“Perfect for Everything”

Ranked #14 of 43 Derry B&B and Inns
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Perfect for Everything”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Groarty House is a new purpose built B&B. All bedrooms are large - the family room is huge - with comfy beds, wonderful showers, constant hot water, and a large comfy sitting room. All combinations of breakfast requirements were catered for and everything was well cooked and delicious. Margaret, John and Stuart couldn't have been more friendly, welcoming and helpful. We stored bikes in their locked up barn. It's a little way out of Derry, so was ideal for starting our bike rides into the surrounding countryside, but also getting into Derry was no problem - we either walked or got a cab. I couldn't recommend this wonderful B&B more highly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Groarty House and Manor B&B was the first guesthouse that came up when I did a search for Derry. I was so impressed with what I saw I looked no further. It was as good as I had expected. Lovely place, fabulous views and Margaret is a very friendly host.

Room Tip: We were in room at right on top of stairs - Beech Room - with two windows. See view from one of the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Groarty, Owner at Groarty House & Manor B&B, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thanks Fran for your positive review.
Dublin is not too far away hope to see you again soon.
regards Margaret, Stuart and John
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I had the pleasure of staying for 2 nights in this lovely b& b just on the outskirts of the maiden city. On arrival I was shown to my room and asked my requirements for breakfast and if I needed anything else. My room was spacious, clean & the en-suite had a walk in shower .The room had a large comfortable bed,T.V. with plenty of channels to chose from, free WI-FI, tea/coffee making facilities ,and the en-suite had shower gel & shampoo.
Margaret the owner met me in the morning for breakfast and showed me to the dining area which had a selection of cereals,fruit,juice to choose from before she arrived with your cooked breakfast which will set you up for your day ahead.
I found the Groarty Manor very relaxing and a pleasant place to stay and would recommend it to anyone on business or pleasure as it is within easy access of both the city and the border into Donegal.
I will be back .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Londonderry
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Once we entered the Bed and Breakfast, we were welcomed by the warmest of welcomes, with the most passionate couple, who obviously put a lot of work into their business. This was shown at how well the rooms were presented and how the breakfast was so well cooked with the highest of quality ingredients. The hosts new all about the town and the one of the two owners John offered us a lift to the the town and dropped us off outside the restaurant they recommended (Quaywest).
The beds were so comfy and the showers just blew me away with the power and supply of heat that they provided after a wet day in the city. The housekeeper Joyce, (The lady of the Manor) was so helpful and supplied us with some useful information, whilst also giving us a good laugh.
What a great weekends stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Very good country location just ten minutes from the centre of Derry City with ample secure parking. I had occasion to spend two nights here recently and was very happy with my choice.The rooms were clean and comfortable and the shower large and could easily accommodate two people. I got a good nights sleep ready for business on the following day. The Wi-Fi was good with adequate speeds. Breakfast was also good and I have put the address of this Guest House into my contacts so that I will have it to hand if I am ever in need of accommodation in Derry again. The hosts were very pleasant and accommodating, and eager to share information on the region.
On another note if you are in need of some handmade presents the woman of this house makes a variety of handmade crochet items some of which would make perfect gifts for children, these are displayed in the reception area and can be purchased if desired.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My wife and I have just spent two nights at Groarty B&B and while the accommodation is excellent and the staff on duty friendly and helpful we did have problems during our stay.

On our first night the heating, while working in the lower floor of the house, did not work in the guest rooms. The staff present did go to great effort to solve the problem and by late in the evening the room heating was working once again. On our second night the room heating stopped working mid way through the evening and did not work fully for the rest of our stay. luckily we had requested, and received, a portable electric heater and extra blankets on the first night so were OK.

On to breakfast, The breakfast that we sat down to during our stay were the very worst breakfast that we have eaten in our month of travelling Ireland. My wife had an omelet which resembled and had the taste appeal of a piece of old carpet garnished with two pieces of processed cheese. My full Irish breakfast was awful. Synthetic sausage, tough bacon and overcooked egg. For coffee I received a metal tea pot full of some awful brown fluid which was undrinkable. Also, no milk was provided. I took one sip of the 'coffee' and switched to orange juice.

So great accommodation in a lovely setting but faulty heating and awful food.

We would not stay there again and would not recommend to friends.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Groarty, Owner at Groarty House & Manor B&B, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you very much for your few positive comments. We are very sorry that our heating was not up to standard on this occasion. We take our holidays early in the season and were away at this time. Air must have got into the system and this was the problem with the intermittent heat.
Again I find it hard to believe that the breakfast was so terrible, when I checked with my staff they told me that they asked you and your wife if you wanted the same breakfast the next morning. Your wife changed to poached eggs, but you took a fried breakfast once again. So it couldn’t have been that terrible.
You made no complaints to the staff while you were on the premises, in fact the staff thought you were pleasant and were very surprised and shocked to read your review.
Milk was provided for cereals on the trolley, or you could have asked staff for some more.
As you do say we have a lovely setting for our Bed & Breakfast and we do endeavour to provide a good service to all our guests. Which most of the previous reviews reflect on their positive comments.
Regards
Margaret Hyndman
tyrone
Reviewed 15 April 2014

brilliant b and b less than 5 minutes from derry city centre. great host's great' room's and great food with lovely views over derry at night,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple