“Georgian charm”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Derry
Northern Ireland
“Georgian charm”
Reviewed 15 March 2011

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel for New Year's Eve and I was completely charmed. There was a little mix up when we were told that the restaurant was closed to host a gala ball but when we explained we would want something to eat, we were simply added to the gala ball guestlist at no extra cost! It's in a beautiful location with a stream running by. The bar is absolutely beautiful with a big open fire and lots of dark wood and chandelier lights. The restaurant was fantastic - we especially enjoyed the warm breads offered as a pre-starter. The rooms were lovely, cosy and had the shabby chic that I like in hotels because it gives them an atmosphere lacking in brand-name accommodation. If you, like me, are a fan of manor house hotels (this is a Georgian building transformed into a hotel about ten years ago) and are happy to ignore little things like aged mirrors in the bathroom in the interests of originality then this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Kilkenny
Reviewed 13 March 2011

Just home from a weekend stay at the beech hill with a female friend. We were on a girlie weekend away and had a lovely time in the hotel. A lovely country manor with lovely cosy rooms and a real lovely feel to the place. Our room was lovely and spacious. Had dinner on one night and was very tasty. Breakfast was nice..probably not as vast an array of foods as larger hotels but it was adequate. There were 2 weddings on there this weekend but as it was on in the Marque it didnt affect us noisewise at all. Overall a lovely stay, friendly staff and a lovely comfortable room. Would recommend it to anyone planning a trip to Belfast. Just outside Derry city and even thougn we had a car we got a taxi to town everytime we went in as only a £5 e/w standard fare.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
NORTHERN IRELAND
Reviewed 4 March 2011

I recently stayed at the Beech Hill with my partner for 1 night at the weekend. We arrived in the afternoon and were given a warm welcome by the lady on reception. She showed us to our room and gave us some information about the hotel. We had just settled into our room and got a knock on the door from another member of staff who said that he would like to upgrade us to another room which was not as close to the bar. We duly obliged and follwed him to our new room. The room we were given was a suite and it was superb. It had a living room which was nicely decorated with some paintings etc and sofas and 50" plasma tv. The bedroom was seperate and it was really impressive too. The bed was huge as was the bathroom which had free standing bath and a shower. The bedroom was again tastefully decorated and also had another 50" tv on the wall. The bed was really comfortable and probably the nicest I have ever slept in.
We were booked into the restaurant for 6pm on an early evening menu offer. This consisted of 3 courses and tea/coffee for £20 whcih was incredible value in my opinion as the food was delicious. Before our starter came we were offered some freshly baked breads which were delicious. Both my partner and i had tortellini for starter which was stuffed with butternut squash and also had duxelle of mushrooms and parmesan if i remember correctly. The pasta was really fresh and I enjoyed every mouthful.
For main course I had salmon which again was really tasty, my partner had chicken which she really enjoyed. The mains were served with creamy mash and fresh veg.
We both had a chocolate sweet which finished the meal off and the courses were an adequate size as you usually get smaller portions on early bird menus but not here. We both left the restaurant very satisfied customers. For breakfast the next morning there was an array of choices both cold and hot and the sausages and bacon were really tasty compared to what I have had in other hotels. The staff were really attentive and couldn't do enough. I would really recommend this hotel and I am sure we will return in the near future.

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
county down
Reviewed 28 February 2011

I actually won this trip though a competition and it was quite a distance for us to travel - over 100 miles, but boy, was it worth it!!!!!!

The hotel itself is a Manor House and very traditional in decor. We were shown to our room and were delighted to find we had been allocated a suite - what can I say - it was fantastic. The bed was the biggest I have ever seen, and the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. The decor was muted tones of greens, creams and beiges with floral accessories and was very, very nice. There was a bathroom with toilet and a separate toilet in our suite, a dressing room, bedroom, living area and 2 large flatscreen televisions - one in each room. There was a hairdryer, tea and coffee making facilities and an iron and ironing board.

We dined in the hotel and ate of the early bird menu, which cost us £19,95 each for 3 courses plus tea/coffee. The service in the restaurant is the best I have experienced with the waiters making sure our every need was met, without being intrusive - our water glasses were never empty. I loved the fact that they came round with freshly baked bread with our starter - curry bread, tomato bread, banana bread, soda bread, wheaten bread to name but a few - I could have feasted on these alone - they were beautiful. The meal itself was first class and the presentation fantastic - my husband and I both agreed it was fantastic value for the price we paid.

Breakfast and dinner were both eaten in the conservatory which had beautiful views of the hotels grounds. Breakfast was a self serve buffet with a choice of cereter als, fresh fruits, breads, porridge, and the the traditional fried breakfast variety.

After breakfast we took a leisurely walk around the beautiful grounds, which had waterfalls, waterwheels, rivers and lots of lovely walks. The hotel is only about 2 miles outside Londonderry and we drove in to Londonderry (The walled City) and walked around 'Derry's Walls'.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and if I am in the area again, I will definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2011

How could I begin to share the amazing experience of the Beech Hill with you all. Located so close to Derry city and yet a million miles away from the hustle and bustle of the world. You could feel the warmth of the welcome from the moment we arrived and there was nothing false in those smiles. Sure we had the internet, flat screen TV etc in our fantastic room but the classic elegant antic furniture told you this was a place of real history, and a place we could really relax in.
Food? If you want burger and chips sail on by but if you want GOOD food, "Mamma I'm home". The quality and selection was stunning. Ever mouthful a joy to be cherished. When it came to the puddings I though the sounds my wife made with every delicios mouthful was going to get us thrown out lol.
After coffee and a few drinks by the fireside in the lounge that big comfortable bed was a welcome sight and come morning the heavy fall of snow had converted the beautiful hotel grounds into a winter wonderland. I couldn't resist taking some photos as I wandered the woodland walks past the water wheel on the pond with the wild ducks and the trees dusted white.
The hearty breakfast soon thawed me out on my return.
Would I recommend it? You try and stop me. Oh how I love the place and it amazes me how many people know of it's name and great reputation but haven't tried the experience.
All I can say is the welcome and stay we had in the Beech Hill is the best experience we have ever had in any hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2011

arrived very early, about 11, and was given refreshments until our room was ready. Reception could not have been nicer. Room was fantastic and food delicious............
Grounds were amazing and beatiful to walk in, and take pictures. Steeped in history too, so very interesting pictures on the walls.
Excellent value for money, will deffinately go back.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2011

just returned from the Beechill where my wife and i had an absolutely amazing meal. this place really does pull out all the stops when it comes to food. both our main courses of lamb and cod were cooked to perfection wjth ample portions whilst the freshness of the vegetables was obvious due the flavour. as always the standard of service was second to none with Roy and his colleagues extremely attentive with nothing being too much trouble- if in the area do not miss this place. i most certainly will return for more of the fabulous fare available at the Beechill.

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple