“Loved it!”

Beech Hill Country House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I stayed in the hotel with my daughter in August 2011. We were a bit daunted by some of the unfavourable reviews that we read, but the hotel was highly recommended by a friend who has relatives in the local area. We were not disappointed. The hotel is lovely, warm and welcoming set in fantastic grounds. The staff went out of their way to be hospitable. We had a sneak peek at the room where former President Clinton stayed and found the displays and photographs (especially of the Kennedy family) very interesting.

Dinner was wonderful and the breakfasts were substantial with a great deal of choice.

We would highly recommend this hotel and cannot wait to return there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the newer block and the room was large with good facilities.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MaureenLondonUK

Reviewed 17 November 2011

This hotel is well worth a visit. The setting is superb, with beautiful grounds, and is just outside Londonderry, which has worked hard to offer visitors a worthwhile experience. It would be a great centre for a touring holiday.. It is only 2 minutes from the main Belfast- Londonderry road and is thus easily reached. The hotel's main attraction for me is the wonderful, peaceful ambience, largely due to the generously sized and tastefully furnished rooms.rooms. there is nothing plastic or artificial here. The staff are very friendly and the breakfasts were excellent. Next time we visit, we will try dinner: I'm sure it will be good.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Harry L
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Coming to Derry for Halloween is a must for all who want to have a great experience. There was something for everyone, from the ghost bus trips, spooky walks, or the Playhouse actors re-enacting ghostly experiences or wonderful tales of the past. This year the Beech Hill made the most of the bank holiday weekend by offering us a couple of nights of very varied entertainment in their wonderful Manor House.
Dinner in the Ardmore restaurant was simply stunning. The dinner menu we selected from offers a great selection of local produce cooked with imagination and flare. It also proved to be excellent value. Our room proved that comfort was one of the Beech Hill's main aims and the luxury and quality in our beautiful room dressed with quality antique furniture made sure we had a great night's sleep. Breakfast was again in the Ardmore restaurant and the variety and quality was superb and very filling. It was so good lunch was not necessary as we prepared ourselves for the Sunday night festivities.
This was the highlight of our weekend when a local group of actors from the Derry Playhouse put on such a wonderful spooky but informative evening of entertainment. In the large crowd you could have heard a pin drop as each ghost story was re enacted with great effect. I was glad of the light relief in the lounge afterwards to numb my fears before bedtime.
I was glad of the walk in the beautiful gardens this morning to help clear my head and take the opportunity to take some photographs as the brown leaves fell like rain from the multi-colored tawny trees.
A return visit is definitely in our plans to help us through a long winter.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 31 which offers a view over the waterwheel. I believe that President Clinton also...
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed in Beech Hill Country House for 1 night on the 29th October. I am surprised by some of the negative reviews as we enjoyed everything about our stay. We travel extensively and would certainly return to Beech Hill House. The Edwardian building is very beautiful as are the surrounding grounds. We were greeted in a friendly manner by the receptionist and the girl who took us to our bedroom was also friendly and helpful. We had booked a superior room and were delighted with our room (room 30). If you prefer modern hotels, this is not for you. We had a very large comfortable bed and the room was decorated with period furniture, exactly what I would expect from a Country House Hotel.

I am surprised at some previous comments regarding food and drink being expensive, we found the prices reasonable for a hotel - 2 gin and tonics £9, glass of wine £5.75. This is no more expensive than a city centre bar, hotels being much more expensive. We ate in the restaurant in the evening and the food was very good. You can choose from a set menu or an a la carte. The set menu is less than £30 for 3 courses and tea/coffee. We thought this to be excellent value considering the quality of the food. I had haddock gratin to start and chicken bonne femme for my main course. My partner chose from the a la carte menu and had ham hock terrine to start and venison for his main course. We were very happy with all dishes. You can purchase a bottle of decent house wine for under £17 and of course there are more expensive wines available. The restaurant was quiet, only 4 tables being used when we ate. I found the restaurant lacked character compared to the rest of the hotel, however, I do think it would be lovely in the summer or for lunch as you are looking out to the beautiful grounds.

We had breakfast in our room the following morning and again were happy with the quality of the food.

All members of staff were friendly, reception, bar, restaurant and room service. We had a lovely time and look forward to returning to the Beech Hill in the future.

Reviewed 30 October 2011

This was my first ever visit to Derry and to my delight I had the opportunity to stay at Beech Hill. After the overnight flight from the US and the drive from Belfast I was pretty tired. No sooner than I stepped through the door when Patsy greeted be and said that I needed some tea and banana bread. That advice was spot on! The ambiance of the hotel provided much more value than the sterile evironment of a global hotel chain property. Then came the surprise of the restaurant. Nothing short of outstanding. I am now a confirmed fanatic when it comes to Irish soda bread. My company has a plant near by so I hope that I can find more reasons to visit them and saty at Beech Hill. Great hospitality Patsy!!!

Room Tip: The lower level wing. So quiet I could hear a pin drop.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We have eaten here a lot of times and have never been disappointed.The surroundings,inside and out are great,the service good and the food never fails to impress.Patsy and her staff are friendly and welcoming,nothing is too much trouble.We had an afternoon tea here for a family birthday and were treated like royalty! The grounds are ideal for a walk before/ after eating although the lovely lounge with a fire at each end may entice you to relax in a cosy armchair instead!Would recommend it to family and friends

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Beech Hill is a property full of character and history. The property was once used by the US Marines as a base during the War and the walls are adorned with the pictures of Amercian Presidents, politicians and other celebrities who have stayed here. The hotel is spotlessly clean, very tranquil and relaxing. There are large grounds attached to the property and is a beautiful place to wander. The hotel is even pet friendly and animals are treated like one of the guests. My wife and I had dinner in Beech Hill on both evenings during our stay and the food was excellent. The menu had a wide range of dishes from which to choose, sourced mainly from local produce. The staff are friendly and very hard working. John, who tends the bar in the very comfortable lounge, will keep your drink topped up!
We had breakfast in our room on both mornings and it arrived precisely when requested. There is a chioce of continental and cooked breakfast. We had the full Irish and was very tasty. Rooms are simple but have everything you need including tea and coffee making facilites. Just a few miles from the historic city of Derry this is an ideal base from which to explore the North West of Northern Ireland. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Don't leave the dog at home or in kennels - bring them with you to Beech Hill. There are rooms d...