“ruby wedding anniversary”

Beech Hill Country House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Reviewed 21 September 2011

very good service in bar and dining room.
When I rang to make booking I requested 2 b&b and 2 dinners and champagne on arrival and was given a price of 140 stg pp sharing and62 stg. I also gave my email for confirmation but this was not received by me. I was not offered the special offer on the web.
For a superior room it was basic and tap water was cloudy so one would expect to have complimentary bottled water. Room was just normal to hotel standards and quite large. Access to room was poor with a combination of stairs and lift. Nice TV in room to watch world cup and breakfast in room was very good.
The web advertised a golf course beside hotel FORGET IT it was more like a building site.
ON checkout When I got my bill I was charged an extra 2 evening meals, i queried this and was told that it was on the computer for only one night. They looked up the confirmations and of course it was not there. I was then told that Nora who took the booking had left the employ
in addition I had spent another 200stg on fine wines ,champagne, lunches etc.

I believe I was ripped off !!!!

Room Tip: Check out rates it is a very expensive hotel for what you get
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank arthur22Ireland

Reviewed 13 September 2011

Stayed at Beech Hill with two friends for a night last week. The £70 offer for Bed, breakfast and 3 course dinner was very good value. The dinner was great, i can recommend the belly pork, yum! The choices available for breakfast was very impressive. One of my friends required a glutton free diet and she was very impressed with the choices avialble to her and the variety of glutton free breads etc available.

The staff were very friendly and attentive, accommadation very good and the surroundings excellent. Relaxing in the bar, beside the fire having a drink and putting the world to rights was just what we needed for a nice break to recharge the batteries. Will be back.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2011

In our tour around ireland this Summer, we decided to use this hotel to stay a single night. We called them ahead explaining that we might be delayed because we were visiting the beautiful Giant's Causeway.
We were warmly greated at our arrival and given a huge (really huge) room, overlooking the private fields. Everything was very clean, only "but" is that decoration in the room, as huge as it was was a bit poor (poor in the sense of nothing in the walls and not much furniture). On the contrary, the rest of the property, used by the allied during second world war as a command center, was beautifully decorated. Fitness center was closed by refurbishment....I guess will reopen soon.
Bottom line is that if we ever go back to that part of Northern Ireland we would go again to this hotel, full of charm.
BTW, the inhouse restaurant is very good (a bit expensive)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Very nice country house hotel. We were upgraded to a fabulous room.
Restaurant was very good indeed at a reasonable price and the service was professional and friendly. Breakfasts are buffet but good.
Nice grounds and not far out of city centre by car.
This is an excellent choice for a holiday trip to Derry.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Very nice welcome on arrival, great spacious room, fantastic bed, bathroom slightly basic and wee bit noisy at night but I slept well. Breakfast good and a nice location. Would recommend it.

Room Tip: Go for room 26, good view
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ballyard-boy
Reviewed 30 August 2011

A very pleasant hotel. We were looked after extremely well and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the hotel. The staff are very helpful, friendly and went the extra mile to ensure we were looked after. We would certainly visit again. We enjoyed the food, the gardens and the accomodation. Many Thanks.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2011

From the moment you pass the gatehouse and approach the hotel down the sweeping drive you can sense the peace and beauty of this idyllic country house hotel. It was this air of muted and effortless quality that attracted my daughter and her fiancee to hold their wedding reception at the Beech Hill. After having viewed numerous other establishments in Ireland and England, she looked at me within minutes of arriving and, with the satisfied smile of someone whose search was at an end, she said 'This is it'.
The wedding party numbered some 120 guests from Ireland, England, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland and USA; to a person all the guests were absolutely delighted with the 'Beech Hill' experience.
The grounds are a pleasure to ramble or stroll around; you are in a haven of natural beauty and tranquility. Then a relaxing drink in the lounge with Seamus the co-proprietor and soak in the understated luxury that envelops the entire building. My wife and I stayed in the Presidential suite, once occupied by President Bill Clinton. The room is spacious and sumptious with beautiful views overlooking the grounds.
As most of the guests stayed for two nights they were able to sample the delights of both the wedding banquet and the hotel restaurant. The banquet was a stunning success, quality beef, sourced locally and roasted to perfection.The 'A la Carte' in the restaurant offered a mouth watering selection, and the dining experience of the evening meal, afternoon tea and breakfast, surpassed my high expectations. Quality ingredients, imaginative and professional cooking, beautiful presentation and friendly organised service.
Indeed all the staff were friendly, informative,quietly efficient (lest they disturb the ambiance) and thoroughly professional in every way. Nothing was too much trouble. This included both the experience on the wedding weekend and in the build up during the months before.
As another reviewer on this site stated; the jewel in the crown is Patsy co-proprietor and sister of Seamus. Patsy's skill and efficiency is incredible. You can relax because you know that she is in quiet control, and yet she has still the time and the desire to have a friendly chat. I cannot speak more highly of her.
We all left the Beech Hill with a heavy heart as we drove out past the gatehouse into the real world again, but we all vowed that at the earliest opportunity we will return.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family