and served by smartly dressed waiters,.the grand ballroom is indeed grand with its wonderful chandliers and the ambience is just great.
Bedrooms have been recently refubished and the beds are the most comfortable that we have found .

All in all a great week -end,well done Hastings .

• Liked — graet beds
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank oldred1
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 8 August 2008

My family and I have just returned from a a two day break in Derry. This was my first visit to the City and I was really impressed with every aspect (apart from the weather, but whats new for Northern Ireland!!)
We opted to stay at the Everglades as we have previously stayed in other Hastings Hotels properties and have always thoroughly enjoyed it. We were not to be dissapointed with our choice. The hotel, as previous reviewers have said, has been extensively refurbed, and in particular the lobby and lounge are very welcoming. Our room, although on the small side was beautifully appointed with all the modern amenities you would expect.
However with this all said the staff were by far its greatest asset. Everyone we encountered were friendly, welcoming and really went out of our way to be helpful. In particular, Brian the concierge was very helpful in organising taxis and giving us directions and info on places to visit.
I would definately recommend this hotel and also the Tower Museum which was excellent.

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Disliked — No leisure facilities on site
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank JT1NorthernIreland
Dublin
Reviewed 3 August 2008

A group of us stayed at the hotel to celebrate my friend's hen night. Lets just say we stood out! The other guests were mostly older couples and a few families, but it seemed mostly older couples.

Its a lovely hotel and the service was excellent, we had a lovely room, the beds were so comfy! Staff very friendly and quick to help. We had dinner in the restaurant and really enjoyed every morsel. We only had a short, very reasonably priced drive into the city! The residents bar was actually closed when we came back that night at only 12:30 (just an example of how quiet it actually is there).

I very highly recommend the hotel but probably more so for people looking for a very quiet stay.

• Liked — Service
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank FabMammy
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2008

I recently stayed in the Everglades for a 2 night break with my wife and two young children. The hotel was great. It is a little far out from the city, but the location is quiet. It is situtated near some main roads but we did not find any road noise to be problematic.

The rooms have been recently refurbished and in very good condition. (Although the refurb stopped a little short and some other aspects could have been included especially in the bathroom along with some repaint here as well). But all in all a very pleasant environment.

We found the hotel to be very quiet. There was very little life around and it was far from busy. However, this suited us as the kids could run around the hotel lobby without annoying anyone. There were a number of coach parties stopping over in the hotel mostly with older guests and they went to their rooms pretty early on. The staff were great and very relaxed as well as helpful.

The bar food was okay--not a wide choice and not overly expensive given it's a captive environment. It's a shame that the bar food stops at 7.00pm though--which means that your only other choice for food (apart from room service) is the main restaurant which is quite pricey and a little formal. we avoided this and drove to the city for dinner. The breakfasts, also served in this restaurant, were buffet affairs with a reasonably good choice (but limited on continental pastry side, no fruit yoghurts, etc). The cooked breakfast buffet was pretty good as well.

The bar prices are again aligned with a captive audience, although GBP7 for a glass of wine was a little sickening.

If you are thinking of booking take the time to look for a good rate. The rack rate is GBP140 for a double room B&B, which is pretty steep. The hotel website offers a bed only rate of GBP80 so that suggests GBP60 for breakfast for 2! I called the hotel and they offered a B&B rate of GBP120, so still pretty expensive at GBP40 for breakfast for 2! Their other specials on the website don't add up and seem inconsistent. Anyhow, I searched on Google and found a B&B rate for GBP80 with a discount hotel search engine. So at that price it was great value.

Overall, I'd recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Good value, clean and above average rooms
  • Disliked — Published room rates--search for a better deal on the web.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family