“Amazing location, service & food”

Beech Hill Country House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Derry, United Kingdom
“Amazing location, service & food”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We were married in the Beech Hill. It was an extraordinary day and the setting and staff had a huge part to play in that. They were endlessly willing to help with arrangements where they could, very welcoming on the day and they took great care of us and all of our guests. The grounds are one big photo opportunity. The food was of a faultless high standard. (Definitely go for the cooked breakfast!) We'd recommend the Beech Hill for weddings big and small. Another bonus: it's very close to the town but it's secluded enough to feel like you are in deep countryside.

• Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Martin of Enniskillen must have checked into the wrong establishment!!

I have been to Beech Hill Hotel Derry on a number of occasions all for different reasons. Wedding, business and pleasure. Having stayed in most room types I feel I can give a fair overall viewpoint.

The standard room I stayed in the old part of the hotel, when attending a wedding approx. 7 years ago, while small I found it suitable for my one night stay, clean, comfortable and suffice for the price.

On another occasion I was there on business during mid week visit. Having been given a free upgrade to a Superior Room which was really very nice, in the new part of the hotel. A colleague of mine was upgraded to a Junior Suite which we used to conduct our business meetings during 2 day stay. The stay proved very cost effective to our business and we would use Beech Hill again.

My 3rd visit was during Valentines Weekend. This time I stayed in the Master Suite, with partner. Sunday evening booking, taking up on the special offer, B&B & Evening Meal, ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS and well worth the slightly extra cost. She thought it is the best place she has ever stayed in. And the Master Suite "fit for a princess." She said. A lounge, bedroom, bathroom all separate. Two 50 inch flat screen televisions. French Windows onto rear patio area. (Unfortunately Beech Hill could not arrange the weather that weekend, ha ha !!). Though nothing else was a problem to them.

Staff at Beech Hill are among the best I have come across. Martin and I agree on this, however he commented on the general appearance and how he felt it did not warrant 4 star status. Beech Hill must stay as it is. It is part of the local and international history with US Marine Corp being billeted there during WWII. Lots of very interesting items and historic items to view while relaxing around the hotel. It is homely, yet has a stately feel, and is very authentic. Unlike the corporate looking spaces we see in some hotels these days.

Anyone wishing to stay there will note it is in the countryside, it has a country manor feeling, however 10 minute drive you can also be in the wonderful historic and yet contemporary 'Ancient Walled City of Derry'.

Food and service are exemplary. Cannot be faulted. With large open lounges, with open fires, comfortable large sofa type seating, and so on. I have stayed in 5 star hotels, including the recently famed resort hotel in Enniskillen. And the Donegal one beside the lough and castle. Beech Hill I enjoyed as much as either of these 5 star hotels. It also caters very well for weddings and various sized family occasions with a medium size events annex built in the grounds.

Conclusion - I believe Beech Hill is well worth a visit even if it is just for a meal, afternoon tea, or a short stay. It well deserves the 4 Star rating. And if you look at the various pictures on the walls of the hotel you will note the US Presidents and various types of celebrity and very famous people have stayed or visit Beech Hill. Check out for their special offers, (you can get 2 star prices there, for 4 star services), you know what you are paying before you arrive there, you will not be disappointed.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Having read some great reviews on this property which is supposed to be 4 star, I would beg to differ. First impression, nice building on outside. But as we entered the property things went downhill. Paid for an upgrade to a superior room, wouldn't have liked to have seen what a standard room was like. Room décor very poor, 2 single beds pushed together to form a kingsize bed. Only 1 single electric socket, mirror very dirty, very small TV mounted above bathroom door. Bathroom had small shower, which was difficult to turn in and I am not that big, be prepared to walk in and reverse out if you are of large proportion!!!! Toilet roll was like sandpaper, and only half a roll supplied. Towels like face clothes, not enough of them. Light above mirror in bathroom not working. Small tables and plates in restaurant, food was nice. Staff very attentive, polite and courteous. Overall view, not worth money I paid, poor standard. Needs refurbished inside. 2 Star standard at 4 Star prices. Wont be back and definitely wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Martin A
Malin Head, Ireland
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We recently had a fantastic couple of days at the Beech Hill for my Husbands 50th Birthday. Our Family came from London, Galway, Manchester, Liverpool and Wales and being so close to Derry Airport it was so easy to co-ordinate. The Hotel is fantastic, very interesting and full of history, the rooms large and elegant and all the staff extremely friendly and helpful, nothing is too much trouble. The food is fantastic and plentiful, the breakfast has great choice and with a late service. We will definitely be back and would highly recommend this hotel to anybody visiting Derry - it feels as if you are in the Country but within 5 minutes you can be in the City Centre.

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong with any of the rooms at the Beech Hill and I know if there was a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Hazel M
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel as part of a work engagement and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel has amazing character and the owner exudes true warmth and welcome to all guests. The food was delicious and plentiful with some of our party making requests for items not on the menu and this was readily accommodated. I will definitely return for a more leisurely stay.

Stayed January 2014
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

A hidden gem, wonderful service, staff, room and food. From arriving to the day I left they cannot do enough for you, the rooms be they in the old or new part of the hotel are stunning, the gardens and water fall are divine, food is simply wonderful.

The military history room is a must see.

One of the nicest places I have stayed in, will be coming back with the wife later in the year and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone

Room Tip: Try and get a room in the old part of the hotel, simply charming
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Garry S
Sligo, Ireland
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Just returned from a two day stay in The Beech Hill Country House Hotel in Derry. This hotel was the former base for the US Marines during WW2 and some of their Nissen type huts still remain in the hotel grounds. A Museum room gives full information on the Marines time in Northern Ireland and the hallways are liberally decorated with photographs of various Marines and events of the time. I spent some time looking at photos and reading up on the history of the time and to top it all off I trained like a marine (not) with a few walks and runs through the many walking trails in the grounds of Beech Hill. But enough of the history lesson and on to the Hotel. From the moment we arrived to a warm and friendly welcome we felt right at home at this hotel. Check-in was flawless and we were shown to the room which was downstairs so views were limited. This room was given to us because we had a small dog with us and the room was very suitable as it was located beside an outside door that led to the hotel grounds so doggy was happy. The room itself was perfect with the largest and most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. There was an ensuite bathroom with great shower Lots of storage facilities. If I had one gripe it was that there was a distinct shortage of clothes hangers but there was sufficient drawer storage. We did not ask for more hangers but I'm sure we would have got some if we had done so. Now to the food. As we had booked dinner on both nights we were hoping that the food was all that previous reviews had said it was. We needed have no fears in that regard. The dinner was divine. Starters were excellent, I had the foie gras pate on both nights while my wife had goat cheese salad one night and a mushroom risotto the other night. Main course was duck and steak for myself and salmon and shoulder of lamb for my wife. Good selection of desserts on the menu and my favourite was the selection of ice cream and sorbets. All food was served by attentive and friendly staff as was our pre and after dinner drinks in the comfortable lounge. The breakfast each morning was beautiful with a great selection of food as well as the standard full Irish. All in all we would highly recommend a stay in the Beech Hill House and we will definitely be back

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple