“Great treat”

Beech Hill Country House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

My wife & I stayed here on Friday night for a little treat for ourselves. Great history accompanied the equally great room, service and fantastically tasty food. Plus the bar stocked my favourite Talisker single malt scotch! Breakfast was superb also with a wide range on offer. Will definitely be going back here again.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank doc42travel2016

Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed as a party of five for one night. The rooms were excellent, one had four poster bed and a suite of furniture and an amazing bathroom, one was huge and well equipped and the third room (ours) was modern with everything we could possibly want. The staff were welcoming and friendly. We had dinner in the restaurant which was also very good. Quite small portions though delicious and beautifully presented. Breakfast was excellent with a super choice and variety of food on offer. This was my third visit and yet again the hotel lived up to its great reputation. Will be back soon,,

Room Tip: Room 20 if you fancy a four poster bed, or the new rooms.....but all the rooms have a charm of their...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We were there for a post-Christmas surprise getaway. The house is beautiful and full of history. We checked into a spacious dual-facing room that gets plenty of sunlight and a lovely view. We were exhausted after the Christmas rush and the big comfortable bed was welcoming. The bathroom is dated but very clean, with plenty of clean towels. However it was equipped with a shower instead of a bath, which was a disappointment.
The Ardmore restaurant is very well run and serves a very good breakfast and an excellent dinner. The lounge was my favourite cosy spot for a few drinks with fireplaces for a romantic setting, but you'd get a commentary if an order for hot whiskey is taken.
The service cannot be faulted. The bartender even gave us a tour of the museum with an enchanting history of the estate.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We were married in the Beech Hill. It was an extraordinary day and the setting and staff had a huge part to play in that. They were endlessly willing to help with arrangements where they could, very welcoming on the day and they took great care of us and all of our guests. The grounds are one big photo opportunity. The food was of a faultless high standard. (Definitely go for the cooked breakfast!) We'd recommend the Beech Hill for weddings big and small. Another bonus: it's very close to the town but it's secluded enough to feel like you are in deep countryside.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Martin of Enniskillen must have checked into the wrong establishment!!

I have been to Beech Hill Hotel Derry on a number of occasions all for different reasons. Wedding, business and pleasure. Having stayed in most room types I feel I can give a fair overall viewpoint.

The standard room I stayed in the old part of the hotel, when attending a wedding approx. 7 years ago, while small I found it suitable for my one night stay, clean, comfortable and suffice for the price.

On another occasion I was there on business during mid week visit. Having been given a free upgrade to a Superior Room which was really very nice, in the new part of the hotel. A colleague of mine was upgraded to a Junior Suite which we used to conduct our business meetings during 2 day stay. The stay proved very cost effective to our business and we would use Beech Hill again.

My 3rd visit was during Valentines Weekend. This time I stayed in the Master Suite, with partner. Sunday evening booking, taking up on the special offer, B&B & Evening Meal, ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS and well worth the slightly extra cost. She thought it is the best place she has ever stayed in. And the Master Suite "fit for a princess." She said. A lounge, bedroom, bathroom all separate. Two 50 inch flat screen televisions. French Windows onto rear patio area. (Unfortunately Beech Hill could not arrange the weather that weekend, ha ha !!). Though nothing else was a problem to them.

Staff at Beech Hill are among the best I have come across. Martin and I agree on this, however he commented on the general appearance and how he felt it did not warrant 4 star status. Beech Hill must stay as it is. It is part of the local and international history with US Marine Corp being billeted there during WWII. Lots of very interesting items and historic items to view while relaxing around the hotel. It is homely, yet has a stately feel, and is very authentic. Unlike the corporate looking spaces we see in some hotels these days.

Anyone wishing to stay there will note it is in the countryside, it has a country manor feeling, however 10 minute drive you can also be in the wonderful historic and yet contemporary 'Ancient Walled City of Derry'.

Food and service are exemplary. Cannot be faulted. With large open lounges, with open fires, comfortable large sofa type seating, and so on. I have stayed in 5 star hotels, including the recently famed resort hotel in Enniskillen. And the Donegal one beside the lough and castle. Beech Hill I enjoyed as much as either of these 5 star hotels. It also caters very well for weddings and various sized family occasions with a medium size events annex built in the grounds.

Conclusion - I believe Beech Hill is well worth a visit even if it is just for a meal, afternoon tea, or a short stay. It well deserves the 4 Star rating. And if you look at the various pictures on the walls of the hotel you will note the US Presidents and various types of celebrity and very famous people have stayed or visit Beech Hill. Check out for their special offers, (you can get 2 star prices there, for 4 star services), you know what you are paying before you arrive there, you will not be disappointed.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Having read some great reviews on this property which is supposed to be 4 star, I would beg to differ. First impression, nice building on outside. But as we entered the property things went downhill. Paid for an upgrade to a superior room, wouldn't have liked to have seen what a standard room was like. Room décor very poor, 2 single beds pushed together to form a kingsize bed. Only 1 single electric socket, mirror very dirty, very small TV mounted above bathroom door. Bathroom had small shower, which was difficult to turn in and I am not that big, be prepared to walk in and reverse out if you are of large proportion!!!! Toilet roll was like sandpaper, and only half a roll supplied. Towels like face clothes, not enough of them. Light above mirror in bathroom not working. Small tables and plates in restaurant, food was nice. Staff very attentive, polite and courteous. Overall view, not worth money I paid, poor standard. Needs refurbished inside. 2 Star standard at 4 Star prices. Wont be back and definitely wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Martin A
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We recently had a fantastic couple of days at the Beech Hill for my Husbands 50th Birthday. Our Family came from London, Galway, Manchester, Liverpool and Wales and being so close to Derry Airport it was so easy to co-ordinate. The Hotel is fantastic, very interesting and full of history, the rooms large and elegant and all the staff extremely friendly and helpful, nothing is too much trouble. The food is fantastic and plentiful, the breakfast has great choice and with a late service. We will definitely be back and would highly recommend this hotel to anybody visiting Derry - it feels as if you are in the Country but within 5 minutes you can be in the City Centre.

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong with any of the rooms at the Beech Hill and I know if there was a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family