“Fantastic”

Beech Hill Country House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Reviewed 17 July 2008

Excellent Hotel, well priced if you decide to stay 2 nights and get the midweek special including a fantastic dinner, with wine ( not included) at affordable prices.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank josebtesh
There are newer reviews for Beech Hill Country House Hotel

Reviewed 25 June 2008

we stayed for one night in june, had a lovely time-food excellent, room amazing, staff really lovely & friendly.

will return to stay longer-worth every penny

many thanks to all concerned.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank divera67
Reviewed 17 June 2008

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights on a mid-week break in Mid May 2008 specifically for my wifes birthday (and our first visit to the hotel). We both found the hotel, its owners and staff, to be warm and friendly.
Because of its popularity, the restaurant does get very busy at night, especially when the hotel is host to a group of diners (and drinkers) who are frequently from the 'movers and shakers' of Northern Ireland. (Bear in mind this where President Clinton stayed, as have many other famous people and it is extremely popular).
Dinner is a drawn out affair because the high quality food is prepared to order, you shouldn't expect any less at the prices you are paying. The choice of food is varied and will not be to everyones liking because of its distinctly 'gourmet' style, but what is served is excellent, well prepared and extremely well presented. You do need to take the time to study the menu and ask many questions of the staff to be absolutely sure what it is you are ordering, but that's part of the enjoyable pre-dinner routine.
A good wine list, at fairly reasonable prices, supports the dining experience.
The grounds (18 acres) are amazing for a location so close to Derry, although mainly treed with large beech trees (from which the hotel gets its name) there are numerous shrubbed areas, grassed areas, several lakes (one with fish) an old ruin and a water wheel. A stroll around the gravel pathways is pleasant, peacful and rewarding with the quietness only broken by the cawing of rooks.
The rooms are exactly what you expect from an old property (which this is) and are spacious, quiet and have large comfortable beds. This isn't a Hilton or a Ramada, thank goodness, but is a peacful retreat from the 'rat race' and a superb base from which you can explore Derry and Donegal with ease.
As others have said, breakfast (at rush time of 8am to 9am) is anything but that which you would expect in a hotel of this calibre, but with so many of the guests wanting fed at exactly the same time (so that they can dash off to do whatever they plan to do) I don't see any alternative other than the 'serve yourself' service. If however you wait until the 'day workers' have departed, usally around 9 am or shortly thereafter, then you can have a quiet, relaxing breakfast which you order from the friendly waiting staff and it will be cooked especially for you. (Maybe at weekends it is a different story, but certainly midweek it was absolutely first class).
Would we return ? There's no question about it, we will return, hopefully very frequently, to a most warm and welcoming location.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eldergeek
Reviewed 7 May 2008

please do something about breakfast. it may seem trivial, but if I'm paying above average prices, I'm expecting above average service etc. When we arrived in the restaurant at 10.45, the room was already very full and we had to stand like two spare parts until a pleasant but hassled-looking waiter appeared. He pointed to a table in the corner which we sat down at. Observing the melee at the far end of the dining room, it dawned on us that breakfast was going to be one of those godawful DIY jobs!! Starving with hunger, we elbowed our way through the other bemused diners and helped ourselves to what is quite possibly the least appetising breakfast we've ever had. The sausages were inedible (but only discovered this having chewed on the biggest piece of gristle ever - yuk!) and the rest of the food was cold and sad-looking. They ran out of "fresh" orange juice, when we asked for more, the waiter emerged from the kitchen with a jug of iced water which he poured on top of what was left of the orange juice!! And for the record, I REFUSE to toast my own bread when I'm paying good money for B&B! If I want to burn my toast, I'll do so in the comfort of my own home.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2008

I don't know what everyone's complaining about. Maybe it's just a bit hit and miss depending on how busy they are. But I stayed here for the third time over about 4 yearsand it was wonderful, even though I had booked a cheapo internet deal my room got upgraded to a superior room with a massive, extremely comfortable bed and a fireplace. I was expecting the restaurant to have gone a bit downhill after reading recent trip advisor reviews but the service was warm and friendly while still being professional. The food was outstanding and I had a huge portion of perfectly cooked flavoursome venison, I don't even remember seeing venison on the menu in another restaurant in Derry. Delicious apple crumble to follow. And yes, it was expensive, maybe if you're travelling on the American dollar it works out too pricey, but it was the best meal I've had out in a long time and for me it was well worth the money I paid. The house is gorgeous and I even enjoyed waiting for my taxi home sitting in the sun out the front with the birds chirping on one side and the stream gurgling on the other. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and I'll definitly be back.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank ShakkaKhan
Reviewed 28 February 2008

The hotel itself is OK, and grounds are lovely, but the restaurant is to be avoided at all costs. Food is grossly over-priced and over-rated was served luke-warm. Portions are tiny, and we had to ask three times for our drinks order to be taken. There are many other places in the Derry area where you can get much more, for much less cash.

Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank barryjohnsmith
Reviewed 12 January 2008

Yes its old & steeped in history, so they've made as much as they can of it. Yes the grounds are lovely, so long as you don't stray too far and yes, the proprieter will give you a warm, personal reception, until you dare to suggest something could be improved (as we were told she's "been doing it for 20 years you know", so don't assume as a paying guest your opinion counts)!

We spent two nights in The Beech Hill at an inflated rate (oh and don't assume that bookings made over the internet will be honoured!). We ate in the Ardmore restaraunt on the first night & although the food was very good, the service left a lot to be desired. Breakfast was a shambolic mess of luke-warm buffet style fayre surrounded by dirty tables. I could go on to describe the inadequacies of the rooms in detail but previous reviews have it mostly covered.

On checking out we had been over-charged on several items but of course only the owner/ manger / wedding co-ordinator / maitre'd / waitress / porter could deal with our complaint (see the Faulty Towers review!) or indeed operate the credit card machine. As opposed to a relaxing stay it was the most frustrating break I've had, but at least I was glad to return to normality!

The house is old & does have a lovely ambiance; I can see how the owner is so defensive & protective of it. Unfortunately in a modern-day competitive market with more travellers having experience of much better hotels (deserving of 4 stars) passion is not enough. I fear customer expectations will stay beyond the capabilities of the present management. A pity.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank finlaybob